Thread: Keeper Rankings

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Keeper Rankings

I'm in a H2H keeper league, keep six guys. Keeping one goalie for sure, considering maybe two. Goalie stats are W, GAA, SV%. Please rank my goalies from the previous year. Leaning towards Howard and Smith. Any insight appreciated!

Howard
    Smith
    Hiller
    Varlamov

Thanks!
    --------------------------------------------------
    12 Team Yahoo HTH League
    Keep 6 (Long Term)
    Start 4 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 2 G
    Bench 4
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, W, GAA, SV%

Dobber Sports Stud

I think I would go with Howard and Smith because I believe them to be the best options heading into next season.

Hiller is a very good goalie, but I'm not sure what to think of the Ducks and how they will play this season. If I had less concern about winning the this coming season, I would take Hiller over Smith.

Varlamov is the youngest and has the highest potential, but as it stands right now is behind the other three, and with it only being a Keep 6, Varlamov isn't at the level of being a keeper.

Dobber Sports Ace

I think you're bang on with your picks. Hiller could bounce back and be better than Smith long term, but with his value dipping right now and it being a semi-keeper you may be able to pick him back up in your draft.

Dobber Sports Giant

Smith
    Hiller
    Howard
    Varlamov
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Smith
    Varlamov
    Hiller
    Howard

Yes... I know there aren't too many people that may agree with this rankings... but.

1) Mike Smith has been fantastic in Phoenix. His wife is a former Canada National snow-skiier. Smith, from Kingston Ontario, will be looking at getting a HUGE payday this summer when he is a free agent. Do you think he's going to re-sign in Phoenix (warm, not much money) or in Toronto, Detroit, or Minnesota? Smith would look damn good in Detroit or Minnesota. Even Toronto isn't a bad option.

2) I'm not huge on the Colorado defense, but they are a young emerging team that should play a good defensive system.

3) Jonas Hiller is the best goalie of this bunch... but Anaheim's defense is TERRIBLE. Seriously, look at this team. And, both Getzlaf & Perry are free agents this summer and they might both leave for more money in a different hockey-crazed city. These guys are two guys that I see looking for a change of scenery. That Anaheim defense and a team without Getz, Perry, maybe Koivu & Selanne. This is a team that could be the worst team in the NHL for 2013-2014. Seriously... you have to think about that.

4) Howard's contract ends this summer. Detroit's defense is nothing to write-home-about and they may decide to consider may other options:
    i) Sign Mike Smith (who is a free agent)
    ii) Sign Tim Thomas (a Michigan local)
    iii) Wait for the summer of 2014 to sign Ryan Miller (a Michigan local)

Jimmy Howard has been a solid regular-season goaltender for the Nick Lidstrom-Wings... but there's no lock he is the goalie of the future in Motown.
    And Howard hasn't gotten the Wings anywhere in his playoff outings.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; January 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM.

Dobber Sports Genius

I would rank then as:
    Smith
    Hiller
    Varlamov
    Howard
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks for the input guys. Still debating whether I go with one or two goalie keepers in a 6 keeper - 12 team league. Most goalie studs would have been kept already, not sure if I should risk just keeping one. I always find there are goalie surprises every year (I picked Smith up in one of the final rounds last year), so I'm banking on the same this year as well.

My other keepers are; Malkin, Benn, Getzlaf, Zetterberg Landeskog.
    --------------------------------------------------
    12 Team Yahoo HTH League
    Keep 6 (Long Term)
    Start 4 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 2 G
    Bench 4
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, W, GAA, SV%

Dobber Sports Padawan

Only guy you can consider not keeping is Zetts if you want to keep a 2nd tender. For the Goalies I would keep Smith and be ok with you swapping out Zetts for Hiller but personally would keep Zetterberg for this season and see what the draft gets me. There's plenty of late grabs that could turn out surprising (Lindback, Lehner, Holtby, bernier, etc).