Thread: Fantasy Hockey Geek Ranking Question

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Fantasy Hockey Geek Ranking Question

Hi, I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong. My league is:

Yahoo H2H Roto.

2C, 2R, 2L, 4D, 2G, 2 Util, 4 bench

G, A, +/-, PPP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, L, GAA, Save %, SO

Based on Dobber's latest projections:

Is it possible that Byfuglien would be ranked 6th!? After Karlsson and before Letang?

Phaneuf ranked 12th!? Ahead of Neal & Tavares?

TIA

Dobber Sports Demi-God

FHG's ranking are solid.

1. The HITS category may propel Buff slightly ahead of Karlsson. Buff had 112 hits last year vs. Karlsson's 60. That's almost double. There's not too many categories where Karlsson is going to double Buff... maybe assists. Everything else can be fairly equal. Think of it that way. Buff also will have an edge in SOG, if healthy.

2. Phaneuf (& defensemen in general) will be ranked higher based on the roster allocation. There are 6F spots, so a 12-team pool has 72F in play. But how much more valuable is Tavares or Neal than the 73rd best forward? There are 4D spots, so a 12-team pool has 48D in play. It's possible that Phaneuf is just maybe 12.8pts higher than the #49D and maybe Tavares or Neal are 12.5pts higher than the #73F. That's all.

What matters is how you use this information to do a draft.
    You want to take a guy as late as you can... so if you can Phaneuf in the 4th round, you do it.

I took Tavares 6th overall in two multi-cat pools this year. Is he the 6th most valuable fantasy-player, no... probably not, but he will be very solid & dependable and he won't be around in the 2nd round, while the D-men will still be there.

Anyways, you have to mix what you learn from FHG rankings with knowing how your leaguemates will draft. Just try to draft those high FHG guys before others do... but remember that pools are won on "value"... so the later you take them, the more "value" there is to your team overall.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks for the reply Pengwin. Can you please rephrase why defensemen in general are ranked higher? I have trouble understanding.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I have my own spreadsheet showing player value (broken down by category) in a league that includes Hits/Blocked Shots.

For defensemen:
    The elite defensemen have a value of 6.00+.
    Then there is a tier of about five D that have a value of 5.00+
    And then about 15 D-men are in the 4.00+ range.
    But the scores quickly (by #25!) slip below 4.00.

For forwards:
    Look, the forwards don't slip below a value of 4.00 until forward #91.

So... let's talk about player values above 4.00:
    90 forwards do it
    25 defensemen do it

Your league lists 8F (+Util?)... and forward #96 (12x8) will still get your over 4.00pts of fantasy value.
    Your league lists 4D (+Util?)... and defense #48 (12x4) will only get you about 3.30pts of fantasy value.

So... a solid forward of 5.00pt value is +1.00 above that "fringe" forward, taken at the end of your draft.
    And... a defenseman of 5.00pt value is +1.70 above that "fringe" defenseman, taken at the end of your draft.

Both the forward & defenseman get the same points... but it is this "relative difference" that gives the defenseman more value.

To explain it one more time, more simplistically, consider your 3rd round pick & 12th round pick.
    Which is more points:
    3rd round forward (70pts) + 12th round defense (25pts)
    or
    3rd round defense (50pts) + 12th round forward (55pts)

Clearer?
    Last edited by Pengwin7; January 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Much clearer. Thanks Pengwin.

Dobber Sports Stud

I've always used and supported the FHG (HPG) rankings, and for the reasons well explained by Penguin here. However I have a comment or two for Yanni and, more importantly, a question that arose for me after reading the article "Understanding Your League" written by Terry Campkin on Wednesday.

1. While the rankings are more clear and probably a better direct guide to draft strategy in a points-only scenario as in Penguin's example, things get more complicated in multi-cat. The rankings, whether from FHG or Penguin, provide a combined value from the various cats. As such, they do a good job of explaining each player's value in isolation relative to the population of all other players (at least skaters; the normalization with goalies is more confounding for me), it does not necessarily mean that the best TEAM would be assembled by maximizing overall values. Penguin has also done an excellent job explaining in many posts the potential benefits of drafting for points earlier and hits/blocks/etc. later.

2. Drafting strategy also depends greatly on the other GMs' tendencies. If YOU know that Byfuglien may actually be more valuable than Tavares but your opponents do not, there is no sense drafting Buff in accordance with his actual value, but rather as informed by his perceived value by the other GMs.

3. The values of players from many tools based on projections often do not factor in the differing levels of confidence in projections of the various categories. This is notoriously a problem for certain cats, e.g. plus/minus and short-handed goals. If plus/minus is weighted the same as assists in an overall value calculation, it will be less useful than one that weights the categories versus others. N.B. this problem is ameliorated if the projections themselves incorporate year-to-year variance.

4. The value calculations presented by the model can only be as good as the projections used to calculate them. As with all models, garbage in, garbage out.

In general, all of the above speak to the fact that valuations by FHG and other quantitative mechanisms are not intended to be, nor she they be used as, draft guides dictating draft order. They are tools that, along with many other factors, can help you analyse the player pool and devise a draft strategy.
    Last edited by Hey Robbie; January 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Yanni72 View Post
    Hi, I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong. My league is:

Yahoo H2H Roto.

2C, 2R, 2L, 4D, 2G, 2 Util, 4 bench

G, A, +/-, PPP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, L, GAA, Save %, SO

Based on Dobber's latest projections:

Is it possible that Byfuglien would be ranked 6th!? After Karlsson and before Letang?

Phaneuf ranked 12th!? Ahead of Neal & Tavares?

TIA
    Your set-up was right Yanni - I got the same results as you for skaters when I input your stuff in as a 12 team league - I used max games of 82 but there seems to be a glitch in the system where it also requires the same max games for bench positions so I am guessing that there might be some skew in results - I'm going to email the Geeks to let them know what I found.

Edit: Chatted with Paul and the issue of max games is a non-issue so yeah according to the FHG methodology, those rankings are accurate for your team.
    Last edited by Shoeless; January 14, 2013 at 11:09 AM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Now for the question about FHG rankings and Campkin's article:
    First a caveat that I fully expect FHG, Metaldude, Penguin, and a host of others with superior insight to mine to point out why the analysis I am about to give is specious, and I look forward to such criticism.

To look at the utility of FHG's rankings I ran a simulation comparing teams' production to their overall values, defined as the sum of the FHG values of all players on the roster. To simplify matters, I modeled based on a 10 team, points-only, roto league. Each team was assumed to have six forwards and four defensemen. I then used FHG to determine player values with the input being actual stats from last season.

I selected random teams from a pool of the rosterable forwards and defensemen (i.e. top 60 and top 40 respectively). Because the total available ranks in this pool is 5000, I defined as reasonably realistic teams as those with a sum of 495-505 total ranks, and eliminated all teams not meeting this criterion. I then made runs producing at least 5000 reasonable teams. For each team, I added the total number of points for the 10 players as a measure of actual performance.

I divided the reasonable teams into three classes: those with lower than expected average forward rank ("better" forwards), those with lower than expected average defenseman rank ("better defensemen"), and those more or less balanced. For each class I calculated the average number of points per team.

My preliminary results were that teams with more highly-ranked (i.e. with a lower than expected total number of ranks) forwards had a higher average production than balanced teams or teams with "better" defensemen.

I do not have my data in front of me right now, and know that many questions will require the particulars. Tonight I should be able to provide data and quantitative analyses, but I wanted to throw the methodology out there now in case I'm missing something obvious I can correct before going through the trouble.

If the preliminary results hold up, does this cast doubt on the common assertion, which I myself have frequently argued against on these boards, that it just doesn't make sense to rank above-average defensemen above average forwards because forwards score more points?
    Last edited by Hey Robbie; January 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)

Dobber Sports Star

First a caveat that I fully expect FHG, Metaldude, Penguin, and a host of others with superior insight to mine to point out why the analysis I am about to give is specious, and I look forward to such criticism
    I thought I heard my ears burning!

If the preliminary results hold up, does this cast doubt on the common assertion, which I myself have frequently argued against on these boards, that it just doesn't make sense to rank above-average defensemen above average forwards because forwards score more points?
    Nope, for a couple reasons.

The first is that you're making an assertion that it doesn't make sense to rank above-average D over average F. The value on FHG is actually "value over replacement", ie value as compared to the best option available on waivers. This "replacement player" varies greatly based on league size.

I'm not sure that basing things of "ranks" is fair -- by doing it that way, you ignore gaps in valuation ie you're assuming that the gap between player #1 and player #2 is the same as the gap between player #2 and player #3, aren't you? That, to me, is a huge misrepresentation of player value.

If you're looking at a population of 60F and 40D, you're looking at roughly the top-2 forwards on each NHL team and the top 1.33 D, right? Usually, D are pushed up in value by having more of them owned, because below the top 60ish you see a big drop-off in production.

I guess I'm having a hard time with your drawing a general conclusion like this based on one specific setup, when the correct answer is that the value of defense is dependent on the league size and scoring categories.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    The value on FHG is actually "value over replacement", ie value as compared to the best option available on waivers. This "replacement player" varies greatly based on league size.
    basically vbd right

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    I thought I heard my ears burning!
    Thanks for the insights!

Nope, for a couple reasons.

The first is that you're making an assertion that it doesn't make sense to rank above-average D over average F. The value on FHG is actually "value over replacement", ie value as compared to the best option available on waivers. This "replacement player" varies greatly based on league size.

This was poorly stated on my part, partially because I was trying to recreate to some extent the way this objection has been raised by DobberHockey posters in discussions prior to their learning more about such player evaluations. In particular, my use of "average" was far from clear. I know that the valuation represents value over replacement, but I think many people have wondered whether it is true that if defenseman A is 30 "points" better than replacement (specifically the strongest non-rosterable player) while forward B is 5 "points" better, if the defenseman's value to your team is really greater than the forward. Of course the replacement varies with league size and roster configuration, but those factors are already included in the value calculation

I'm not sure that basing things of "ranks" is fair -- by doing it that way, you ignore gaps in valuation ie you're assuming that the gap between player #1 and player #2 is the same as the gap between player #2 and player #3, aren't you? That, to me, is a huge misrepresentation of player value.
    Excellent point. I think this shouldn't be a big concern if the shape of the drop-off is similar between forwards and defensemen, because then the large gap would place the players in the correct order. For example, if there is a big gap between D #3 and D #2, that gap is needed to push D#2 up into a rank between, say, F #7 and F #8. Of course as you point out the assumption that the drop offs are similar is a bad one, in which case I'm not sure if the argument above holds.

