Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: McKenzie tweeting Burke fired as Toronto GM

Dobber Sports Veteran

Love or hate Burke one of the things he didn't get enough recognition for is dealing with a tragic personal loss (death of son) while on the job. In any other walk of life if that were to happen to someone everyone would cut them some slack.

Dobber Sports Stud

I've now heard he wouldn't pay Kadri and Gardiner for Luongo. If that is what the Canucks were asking, I have to respect Burke for saying no despite it costing him his job. Time will tell if there is any truth to the trade demands.

Too bad, I don't love Burke, but I respect him and this is a dumb move by the TML's.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    This makes me angry.
    If you want to fire someone for lack of performance, ok. But to fire someone because you don't like his "style."
    Well you'll be disappointed to know that unfortunately, that's how the real world works. Nepotism > Performance.

Dobber Sports Stud

Very surprising news to wake up to.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Essej View Post
    Very surprising news to wake up to.
    You just woke up??? Must be nice.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    You just woke up??? Must be nice.
    Yea, woke up around 12, or 3 eastern.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Papps View Post
    Well done sir!

I've heard many ramblings.. from him not wanting to take on Luongo's contract due to his stance on contract issues to it being CBA related.. I actually think Burke did a great job.. Kessel, Versteeg, Lupul, JVR, Kessel, Dion, Gardiner, and all the youngsters in the Marlies.. He's drafted well and he's a smart man.. I thought the leafs were getting close with Burke.. now he's gone.. I liked his straight forward attitude..

Keep in mind he also shipped out some crap.. Stajan, Hagman, Toskala, Jason Blake.. And was just on the tail of aquiring Luongo.. Maybe a good move or maybe not but you cant say he's done a poor job with what he had to offer..
    agree. Kessel was a top10 player last season. Leafs weren't expecting a low finish when the deal occured. I.e. Seguin wasn't a garanteed pick @ time of trade. Even if he was, doesn't mean he would have done well here. Proven vs unproven. Seguin is sheltered in Boston. Toronto and Prospects don't do well together. Not sure why people fixate on that trade, get over it. Not every trade will work out.

The Phaneuf deal was robbery. Hagman/Stajan/White... LOL. Phaneuf haters will hate. I liked him in Calgary and he still has elite potential.

People just like to criticize. I thought he did a good job... although he definately was a bit of a jack ass at times.

Nonis seems like a good replacement... he was running a lot of the trades behind the scenes anyway.
    Keep4+rookie under 150gp (14 teams): G,A,+/-,PIM,SHP,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW, W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO [Keepers: E Staal, Parise, Backes, Malkin, (R) Desharnais]

- Some people are like slinkies, they don't seem to have a purpose but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs... -

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    That's BS, these are still poor hockey/business decisions.
    How so? Low risk gamble... you can improve your team easily if it pans out... if it doesn't you just lose short term cash (ample that with the leafs).

So instead what? Don't sign ANYONE? When Malkin goes off the table in your fantasy drafts, do you shut down your team for the season or try to go for alternatives?

It's easy to criticize. I'm not defending Burke but I don't think it was a bad call. Connolly has had excellent spurts in his career if you watch him. I've had him on my fantasy squad when he was in buffalo running 25 game pt streaks... so he didn't pan out here. So what...? What would you have done?

I've played on sports teams with players who suck in a team composition... but are excellent on antoher team. You can't always predict those things before hand.
    Keep4+rookie under 150gp (14 teams): G,A,+/-,PIM,SHP,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW, W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO [Keepers: E Staal, Parise, Backes, Malkin, (R) Desharnais]

- Some people are like slinkies, they don't seem to have a purpose but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs... -

Dobber Sports Pro

As far as Kessel wanting a big pay cheque, all players and their agents want a big pay cheque. It is few and far between that a player signs for less than they worth (Crosby/Malkin, etc.), some players sign for fair market value, while it seems the majority sign for more than they are worth. Pointing the finger at Kessel for wanting a big pay cheque isn't fair, that situation happens in professional sports all the time.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

i heard a rumor on a winnipeg radio station today. They said a name they heard it from, couldn't say who it was, didn't recognize the name, and don't remeber what it was.

They said this guy had heard the burke was sleeping with someone else in MLSE(I believe they said it was MLSE).

