Thread: Player Rankings For Multi-Cat League

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Player Rankings For Multi-Cat League

Doing a draft next Monday for a league which will dress 4LW, 4C, 4RW, 6D and include 2G per roster. Along with that, it will also be fairly deep for stats, tracking G, A, +/-, shots, PIMs, PPP, SHP, hits, blocks, wins, GAA, sv%, shutouts.

Obviously only 4 of the 13 stat-cats are related to goalies, so they won't be terribly high in value, unfortunately.

But, which players should I truly to target to have a well balanced team which includes guys who will fill up a number of different categories?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In one-year leagues, my personal strategy is this:

In H2H:
    Forwards early & often. In several drafts, I took forwards in 5 of the first 6 rounds.
    Goalies next, depends on size of league. I don't think you'll need a top tier goalie to win a shortened season. Guys like Niemi, Kipper, Pavelec, Varlamov, Anderson - they can all be had late and all will put up solid numbers, in a weekly H2H, they'll beat the Lundqvists & Rinnes in 40% of match-ups, which ain't too bad.
    Defensemen last. In Hits/Blocks leagues, you can wait... wait... wait... and draft some serviceable PIM/Hits/Blocks guys like Mark Stuart and Kyle Quincey very, very late. Drafting defensemen late allows you to concentrate on quality forwards & decent goalies.

In Roto:
    Same strategy, but you have to bump up your goalies much higher.

The main difference between H2H & Roto is goalies.
    In ROTO, you are working with a full season of goalie standings... so your goalie's SV% and GAA have to be excellent.
    In H2H, the week-to-week statistics of a goalie will vary greatly and even Lundqvist can have a bad week that loses an H2H playoff week. SO - stock your skaters to ensure you win almost every skater category. SOG/PIMS/Hits/Blocks are "high quantity" statistics. If you draft those players, you'll win those categories. "Low quantity" statistics like goalie games, +/-, and SHP will vary greatly week-to-week, so don't invest too high in them in H2H.

Good luck.

Thanks. It's a head to head league with what looks like 12 teams at this point. I agree that focusing on FW's will be a big key. But, guys like Kris Letang will still carry a ton of value.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

edit, oops.
    When you say FW, you mean "forwards"... don't you?
    (I think FOW, it gets confusing. I call my forwards as just "F"s.)

So does anyone have a list they could potentially share for guys to target in a multi-cat league such as this?

I know guys like Perry, Brown, Backes, Callahan, Landeskog will have their value increase substantially.

Dobber Sports Star

*cough* http://www.fantasyhockeygeek.com *cough*

Answering your question is the reason we exist as a site.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    *cough* http://www.fantasyhockeygeek.com *cough*

Answering your question is the reason we exist as a site.
    You beat me to it.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust