Thread: Which Rookie do I keep, who do I trade?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Which Rookie do I keep, who do I trade?

I am really struggling with this. I can only protect two rookies out of the following:

Bernier, Schwartz, Markstrom, Brendan Smith and Lindback

I'm need to protect Lindback I think as he is currently pencilled in as a starter and Rask is the only other legitimate starter I have. We start 2 Goalies, so I don't see that I have much choice.

I'm eliminating both Bernier and Schwartz, I just don't see them helping me at all particularly in a shortened season and bottom line, I have to rate both Markstrom and Smith as much better options for me.

So, Smith or Markstrom?

Right now, I'm leaning toward Smith. A lot of folks really love Smith and I tend to agree. He should be fantasy relevant right out of the gate this year. Markstrom, well, it's hard to turn your back on a potential franchise goalie, but, when will that happen? Right now there are a lot of obstacles in Markstrom's way.

So, maybe I've answered my own question, maybe not. What do you guys think, who stays, who goes?
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Initiate

I'd protect Lindback and Bernier. I think Bernier will get traded and see his value spike. Rask/Lindback is a sketchy tandem to enter the season with in my opinion.

2010, 2014, & 2024 WJC Pool Champion, 2020 Runner-Up

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    So, Smith or Markstrom?
    This is extremely difficult decision in my opinion. Smith is surer bet than Markstrom but has less potential (fantasy) value than Markstrom.

If Markstrom kicks his career into really flying you will regret having to let him go. But for general rule, you shouldn't think more than 3 max 4 years ahead.

I would really evaluate your teams strengths and make a yearly projection for both players what do YOU believe they achieve.

Dont compare them to eachother but compare them to your team and potential team needs in the future. Try to see to next season start (thats not that far away) and think wich one your team needs more in that moment ?

I know i didnt give you straight answer, but this is difficult one.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I hear both you guys. The thing about Bernier is his stock has fallen so far that I am quite certain I can re draft him in the late rounds in this league. He might even go undrafted. So I need a contributer now. I agree, if Bernier gets traded things change, but that's not going to happen tomorrow in all likelyhood. Anyway, this is indeed a tough one, anyone else got an opinion?
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf