Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Bobby ryan

  1. #1
    Rep Power
    0

    Dobber Sports Novice

    Default Bobby ryan

    Thoughts on this guy? Both for this season and beyond

    Longer term, some of the things on my mind are;

    - selanne retiring, obviously good for his pp mins
    - potential to get traded, could be good if he is "the man" on his new team, could be bad if he goes to somewhere with no help
    - perry and getzlaf ufa this summer, could mean he is stuck in anahiem with no help

    I guess in basic terms, where do you guys value him in a points only keeper?

  2. #2
    mister_mcgoo's Avatar
    mister_mcgoo is online now
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16,078
    Rep Power
    70

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default

    I used to be much more bullish on him but I've soured a bit, I thought he had ppg potential but now I'm convinced he's a 60-70 pt guy who benefits from his linemates more than they do from him
    Thats me on the street with a violin under my chin, playing with a grin, singing gibberish.



  3. #3
    metaldude26's Avatar
    metaldude26 is online now
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,606
    Location
    Dryden, Ontario.
    Rep Power
    25

    Administrator

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I used to be much more bullish on him but I've soured a bit, I thought he had ppg potential but now I'm convinced he's a 60-70 pt guy who benefits from his linemates more than they do from him
    I agree with that but he's also yet to really emerge from behind the shadow of Getzlaf and Perry. That situation is coming to a head this summer with both guys becoming UFAs. If someone moves or Ryan is moved then he could find himself in a top line situation where he might also get top line power play minutes. Right now he's getting shut out of the top unit because Selanne has the best hockey sense of anyone on that team and is immensely important for setting things up on their power play. Ryan received just over 2 minutes of power play time per game last year and obviously failed as a result.

    His best season was his rookie year where he scored 57 in 64 and recorded a career high 23 PPP. I think the physical skills are there to do something like that again, just needs to be put in the right situation. He's 25 now though so the clock is ticking. A point of emphasis I'd make is that Perry, was capable of a humongous season around this age range when everything clicked into place so the upside is still there but like Perry it's unlikely to happen ie. Perry last season.
    Tweet me your fantasy hockey inquiries @SteveLaidlaw

  4. #4
    mister_mcgoo's Avatar
    mister_mcgoo is online now
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16,078
    Rep Power
    70

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I agree with that but he's also yet to really emerge from behind the shadow of Getzlaf and Perry. That situation is coming to a head this summer with both guys becoming UFAs. If someone moves or Ryan is moved then he could find himself in a top line situation where he might also get top line power play minutes. Right now he's getting shut out of the top unit because Selanne has the best hockey sense of anyone on that team and is immensely important for setting things up on their power play. Ryan received just over 2 minutes of power play time per game last year and obviously failed as a result.

    His best season was his rookie year where he scored 57 in 64 and recorded a career high 23 PPP. I think the physical skills are there to do something like that again, just needs to be put in the right situation. He's 25 now though so the clock is ticking. A point of emphasis I'd make is that Perry, was capable of a humongous season around this age range when everything clicked into place so the upside is still there but like Perry it's unlikely to happen ie. Perry last season.
    good points, I guess what I saw is that when Getz has been hurt the last 3 seasons, Perry really stepped up in a big way and led the offense, Ryan I didn't see that from, if anything he struggled and that's what worries me
    Thats me on the street with a violin under my chin, playing with a grin, singing gibberish.



  5. #5
    Reuben's Avatar
    Reuben is online now
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    879
    Rep Power
    11

    Dobber Sports Initiate

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    good points, I guess what I saw is that when Getz has been hurt the last 3 seasons, Perry really stepped up in a big way and led the offense, Ryan I didn't see that from, if anything he struggled and that's what worries me
    I would go the other way with this one. Two years ago, when Getzlaf missed about 15 games in January, Ryan responded well and was very good during the second half of the season despite, again, not seeing a ton of PP time once Getzlaf returned. Close to a PPG during the final 40,50 games. That was in his 71pt season.

    I can understand how the bloom is off his rose a bit - mostly because he's 25 and it would be easy to think he's riding coattails on that roster.

    But if you take away last season - when every single Duck had a rough year - his production has been better every year, with limited PP time outside his rookie year.

    If you can get really good value back, feel free to go for it.

    But I'd be inclined to wait a year, see what happens with Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne, and/or a trade, before moving him.

  6. #6
    Rep Power
    11

    Dobber Sports Padawan

    Default

    I just like owning him so I can get stoked once or twice a season when he does a goal of the year.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 7) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    12 F 6 D 2 G

    F: Giroux, Tavares, Seguin, Ryan, Pacioretty, Ribeiro, Fleischmann, Coyle, Schwartz, Scheifele, Lindholm, Killorn
    D: OEL, Brodin, Beauchemin, Hamonic, S Jones, Murray
    G: Quick, Rinne

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •