Thread: Having trouble with my rookie picks

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Having trouble with my rookie picks

Help anybody?

I am in a keeper league and need rookie pick advice. Roto - G, A, +/- and PIMs. D men heavy leauge. 11 teams, 15 forwards, TEN d-men.

I have the 3rd and the 8th pick. Can you order these guys. With these pick mostly looking for goals and assists. Most rookies are gone like Mckinnon and Jones. This is what is left. I know a few are very young but they will be picked this year.

Conner McDavid
    J. Huberdeau
    Justin Schultz
    Aleksander Barkov
    Jonathan Drouin
    Valeri Nichushkin
    Sam Reinhart -Any good? I've heard nothing.
    Luc Deschesne

Thanks,

Michael

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mikejlees View Post
    Help anybody?

I am in a keeper league and need rookie pick advice. Roto - G, A, +/- and PIMs. D men heavy leauge. 11 teams, 15 forwards, TEN d-men.

I have the 3rd and the 8th pick. Can you order these guys. With these pick mostly looking for goals and assists. Most rookies are gone like Mckinnon and Jones. This is what is left. I know a few are very young but they will be picked this year.

Conner McDavid
    J. Huberdeau
    Justin Schultz
    Aleksander Barkov
    Jonathan Drouin
    Valeri Nichushkin
    Luc Deschesne

Thanks,

Michael
    As a new poster i'll give you a little advise:

Post your team in the signature and the lg specifications in short forms (like you did
    above), it easier for people to see what you have and need now or in the future...

With your 3rd pick id target Huberdau as a player able if needed to jump in now or soon and help...

Schultz I'd the only other that will help you soon and if you have good enough D you dont have to take a 20-50 point player here...

Conner McDavid is a safe 8th pick, still early in his development so he could flop, your not goning to use him for about 3 years... but his name carrys value that should rise throught his whole Jr career then you can reasses if you like him and where his development is when he is 19-20....

After that I like Barkov as he seems solid and projectable to be a good NHLer, Drouin (be warned he is a late developing talent and usually they do not pan out where you want them because of hype, but maybe you get him and trade him on hype) and Nichushkin (much like McDavid)...

I'm not fully schooled on all of these guys so I can't elaborate much on them individually (except Hubs and Schultz), hopefully some else can add to this and might be familier with Sam Reinhart and Deschesne as I don't know them outside thier names and draft slots....
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Wizard

Duschene I don't know much about, and Nichuskin I don't know if he's worth the risk since he's signed in Russia for another 3 years I think. The rest of the players are all very good.

Huberdeau would probably be my first choice at 3rd overall, although if you need help on defense and since you play 10 d-men, Schultz could be a very good choice as well. It's definitely between those two at 3rd, whichever your team could use more as both should be in the NHL this season.

At 8th it's tougher. McDavid obviously has the name going for him, and unless the bottom totally falls out he should be a very good player in 3 years. Or at least a good rookie in 3 years, it will be probably be 5 years or so before he puts up really good numbers and that far out it's just hard to bank on a player scoring well.

Reinhart is kinda the same situation.....he's a top challenger for 1st overall in 2014 but once again you're looking at 4-5 years before you can really hope for a return on that pick.

I'd be taking Barkov or Drouin at 8th overall. Personally I prefer Barkov, he's gonna be a damn good player in the NHL.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Stud

Well this is a very interesting draft you guys have. It's really tough to comment without knowing the structure of your farm system or your current team. If you take timeline completely out of the question and can sit on a big farm system for a long time then I'm taking McDavid at 3rd. At this point he's looking like a surefire number one overall with elite potential.

If, however, you're going to requre some NHL ready player in the next few years (lets say you active roster includes guys like Iginla, Datsyuk, etc) then I'm going for guys who'll be playing ASAP and that's Hubs and Schultz.

As for the comment from someone regarding Drouin being a late bloomer, that's not accurate. He was the 2nd overall pick in the 2011 QMJHL draft, right behind Mackinnon. His first year in Halifax he had an injury shortened regular season and still put up very solid numbers but absolutley exploded in the playoffs to become a major factor in the Mooseheads incredible playoff run (I was there for almost every game). This year he's been nothing short of spectacular and could emerge as the most offensively gifted player of the entire 2013 draft class. I'd have a very tough time deciding between him and Barkov but the X factor here is a player that really impressed me at the WJC.....Nichushkin! This kid is a manchild and looks like he could transition seamlessly into the NHL. That being said, I almost always steer clear of the Russian factor so that would probably eliminate him from the discussion for me.

As for Reinhart and Deschesne, I don't know enough to comment

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mikejlees View Post
    Help anybody?

Conner McDavid
    J. Huberdeau
    Justin Schultz
    Aleksander Barkov
    Jonathan Drouin
    Valeri Nichushkin
    Luc Deschesne

Thanks,

Michael
    Target Huberdeau and then Schultz. These two will play in the NHL this year so they are far more valuable than the others.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    As for the comment from someone regarding Drouin being a late bloomer, that's not accurate. He was the 2nd overall pick in the 2011 QMJHL draft, right behind Mackinnon. His first year in Halifax he had an injury shortened regular season and still put up very solid numbers but absolutley exploded in the playoffs to become a major factor.
    Just an aside - It wasn't an injury shortened season for Drouin last year. He only joined the Mooseheads on December 11, he had decided to continue playing in Midget earlier in the year until he was sure he was ready for the Q. He played 33 of the 37 games remaining after that.
    Setting up the play.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by thatbirdguy View Post
    Just an aside - It wasn't an injury shortened season for Drouin last year. He only joined the Mooseheads on December 11, he had decided to continue playing in Midget earlier in the year until he was sure he was ready for the Q. He played 33 of the 37 games remaining after that.
    Thanks for that...thought he was recouping from an injury but I'm sure you're right

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I think if McDavid is there I'll take him. I just won my pool last year and need to replenish the pipe. If I can get back to competing this year or next I can trade him to someone else for a boatload of 4th year guys. My league drafts guys like McKinnon and Crosby 3 years before their draft year so I'm be surprised if he's there by the 3rd pick. If he's there I'll take him.

With 8th I'll look at Droin or Nichushkin. By the sounds of it the others will be gone inbetween.

We have 5 spots for rookies. We need to bring them up the year after they play 25 NHL games 10 for goalies, and then have them at 3 bucks for 3 years with a 4th year at 13 bucks. Salary cap is 165 and all players have a 3 year contract.

Roto - G, A, +/- and PIMs. D men heavy leauge. 11 teams, 15 forwards, TEN d-men. 3 Goalies, GAA, SPct., Wins. 2 points for skating stats and 1 for goalie stats.

I traded my future away for a bunch of 4th year guys as I was in sencond spot at trade deadline. Here is what's left;

Player Salary Contract
    Couture, Logan C SJ 3 -3
    Giroux, Claude RW PHI 13- Franchise
    Jokinen, Olli C WPG 2 -2
    Carcillo, Daniel LW CHI 4 -2
    Ott, Steve C BUF 8 2 -1
    Ribeiro, Mike C WAS 5 - 3
    Smith, Zack C OTT 3 - 2

Carkner, Matt D NYI 3 - 2
    Del Zotto, Michael D NYR 1 - 2
    Rundblad, David D PHO 3 - 1
    Ekman-Larsson, Oliver D PHO 2 -2
    Orlov, Dmitry D WAS 3 - 2

Pavelec, Ondrej G WPG 3 -2
    Schneider, Cory G VAN 3 -2
    total Salary 56

Tarasenko, Vladimir F STL ML
    Lehner, Robin G OTT ML

My first post, so thanks a lot for replying.
    Michael