Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: McKenzie tweeting Burke fired as Toronto GM

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Keep in mind the transaction for the sale of the Leafs from the OTPP to Rogers/Bell/Tanenbaum did not get finalized until August 2012 (Post draft). Not surprised that the new ownership group has a different direction it wants to take, it seems that MLSE was just waiting for the CBA negotiations to be finalized before kicking Burke to the curb. Burke is a hardline negotiator after all. If you look at the Blue Jays, they went all out this summer and are going for it (owned by Rogers), it would not surprise me to see the Leafs do the same thing, which Burke was likely adamantly opposing. My 2 cents.

Dobber Sports Pro

Ridiculous timing. Love or hate Burke, I can not think of a better candidate to be in charge of the mess at MLSE right now.

Considering no one has a clue how this CBA is going to shake out, why would they do this? Does this make Carlysle a lame duck?

I guess MLSE was tired of not being on page 1 of the sports section. SIGH.

Administrator

I would think there is more to this than just how he did as GM. It happened today, not back in August. My guess is they had a meeting and disagreed on some important things. Could be Luongo-related.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

If it is a Lunogo related that would be a very bad sign. The fact that ownership would fire him over a hockey related decision means Leaf fans can look for 40 more year of ownership messing up the team.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Timming is Horrible but as a DIE HARD LEAF fan I'm very excited over the news. He has done a horrible job as GM almost laughable if looked at by any intelligent person without being emotional. I also think LOU has something to do with it...
    Kessel, Lupul, JVR, Phaneuf, Gardiner are worse than Antropov, Stajan, Poni, Mayers, Hagman, Schenn? Mmmkay

No Burke fan, and no dog in this fight but I tend to agree with those in thinking he has improved this team over the middling crap he inherited.

A goalie away from playoff contention, perhaps? Which would lead me to believe this could very well have been Luongo-related.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Kessel, Lupul, JVR, Phaneuf, Gardiner are worse than Antropov, Stajan, Poni, Mayers, Hagman, Schenn? Mmmkay
    What about the Burkie signings of Mike Komisarek, Colby Armstrong(buyout) and Tim Connolly??

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    If Burke refused to give in on trading for Luongo because of his contract (as he has expressed negativity about) and stood his ground resulting in being fired, then he gets a lot of respect from me. Still think he's a horrid GM but sticking to your pinciples on something is commendable (if true)
    I guess we'll find out soon when Luongo becomes a Leaf. Bad move on both parts.

Dobber Sports Master

does he take his puppet nonis with him ?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Wow! This came out of nowhere.

I wonder if he refused to trade for Luongo while ownership is insisting on getting him? I'm sure we'll find soon enough.
    If I'm a guessing guy, I'd agree with you there.

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    What about the Burkie signings...Tim Connolly??
    ...and thanks for that, btw.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Not a fan of this firing at all.

In hindsight, the Kessel trade was about the only poor trade he made and yet no one could've predicted that. He still got a tremendously rare sniper so they did okay.

He's acquired a ton via trade and gave up very little. On top of that, Burke is great for the Toronto media and was very professional.

The timing seems very weird.

One thing I especially don't like is that with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry potentially slated to become free agents, Burke could've been the man to bring these two to leaf land....I would've at least liked to see him try.

I hope Dave Nonis takes over.

Dobber Sports Padawan

This firing is a terrible move. The guy inherits a team that's a complete dumpster fire, does a good job in steering the ship around by acquiring nice young pieces, lands one of the best young goal scoring wingers in the league, lands at worst a #2 d man in phaneuf and still gets fired after what, 4years!?! The only reason I'd be willing to accept for this move is if he punched Ed Rogers baby in the face.

The Leafs are a Mickey Mouse operation. Thankfully the Jays and Raptors have a bit more patience with their GM's. They will be rewarded.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Burke

Unless something comes out big time, the Leafs just made a huge mistake.
    Only way to cover themselves is by hiring a GM at least as competent.
    ie Holland, Poile etc.

Knowing the Leafs though, I am afraid this might signal the return of Ferguson Junior.

Makes it almost feel like steping in front of a train to us Leaf fans.
    Championships

Ottawa Sun regular season champion.
    Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    In hindsight, the Kessel trade was about the only poor trade he made and yet no one could've predicted that.
    i dont know about this i think it was pretty easy to predict the leafs would suck

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max