Thread: Pulled the old "What would Dobber do" card in the draft

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Talking Pulled the old "What would Dobber do" card in the draft

Okay, I will admit I coasted into this week's fantasy draft - 12 team keep 13 - start 3c 3lw 3rw 4 D 2G - I didn't prep it just popped up and away we go.

I only needed 2D guys to fill out a starting roster over my keepers - but I figured that I should take a couple in the first two rounds to get something decent and then worry about forward depth later ( have Hiller, Schneider in goal and Lindback and Lehner on farm) - I was missing my 3rd rounder so it could get slim pickings for D guys for my 4th pick.

So for better or for worse I decided to draft a couple of D guys but with lots available and me with no time to do any deep research I thought what the f*** how to decide.

Aha - slide over to Dobbers keeper D ratings and pick them just like he has them ranked. - Goligoski 1st round and OEL 2nd round to accompany Letang and Carlson (who I traded that 3rd round pick for).

So if my D doesn't work out - it's Dobber's fault.
    Last edited by Shoeless; January 9, 2013 at 9:03 AM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

goligoski has to put up points on that dallas powerplay...so many forward options and he's pretty much the only offensive d on the team right?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Goligoski 1st round and OEL 2nd round to accompany Letang and Carlson (who I traded that 3rd round pick for).
    Great picks.

I...am your father.

Only an injury can stop the Goli!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Stud

I like the picks, I would have done OEL first and Goligoski in the second, but you still came out with both of them, so all that is moot.

Everyone talks about how good OEL is, but Goligoski I find to be one of the more underrated fantasy players out there. Goli had poor point production last season, but I feel like he can match those same totals from last year but in a shortened season.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The only debate I really had with those picks is that Fowler was also available and I was trying to figure out the long term keeper potential because I have a couple of soft forward keepers that I might not protect in the future and keep D guys instead.

I just resolutely stuck with Darryl's keeper rankings to keep it simple. I have S. Elliott on the farm so I think I increased my stock somewhat with these picks and didn't sell off production for this year to any great extend - could have taken Streit at pick one though.

Administrator

That's some fantastic buck passing right there. Will you return to throw him under the bus when things don't work out?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    That's some fantastic buck passing right there. Will you return to throw him under the bus when things don't work out?
    Of course, I have been making notes of insults I can hurl that respect him as a person but tear the shit out of his system. But by the same token, I will also return if it does work out with glowing kudos for his brilliant system. But yeah the buck is officially passed - this is all on Dobber.

You know what is really interesting is that in FHG rankings for this league, Goligoski is ranked as the 134th most valuable skater plus 10 goalies ranked ahead of him to make him like 144th to be picked by the numbers, so I got a deal at 164th (includes keepers and picks to that point) - Ekman-Larsson on paper would be ranked 10 back of him and I got him a 173rd - so comparing keeper values and one year projections there is a fair amount of sync for this year.
    Last edited by Shoeless; January 10, 2013 at 3:14 AM.