Thread: Simple League Settings?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Simple League Settings?

Starting a new one year league for buddies who aren't too crazy about hockey pools (unlike myself). In the past it was just simple points only with only skaters and no positional requirements, no moves, etc.

Now trying to set up a similar thing on yahoo - but make it custom settings suited for their experience..

What is the best positional requirements?
    6 F, 4D, 2G, or have more forwards and less Dmen?

What is best scoring policy?
    1g/a = 1 pt, goalie W= 2 pts, SHO =3 pts

Thanks any advice appreciated.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    What is the best positional requirements?
    6 F, 4D, 2G, or have more forwards and less Dmen?

What is best scoring policy?
    1g/a = 1 pt, goalie W= 2 pts, SHO =3 pts

Thanks any advice appreciated.
    You nailed it... this is the exact same format as most of my cash pools. One important exception though: you may want to make defenseman goals worth 2 points... it will help even out their value relative to forwards (otherwise everyone will draft defense at the end).

Keep it simple, keep it enjoyable!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Depending on the size of the league I would go with more forwards and less Dmen.

If you're just looking at points only then what you said would be best, but you could also just do the simple cats like G,A,PPP,PIM,+/- and W,GAA,Sv%,SO. I believe that is what my original leagues were like....

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    If you're just looking at points only then what you said would be best, but you could also just do the simple cats like G,A,PPP,PIM,+/- and W,GAA,Sv%,SO. I believe that is what my original leagues were like....
    That's actually a pretty complicated set of statistics to keep track of for an average joe who just wants to watch hockey and cheer whenever his guys score.

Most people don't follow things like PPP, PIM, +/-, etc... hell I don't even like to follow those stats.

Pretty sure points/assists/wins only would best suit the audience outlined by the OP.

The Wolverine

Depending on the number in the league perhaps make it 8F, 4D, 2G but as it stands is ok, and the scoring setup works as well. I like double (roughly) the number of forwards to defencemen, but that's personal preference. Plus, perhaps have a 10 move limit, so people would pay a bit more attention but just for tweaks.

Banned

I don't know the meaning of the word simple when it comes to my leagues but I think if I were trying to get non-hockey guys involved in a league I'd keep it dead simple, your format is perfect I think. We usually have 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G but I think for beginners that's too much, so just keep it simple, have 6F and 3-4D that way you don't have guys wondering who the hell to pick in the late rounds and they can all hopefully get top tier players that they'll have heard of. That scoring is super simple and standard too. Then if they find they like it you can maybe add some depth to it next season (maybe add PIMs or a couple other stats)

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks, will rep you guys. These guys just like to usually pick teams over beers, so the easiest scoring/rosters will be best.

Probably will go with 7F, 3D, 2G and for stats G,A,PPP = 1 pt, W = 2, SHO = 3. And 4-5 moves (normally they have no transactions)
    Semi-retired