Thread: New season or not, Don Cherry needs to shutup

Dobber Sports Pro

Default New season or not, Don Cherry needs to shutup

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...er-tweets.html

Yeah thanks Bettman, you were the front man of this lockout in the beginning, and you deserve no thanks for saving the fans a shortened season. Cherry is truely primed to be pushed out on an iceflow and forgotten already.

Administrator

Meh, that's one of the least divisive statements Cherry has made in a while.

I think Bettman gets too much flack. He's just a patsy for the owners. That's who he answers to. We were all mislead long ago into thinking that pro sport commissioners represent the league as a whole and thus the game. They don't, they represent the owners and that's it. We just need to redefine the term commissioner in our own heads so that we can come to grips with what Bettman's actual job/responsibilities are.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Meh, that's one of the least divisive statements Cherry has made in a while.

I think Bettman gets too much flack. He's just a patsy for the owners. That's who he answers to. We were all mislead long ago into thinking that pro sport commissioners represent the league as a whole and thus the game. They don't, they represent the owners and that's it. We just need to redefine the term commissioner in our own heads so that we can come to grips with what Bettman's actual job/responsibilities are.
    Exactly! Too many people are quick to mention Bettman as the poison in these NHL issues when in fact he is simply doing his job, representing the owners. He is doing what's in the best interest of the owners.

If he is really the commisioner for the League, he should be worried about what's best for the league. He works for the owners, make no bones about it. He looks out for their best interests and no one elses.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    He works for the owners, make no bones about it. He looks out for their best interests and no one elses.
    Except when he fines them (or threatens to) when they speak out against the 'officially' stance in the lock-out.

Bettman doesn't represent all owners... at least not with equal vigor.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Exactly! Too many people are quick to mention Bettman as the poison in these NHL issues when in fact he is simply doing his job, representing the owners. He is doing what's in the best interest of the owners.

If he is really the commisioner for the League, he should be worried about what's best for the league. He works for the owners, make no bones about it. He looks out for their best interests and no one elses.
    I do think there should be a real commissioner of the league concerned only with league-wide issues so the interests of fans, players and owners would all be considered. I'd want some kind of panel including Ken Dryden (a lawyer so that's a plus), Wayne Gretzky (former player/owner and GOAT) and others or something like that. And basically any time the players or owners get out of hand with this lockout stuff they get dick slapped.

The best part, Bettman, as representative of the owners would be the one publicly receiving that slapping.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Except when he fines them (or threatens to) when they speak out against the 'officially' stance in the lock-out.

Bettman doesn't represent all owners... at least not with equal vigor.
    True but he has to represent a collective (not easy) so he is all about solidarity.

Dobber Sports Initiate

While Bettman's job does rest in the hands of the owners, make no mistake, the majority of it is his plan and he does a great job of selling it to the owners. I have a feeling there will be a few unpleasant owners when they see this deal and won't be happy with Bettman, but it's better than not having a season at all.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The people who deserve credit for saving the season is not Bettman, not Fehr. No one in the NHL or NHLPA deserves credit. I would give some credit to Scott Beckenbaugh. The biggest load of credit, though, goes to the sponsors who started pushing by threatening to take away their money. That's what put a fire under Gary's ass and got this done.

Also, Cherry is a dinosaur. Just ignore the senile old man.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Master

Don't take anything that Cherry says seriously. Ever. I used to get livid when I heard some of his rants but it's honestly not even worth putting in the energy. If you hear him on Coaches Corner just laugh at his suit and watch him cut off Ron MacLean.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    The people who deserve credit for saving the season is not Bettman, not Fehr. No one in the NHL or NHLPA deserves credit. I would give some credit to Scott Beckenbaugh. The biggest load of credit, though, goes to the sponsors who started pushing by threatening to take away their money. That's what put a fire under Gary's ass and got this done.

Also, Cherry is a dinosaur. Just ignore the senile old man.
    Absolutely, if anybody is deserving of credit for getting this done is the mediator, Scot Beckenbaugh
    Last edited by lobo1969; January 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    That's exactly looking out for the best interests of the owners. NHL would have gained nothing by allowing owners to speak freely to media about the ongoing negotiations.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw