Thread: Crosby, Stamkos, or Ovie?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Crosby, Stamkos, or Ovie?

I see a lot of Crosby love still, but i'm not sold. The fear of the concussion has me skurred.

I have 2nd pick in a new keeper league. Details are in sig. I'm almost postiive Geno is going #1.

Would it be dumb to take Stamkos over Crosby?

I'm equally torn with the fear of taking Crosby and him getting another concussion as I am with passing on the best player in the NHL.

And then there's Ovie who could outproduce them all in my league set up if he can get firing again.

I'm half tempted to trade the pick for a later in the round pick and start off with a Goalie, my head hurts!

Thanks gents.
    10 Team H2H - 7 Keepers (3 Yr Contracts) - Daily Lineup
    G/A/+-/SOG/PIM/FOW/PPP/HITS/BS/W/GAA/SV%

4-C: Backstrom, Weiss, Hanzal, Mackinnon
    4-LW: Benn, Neal, Huberdeau, Heatley
    4-RW: Callahan, Malkin, St Louis, Iginla
    6-D: Chara, Yandle, Faulk, Giordano, Gonchar, Gudas
    3-G: Price, Thomas, Holtby
    7-Bn: Bishop, Fisher, N.Foligno, Roussel, Bennett, Hansen, Hornqvist, Petry
    2-IR:Cammalleri

Dobber Sports Pro

There's no shame in having doubts Crosby can stay healthy, all of his owners have the same worries.

Crosby clearly has the most upside as he can dominate the league like no other but he also has the most risk because of his injury troubles.

In your format, I think it's basically a wash between Stamkos and Ovie as Stammer has the edge on FOW while Ovie will get you some hits.

Personally, I'd go Crosby, Stamkos and then Ovie. But I don't see anything wrong going with Stamkos or Ovechkin with your pick.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

At this point I really can't picture myself passing on him. That's why I came here hoping someone would convince me otherwise haha.

Dobber Sports Stud

If Crosby is there at number two, I would definitely take him.

My Top 5:
    1. Crosby
    2. Malkin
    3. Stamkos
    4. Oveckin
    5. Giroux

Dobber Sports Genius

Crosby will be fine, his head didn't explode though the CBA talks after all . But seriously, he is insanely talented, he needs to be a top 2 pick.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Genius

I would take Stamkos if I had the Number 1 pick. If you can get him at Number 2 then I would that.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Pro

With only 48 games season I would take Crosby for sure. He had A LOT if time to rest and he will be amazing.

You have to take Sid the Kid.

If he is gone 1st than take Malkin.
    6 teams dynasty pool,points only,no pos. for F, Keep All, 12F, 6D, 2G count.....backup=6F, 4D, 2G, 4 roster moves( 2 at 30th game and 2 at NHL deadline)
    F- , P. Kane,Eichel, DeBrincat, Kopitar, Wheeler, Kuznetsov, Point, Huberdeau, Verhaghe, Bergeron,Keller, Batherson, Schmaltz, W.Nylander, Buchnevich,Rantanen
    D- Makar, Gostisbehere, Carlson, Burns, Barrie, M. Rielly, Hronek, DeAngelo, KA Miller
    G- Vasilevskyi, Sorokin, Campbell, Markstrom
    Farm: Lundell, Guenther, Holtz, Glass, E. Svechnikov, Denisenko, Newhook, Heponiemi, Lauko,Neighbours, Bokk N. Foote, Borgstrom, Dahlen, Bokk, S. Poulin, Zelleweger, Liljegren, Heinola, Perunovich, S. Knight.

Dobber Sports Icon

Everyone has their own Top 3-5 players now. There really is no clear cut way of looking at it. It is no longer the Crosby vs Ovechkin debate. Or the Big 3. Personally, I believe that Crosby and Ovie are still the best players in the world, but they both come with caveats right now whereas Malkin/Stamkos are coming off amazing seasons and have less at the moment.

So here are my rankings for you:
    1 - Malkin - dominated last year and destroyed the KHL during the lockout
    2 - Stamkos - 60 goal scorer, dominant player
    3 - Crosby - Best player in the world but one concussion away from ending his career
    4 - Ovie - Right up there with Crosby but has seemed disinterested, new coach could put him right back up there this year
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

The Wolverine

Another thing to consider is that Crosby is one of the best faceoff men in the game. Over a full season, Crosby has nearly double the number of faceoffs won. Put into perspective even more recently, Stamkos had around 550 all last season. Crosby had around 220 in 22 games, and had 100 more than Stamkos in just half a season in 10/11. In a roto league, that's huge.
    Last edited by horrorfan; January 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Another thing to consider is that Crosby is one of the best faceoff men in the game. Over a full season, Crosby has nearly double the number of faceoffs won. Put into perspective even more recently, Stamkos had around 550 all last season. Crosby had around 220 in 22 games, and had 100 more than Stamkos in just half a season in 10/11. In a roto league, that's huge.
    The face offs are nice but it's a H2H multicat roto league. Meaning if I win 8 categories and opponent wins 4, my record is 8-4 that week.

The guy with #1 pick is willing to swap with me but he wants my 3rd for his 4th. Not sure it's worth it.

Basically it'd pick pick 2&21 for pick 1&39. I'm contemplating that. You guys think it's worth it for Geno?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by BamNeely View Post
    I see a lot of Crosby love still, but i'm not sold. The fear of the concussion has me skurred.

I have 2nd pick in a new keeper league. Details are in sig. I'm almost postiive Geno is going #1.

Would it be dumb to take Stamkos over Crosby?
    It's not dumb at all man... it's actually ****ing brilliant.

With SOG and Hits included, Stamkos should really be going at #1 in your league, irrespective of Crosby's potential injury concern (which is a BIG deal in a keeper).

If you KNOW the guy at #1 is taking Malkin, then take a deep breath, thank your lucky stars that he's an idiot, and take Stamkos.
    Last edited by blayze; January 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    It's not dumb at all man... it's actually ****ing brilliant.

With SOG and Hits included, Stamkos should really be going at #1 in your league, irrespective of Crosby's potential injury concern (which is a BIG deal in a keeper).

If you KNOW the guy at #1 is taking Malkin, then take a deep breath, thank your lucky stars that he's an idiot, and take Stamkos.
    I think this is the way I'm leaning. It's 3 year contracts so I should get the best of Stamkos while he still has Marty by his side and not have the gastrointestinal problems nervously watching Crosby. This could bite me in the arse very easily but oh well.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think this is the way I'm leaning. It's 3 year contracts so I should get the best of Stamkos while he still has Marty by his side and not have the gastrointestinal problems nervously watching Crosby. This could bite me in the arse very easily but oh well.
    Good... that's the right move to make.

It makes a huge difference being able to sleep easy at night knowing that your star player is healthy as an ox, with no concussion or knee problems.

I promise this will NOT bite you in the arse.
    -The absolute WORST case scenario is you come out *very slightly* behind if Malkin or Crosby shoot the lights out AND manage to stay 100% healthy over the next 3 years (and even then I'm not sure you come out behind given your scoring format).
    -The more REALISTIC case is Malkin reaggravates his knee or Crosby misses more time due to a headshot at some point over the next 3 years, in which case you come out WAY ahead.

Not a bad risk/reward proposition if you ask me.

The Wolverine

The face offs are nice but it's a H2H multicat roto league. Meaning if I win 8 categories and opponent wins 4, my record is 8-4 that week.

The guy with #1 pick is willing to swap with me but he wants my 3rd for his 4th. Not sure it's worth it.

Basically it'd pick pick 2&21 for pick 1&39. I'm contemplating that. You guys think it's worth it for Geno?
    I swear I just saw roto before.

Yeah it's not as crucial in a H2H league, but I would make a suggestion for your signature. H2H Roto is confusing because many people recognise the two main leagues, H2H and Roto separately, not as much together. So, in your case a more accurate description would be 'H2H Category Win' (that's how it's defined in Yahoo btw). But it's up to you.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I swear I just saw roto before.

Yeah it's not as crucial in a H2H league, but I would make a suggestion for your signature. H2H Roto is confusing because many people recognise the two main leagues, H2H and Roto separately, not as much together. So, in your case a more accurate description would be 'H2H Category Win' (that's how it's defined in Yahoo btw). But it's up to you.
    Fixed. I can see how that was confusing. Thanks!