I only caught it quickly, and have no idea if there's any truth to it. Just thought I'd pass on what I heard.
    16 team H2H
    Start 3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4 D, 2 G
    G A +/- PIM PPP SHP GWG SOG FW
    W GAA SV SV% SO
    Keep - 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 2D, 1G

C - Crosby, Pettersson, Pageau
    LW - Teravainen, Kaprizov, Keller, gusev, Lafreniere
    RW- Stone, Kucherov(IR), Wheeler, foligno
    D - Letang, Makar, Hronek, Dumba
    G - Hellebuyck, Samsonov, Grubauer, Bernier, Rinne

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    As far as Kessel wanting a big pay cheque, all players and their agents want a big pay cheque. It is few and far between that a player signs for less than they worth (Crosby/Malkin, etc.), some players sign for fair market value, while it seems the majority sign for more than they are worth. Pointing the finger at Kessel for wanting a big pay cheque isn't fair, that situation happens in professional sports all the time.
    i dont expect him to sign for less but to demand ufa money off of one good season (not great not spectacular but good) is ridiculous

sure they all try to get as much as they can but do something first for crying out loud before acting like you are owed a huge payday

and i dont single out kessel we are discussing kessel right now when others have outrageous demands i have no problem taking them to task for it as well

and yes i understand greed is part of it however me personally i dont like the idea of the guy you build your franchise around being a mercenary to that degree

like i said it just sends a bad message all around imo

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by jarja View Post
    i heard a rumor on a winnipeg radio station today. They said a name they heard it from, couldn't say who it was, didn't recognize the name, and don't remeber what it was.

They said this guy had heard the burke was sleeping with someone else in MLSE(I believe they said it was MLSE).

I only caught it quickly, and have no idea if there's any truth to it. Just thought I'd pass on what I heard.
    I heard an ex-babysitter for Doug Gilmour, Chris Pronger and Brian Burke were all involved.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    With your 'simple' logic I'd hate to handover a major business to your control with many millions in operating costs...

But forget about the money spent. I said business/HOCKEY decisions and those signings did little if not nothing to make the Leafs better and the effects are still being felt by the organization.

If a GM's decision makes neither financial sense or hockey sense in the teams on ice performance then what positive can you take from that decision?
    It's really funny you say that because I actually am involved in 100million dollar project decisions on a daily basis, are you? I suspect not or you'd understand that when you're rolling in that world you don't sweat a few million bucks or everyone would be a nervous wreck. Hell, I've seen tens of millions dumped into projects only to have the plug pulled on them before completion due to changing economic climates. The point is we make the decisions we make in the moment with the information we have available to us and don't look back.

Anyway, I digress. You're simply cherry picking a few signings that appear bad in hindsight and using that as evidence of Burke's poor skills as a GM. Please name me a GM in the league who doesn't have a few signings in the past few years he doesn't regret?

Burke was given the money to spend, he spent it on available players and some of them didn't work out. Once again I ask; who cares? If you think that's the measure of Burkes success or failure then you have COMPLETELY missed the point.

Dobber Sports Ninja

2008-2009 - 24th overall
    2009-2010 - 29th overall
    2010-2011 - 22nd overall
    2011-2012 - 26th overall

Result? Fired.

You guys are seriously overanalysing things.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    It's really funny you say that because I actually am involved in 100million dollar project decisions on a daily basis, are you? I suspect not or you'd understand that when you're rolling in that world you don't sweat a few million bucks or everyone would be a nervous wreck. Hell, I've seen tens of millions dumped into projects only to have the plug pulled on them before completion due to changing economic climates. The point is we make the decisions we make in the moment with the information we have available to us and don't look back.

Anyway, I digress. You're simply cherry picking a few signings that appear bad in hindsight and using that as evidence of Burke's poor skills as a GM. Please name me a GM in the league who doesn't have a few signings in the past few years he doesn't regret?

Burke was given the money to spend, he spent it on available players and some of them didn't work out. Once again I ask; who cares? If you think that's the measure of Burkes success or failure then you have COMPLETELY missed the point.
    Its obvious with money its easy-come-easy-go with you. Not everybody has that same attitude.... or don't you understand that viewpoint?

My point originally about cherry picking the bad signings was because the Burke faithful were trying to extoll all the good things Burke did and wanted to ignore his failings, just like you are.
    FACT remains, Burke was GM since 2008 and the Leafs have not had ONE playoff game to show for it. Is that not the goal of every GM? To see their team improve, make the playoffs and win a Stanley Cup? Burke didn't accomplish that and now you want to white wash the negatives of his track record?
    Of course his failings need to come to light.

What kind of a world of non-accountability do you live in? You must work for a government agency or something!