Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Kovalchuk staying in KHL...

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    If he voids the deal he aint comin back
    He can't unilaterally void his deal. Not sure the Devils can do it either even if Kovy is in breach of his contract. If Kovy stays in Russia then Devils will suspend him and if he returns to NA that contract is still valid. Would be a messy situation with it being a long-term deal (vs. Radulov situation) but still the Devils would certainly love to have a world class player on their team if he wants to return.

But the point is moot. Kovy will be back in New Jersey next week and all of this will be forgotten and Kovy and Devils are one happy family again.
    Last edited by Carcillo; January 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Kovalchuk's cap hit is actually very reasonable but for a small market team like New Jersey with possible ownership issues voiding that deal would be huge. You are talking about not having to pay over $10 million every year for the next five years plus another $11 million this year (although with the lockout killing half the season half the contract is already killed.) That's tangible.

And I realize that the New Jersey ownership situation has technically been settled but with these guys it never seems to really be settled.

I don't think there's a chance in hell the Devils would consider using one of the amnesty buyouts on Kovalchuk but I do think they'd give serious consideration to letting him walk if it voided their salary commitment. I mean, the Devils already got what they wanted out of Kovalchuk, they got to be a contender for a year and went all the way to the Final. I think it makes sense to let him go if possible.
    If they buy him out they still have to pay him. So 2/3 of that huge chunk of dough is tangible as well. I think I'd rather own him and get some money back from what he brings to the table.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    He can't unilaterally void his deal. Not sure the Devils can do it either even if Kovy is in breach of his contract. If Kovy stays in Russia then Devils will suspend him and if he returns to NA that contract is still valid. Would be a messy situation with it being a long-term deal (vs. Radulov situation) but still the Devils would certainly love to have a world class player on their team if he wants to return.

But the point is moot. Kovy will be back in New Jersey next week and all of this will be forgotten and Kovy and Devils are one happy family again.
    I'm searching for it, but I thought Bill Daly said that his contract would be voided if he did not show up for camp. I know I saw it somewhere.

Either way, the fact that he SAID he would rather play in Russia than pull on a Devils jersey speaks volumes. Ya, he may be forced back, but how the hell does he look at his mates in the eye. If there is a way out of this mess for the Devils, I say they jump at it.

I could see his agent arranging a mutual walk away agreement and we call it no harm no foul.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Guru

Either way, the fact that he SAID he would rather play in Russia than pull on a Devils jersey speaks volumes.
    I'd love to see that exact quote.

I know he's said about it being possible that he stays in Russia but to expressly say "I'd rather play for SKA than for the Devils"? Not buying it unless I see it myself.
    Last edited by Carcillo; January 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Administrator

Either way, the fact that he SAID he would rather play in Russia than pull on a Devils jersey speaks volumes. Ya, he may be forced back, but how the hell does he look at his mates in the eye. If there is a way out of this mess for the Devils, I say they jump at it.
    Why would he have to look at his mates in the eye anyway? Who cares if he said (and this is debatable) that he would rather play somewhere else? The NHL isn't a cult where you have to sell your soul to the owner. It's their job. All he has to do is go back to New Jersey and produce.

Dobber Sports Star

"I want to stay in St. Petersburg but I have contractual obligations in the NHL, which will be hard to break," Kovalchuk said. "Right now, I can't imagine how (my staying in the KHL) can be arranged... But I don't know anything yet."

Unless it was an impostor, it seems like a legit quote and a legit source. Slava Malamud is a writer for Russia's Sport-Express so I'll take it. At the very least, these quotes are out there and Kovy is not rushing to clarify his statements.

Now I can see the argument that he is just trying to be nice to the fans in Russia, but when he comes out and states that he WANTS to stay in the KHL, but is obligated by his contract, you can only spin that so much. Pretty much the wrong thing to say and guarenteed to piss off your team and owners. Hell, it sounds like if his agent could get him out of the contract, he'd be all over it.

Pretty damning IMO
    Last edited by loco man; January 10, 2013 at 4:31 PM.

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Why would he have to look at his mates in the eye anyway? Who cares if he said (and this is debatable) that he would rather play somewhere else? The NHL isn't a cult where you have to sell your soul to the owner. It's their job. All he has to do is go back to New Jersey and produce.
    I'm pretty sure I would be furious if I was the owners or his teammates if he came out and said he would prefer to be elsewhere. I think it does have an impact. Lockeroom cancers are usually shown the door - see Carter and Richards (allegedly). No real reason to move either of those guys, but they were shown the door abruptly.

Just my opinion, but I think this is the last thing NJ wants or needs and must be pissed.

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I don't think there's a chance in hell the Devils would consider using one of the amnesty buyouts on Kovalchuk but I do think they'd give serious consideration to letting him walk if it voided their salary commitment. I mean, the Devils already got what they wanted out of Kovalchuk, they got to be a contender for a year and went all the way to the Final. I think it makes sense to let him go if possible.
    i can't imagine the devils NOT wanting him back. this team was almost bankrupt and taken over by the nhl last year. kovie is one of the only things bringing fans to the arena in jersey (and not even he can fill the arena) but without him (and parise and brodeur soon), well, the devils would be in for a world of hurt... even with him, they are one of thelower spending teams in the league...

Dobber Sports Wizard

see…

"I want to stay in St. Petersburg but I have contractual obligations in the NHL, which will be hard to break," Kovalchuk said. "Right now, I can't imagine how (my staying in the KHL) can be arranged... But I don't know anything yet."

Unless it was an impostor, it seems like a legit quote and a legit source. Slava Malamud is a writer for Russia's Sport-Express so I'll take it. At the very least, these quotes are out there and Kovy is not rushing to clarify his statements.

Now I can see the argument that he is just trying to be nice to the fans in Russia, but when he comes out and states that he WANTS to stay in the KHL, but is obligated by his contract, you can only spin that so much. Pretty much the wrong thing to say and guarenteed to piss off your team and owners. Hell, it sounds like if his agent could get him out of the contract, he'd be all over it.

Pretty damning IMO
    malamud clarifies that kovy was speaking to the rest of this season not his entire career

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Administrator

I'm pretty sure I would be furious if I was the owners or his teammates if he came out and said he would prefer to be elsewhere. I think it does have an impact. Lockeroom cancers are usually shown the door - see Carter and Richards (allegedly). No real reason to move either of those guys, but they were shown the door abruptly.

Just my opinion, but I think this is the last thing NJ wants or needs and must be pissed.
    I think that team family aspect is pretty overrated most of the time. People should just show up and do their jobs.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I think that team family aspect is pretty overrated most of the time. People should just show up and do their jobs.
    I agree.

Just that in this case, with the history (Lou apparently forced to make this deal), the huge dollars committed, the new CBA and now Kovy saying hed rather stay in Russia just adds up to one huge headache that the Devils may want to get out from under.

Hard to predict - I am actually debating going after Kovy in a deal, but already got burned by Rads and now may have talked myself out of it lol

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    malamud clarifies that kovy was speaking to the rest of this season not his entire career
    I only meant for this year. It is still a huge slap in the face to the team to say that he'll just opt out for the year, then see em all next season. "Good luck boys! I'll be thinking of ya!"

If he does that, he is done in NJ.

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Wizard

I only meant for this year. It is still a huge slap in the face to the team to say that he'll just opt out for the year, then see em all next season. "Good luck boys! I'll be thinking of ya!"

If he does that, he is done in NJ.
    none of us know how the other players feel about this

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Pro

Carter and Richards weren't just lockerroom cancers, they were lockerroom cokeheads.

Kovy'll come back and score 20+ goals this season.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post

Kovy'll come back and score 20+ goals this season.
    At first I thought you were implying that he would have an off-year, but now I remember that 20 goals is a good thing. FU Bettman & Fehr.