Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: McKenzie tweeting Burke fired as Toronto GM

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    I have a feeling Nonis was a big part of everything people are giving Burke credit for.

This is his chance to shine, very humble guy.

Exactly my feelings too. Nonis did a lot of the heavy work in Leaf nation.

Banned

i am quite certain this has nothing to do with past hockey decisions that burke has made with the leafs. he would have been fired months ago, before the draft, if that was the case. something happened recently between him and the owners and knowing burke, he wouldn't back down from his views so they fired him. but i can't see this being because he signed a few bad contracts or that he lost seguin... no way.

Dobber Sports Ninja

This has gotta do with Luongo. He probably took a hard stance and they called his bluff.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    Yes but if the Bruins had ended up with Gudbrandson, Niederreiter, Johansen or Connolly, who were the next 4 picks taken would everybody still think it was such a bad trade? If the leafs had finished with 6 more points that season it would be a very different story, it's on Burke for sure but the guy he landed was still a top 5 scorer last year, one dimensional yes but an elite scorer, at least he was last year.
    if if if

yes kessel was a top 5 scorer last year but he was acquired 3 years ago

kessel was acquired to make an impact immediately especially given what they gave up to get him and subsequently what he was paid

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Star

I didn't see that coming at all.
    Nonis will do a good job though.
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    That's BS, these are still poor hockey/business decisions.
    BS eh? So that's where we're going with this. OK, I'll make this simple for you. Smart business decisions are not measured in the single digit 'millions' when talking about an entity such as the Leafs and MSLE. It's called gambling with chump change. Burke wasn't asked to worry about such trivialities as overpaying on a short term contract for a guy like Connolly, he was simply gambling with house money. The fact that it failed can be seen as a long shot bet that didn't pan out with no repurcussions of any sort. It would be akin to me buying a $20 lottery ticket and losing....did I make a bad financial decion? Not really, I can burn twenties all day long

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    BS eh? So that's where we're going with this. OK, I'll make this simple for you. Smart business decisions are not measured in the single digit 'millions' when talking about an entity such as the Leafs and MSLE. It's called gambling with chump change. Burke wasn't asked to worry about such trivialities as overpaying on a short term contract for a guy like Connolly, he was simply gambling with house money. The fact that it failed can be seen as a long shot bet that didn't pan out with no repurcussions of any sort. It would be akin to me buying a $20 lottery ticket and losing....did I make a bad financial decion? Not really, I can burn twenties all day long
    With your 'simple' logic I'd hate to handover a major business to your control with many millions in operating costs...

But forget about the money spent. I said business/HOCKEY decisions and those signings did little if not nothing to make the Leafs better and the effects are still being felt by the organization.

If a GM's decision makes neither financial sense or hockey sense in the teams on ice performance then what positive can you take from that decision?

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    if if if

yes kessel was a top 5 scorer last year but he was acquired 3 years ago

kessel was acquired to make an impact immediately especially given what they gave up to get him and subsequently what he was paid
    I know it's if if if that's why input them in there, my point was that IF the trade ended up being Kessel for Connolly, Hamilton and Knight would it be so bad? Would people still be talking about it? Would a be a reason to call
    Burkes tenure a failure as some do? It's a fine line.

Kessel has done well while with the leafs considering his line mates, you can't fault him in my opinion. As far as immediate impact is concerned, he led the team in scoring in each of the last three seasons while potting 30+ in each season . Burke overestimated his team which proved to be costly but he didn't trade Seguin+ for Kessel which is how it's portrayed. Not saying it didn't work out poorly in hindsight but its not like Kessel is a plug.
    Last edited by wendelclark17; January 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The Kessel deal was UNFORGIVABLE! A lousy team, with the green light to rebuild should NOT trade TWO first rounders AND a second for Phil Kessel. Burke should have been fired years ago.

Dobber Sports Stud

WTF, never saw this coming. Sportsnet reporting (via Mark Spector) that it was Burkes stubborrness to pay the price to make the Luongo deal. Apperently there was a split among Burkes" lieutenants" and him. I cant wait for a statement from him ( a candid one).

This is better then working.

Dobber Sports Ninja

And again, Burke's four years was actually WORSE than Ferguson's four years as GM before him (I am not including Fletcher's year in between). It seems incredible to believe but in a results based business and role his time to be fired had come.

Now that doesn't explain how a guy like Tambellini still has a job, but that's not for this thread.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Non-playoff teams should never gamble away their 1st round pick. Especially not two of them.
    And if someone gambles a 1st round pick he is responsible for the outcome. Same goes with signing UFAs. Sometimes it doesn't work out but the person making the decision should be held responsible.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Listening to the press conference , they didnt give what the disagreed on which cost burke his job. I personally think Burke said no to Luongo at this time and the board said goodbye

Administrator

The answer will be known in the next few days. They don't even have to leak the answer. Actions will speak for themselves.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    I know it's if if if that's why input them in there, my point was that IF the trade ended up being Kessel for Connolly, Hamilton and Knight would it be so bad? Would people still be talking about it? Would a be a reason to call
    Burkes tenure a failure as some do? It's a fine line.
    to me the kessel deal is about more than just the pieces of the trade

kessel was a player who demanded to get paid like he had multiple 30 goal seasons under his belt rather than just one

now i am sure everyone has their own ideas about these things but to me building your team around a guy that greedy that doesnt think he has to pay his dues like everyone else can be toxic

it affects the expectation of other players looking to sign with the club and it affects what types of players might be willing to sign with the club

also to me the acquistion of kessel looked like an attempt to short cut the hard work involved in rebuilding a franchise

it was the ultimate hubris to take a team in the condition that team was in and tie up that many high end future picks in a player who likely isnt franchise player level talent

to me the deal is about much more than just the players involved and their stats

Kessel has done well while with the leafs considering his line mates, you can't fault him in my opinion. As far as immediate impact is concerned, he led the team in scoring in each of the last three seasons while potting 30+ in each season . Burke overestimated his team which proved to be costly but he didn't trade Seguin+ for Kessel which is how it's portrayed. Not saying it didn't work out poorly in hindsight but its not like Kessel is a plug.
    i can fault kessel for having such a high opinion of himself that he demanded a ridiculous contract that led to him being traded in the first place

no he is not a plug but he is not a superstar either

however he wanted to be treated like a superstar without even earning that right and i have serious problems with that

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max