Wait, now that I read your answer more carefully, I see that your actual point was simpler. I think in my mind I justified using ranks instead of actual values as representative of how one would use the valuations in a draft, i.e. simply draft a higher valued player over a lower rated one. But of course, as I explained to the OP in my previous post, that's not how these valuations should be used anyway, so I'll just shut up now. This is apparently one of the dangers of trying to practice Python programming with the flu.

If you're looking at a population of 60F and 40D, you're looking at roughly the top-2 forwards on each NHL team and the top 1.33 D, right? Usually, D are pushed up in value by having more of them owned, because below the top 60ish you see a big drop-off in production.
    I see your point here, but for any specific league set-up, shouldn't the valuation still be normalized across positions? In other words, doesn't the value calculation already include the number of forwards and defensemen rostered in the league, and thus a player with a higher value is more valuable to a team than a player with a lower value, regardless of the fact that one of them is a forward while the other plays defense? As Campkin discusses, the different characteristics of the drop-off curve mean that different positions' relative values will change when comparing different league formats, which I think is part of what you're saying here. But shouldn't we not have to worry about that within one particular league?

I guess I'm having a hard time with your drawing a general conclusion like this based on one specific setup, when the correct answer is that the value of defense is dependent on the league size and scoring categories.
    Another huge problem with my post. The ambiguity in my use of "average" makes the question sound less connected to the actual meaning of the evaluation than I meant it to be. I meant something along the lines of average valuation under the evaluation system, not average in production. To top it off I then said it all backward as I mused if the results, if true (no evidence of this anyway), would cast doubt on the assertion when I should have asked if it lent any support to it. And that doesn't even take into account the rank vs. value problem you point out. Further, I never meant to imply that such a result (again, if it actually happened) would be in any way be able to be generalized to any other league format, especially, but not limited to, multi-cat leagues. And even just for points-only leagues, this is not very representative, as I think this is an example of pseudo-replication:if there were a trend of such results occuring with the same league format but for multiple years' data sets, then it would be a little more interesting. Among other reasons, looking at only one year's numbers is particularly vulnerable to the rank vs. value problem.
    I hope this in no way comes off as an attempt to deprecate FHG's values, as I think they're fantastic, am happy to pay the small fee for them, and use them myself. In fact, before I discovered FHG (then HPG), I worked on a very crude approximation of a similar method. I just find value for my own understanding, and I can hope occasionally for that of others, in playing devil's advocate at times and questioning those who know what they're doing. This is especially so when I come across data that seem interesting.

Thank you again for your explanations!
    Last edited by Hey Robbie; January 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

This is a great thread, I've had the same questions as the OP and also value the efforts of FHG.

It's good to get a deeper understanding of what the FHG rankings represent and how best to use them when drafting in different league formats.

I don't think this questioning in any way depreciates FHG, it just helps us better understand the reasoning behind these rankings.
    Full Keeper: 10 Team (300 drafted), H2H, Daily, Y!
    Roster: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 10Reserve, 1IR
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW
              W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backes, Toews, Couture, Scheifele, Horvat, Fabbri
    LW: Landeskog, Galchenyuk, Lucic, Palat
    RW: Kucherov, MacKinnon, Carter, Coyle, Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Klingberg, Josi, Shattenkirk, Ekman-Larsson, Phaneuf, Nurse, Ceci
    G: Holtby, Allen, Lack, Greiss, Enroth, Kuemper

2015 League Champion
    2016 League Champion

Dobber Sports Wizard

what this looks like to me is value based drafting and if it is it works as well as your projections

i have been using value based drafting in my fantasy football league for 5 years now and other than the first season where i tied for 1st during the regular season i finished 1st every other season during the regular season and winning 2 championships as well (it is really any given sunday take it from me)

so yeah i mean if i am reading correctly how this is being done it is the same thing as value based drafting and that works the math on it is very sound

again it all comes down to the accuracy of your projections but thats the case no matter what method of drafting you use

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Ace

I tried to update my FHG rankings for one of my leagues (counts FOW, hits, bs and regular stats)

The previous rankings were expected - the top 10:
    Stamkos
    Malkin
    OV
    Giroux
    Crosby
    Karlsson
    Perry
    E.Staal
    Byfuglien
    Letang

Now today when I updated with dobber's shortened season projections the 10 top is:
    Getzlaf
    Callahan
    Girardi
    OV
    Brown
    Crosby
    Giroux
    L.Schenn
    Del Zotto

I understand multicat options are valuable , but suddenly the value of hits/bs has gone up quite a bit (M.Foligno 12, Seabrook 13, Malkin 19, Gorges 20, M.Martin 28). Was something wrong with the updated projections?
    Semi-retired