Thread: I'm Keeping 3 Goalies & You Can't Stop Me

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default I'm Keeping 3 Goalies & You Can't Stop Me

Hey friends,

Haven't posted in what seems like forever. My league is scrambling to get the draft going in the next couple of weeks. The commish opted to postpone until everything was resolved.

Anyway, it's a keep 5 league, first league in sig below, and it's unheard of to keep 3 goalies but it's got to be done. The trade value simply isn't there to let any of Rinne, Lundy or Schneider go, and Hartnell has had more time to cool off from last year.

If you think you can stop me, or think I'm crazy, I'd love to hear it but this is the plan, I'm almost 100% on sticking to it.
    Keep 5 12 Team H2H
    Daily:2C,2LW,2RW,2F,4D,2G
    Skate:G,A,TP+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG
    G:W,GAA,SV,SV%,SO
    Keepers Bolded
    C: Kadri, Trochek, E.Linholdm(RW), W.Karlsson
    LW: Ovechkin, Arvidsson(RW), Marchsessault(C), Keller(C,RW)
    RW: Seguin, Zuccarello, K.Hayes(C),
    D: Karlsson, Hamilton, Krug, Green, Phaneuf
    G: Holtby, Talbot, Lehner
    IR: Burakovsky
    NA:

Keep 6 12 Team H2H
    Skate:G,A,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,HIT,BLK
    C: Scheifele, Kuznetsov,Pavelski(RW)
    LW: Forsberg,W.Karlsson(C),Connor,JT Miller(C,LW)
    RW: P.Kane, Tarasenko,Stone,Bailey
    D: Byfgulien,Subban,Chabot,Ellis,Gudas
    G: Holtby,Varlamov,Markstrom
    IR: Darling,Fabbri

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by theunrealmine View Post
    Hey friends,

Haven't posted in what seems like forever. My league is scrambling to get the draft going in the next couple of weeks. The commish opted to postpone until everything was resolved.

Anyway, it's a keep 5 league, first league in sig below, and it's unheard of to keep 3 goalies but it's got to be done. The trade value simply isn't there to let any of Rinne, Lundy or Schneider go, and Hartnell has had more time to cool off from last year.

If you think you can stop me, or think I'm crazy, I'd love to hear it but this is the plan, I'm almost 100% on sticking to it.
    Call me crazy, but i'd try to trade one of Rinne or Schneider for a star forward. If you haven't found a willing dance partner, then yeah, I'd keep all three. But i'd make the push. You only dress 2 weekly.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Ideally a star forward would be in the mix. I had a standing trade with another GM if/when Luongo gets traded I give Schneider, and he gives me Parise. This may still happen once the season starts, and, if so, is worth keeping the 3rd goalie. Another GM just messaged me that he's in the need for a goalie but has to review his team to see what he's willing to give up. This silly post might be all for naught. Dang my silliness.
    Last edited by theunrealmine; January 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM.
    Keep 5 12 Team H2H
    Keepers Bolded
    NA:

Keep 6 12 Team H2H

Administrator

Impossible to talk a man off a ledge if you might be talking him onto another one. Would be nice to know who else you might keep.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Initiate

My other options are Hartnell, Green, and Suter.
    Keep 5 12 Team H2H
    Keepers Bolded
    NA:

Keep 6 12 Team H2H

Administrator

You are probably on the right track with this three goalie thing then. Seems everyone else is either not good enough to keep or undervalued (Green).
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Novice

Hey friends,

I like your approach, my thoughts have always sided with having a strong goaltending crop. Just as some insight, is there any other team that can compete on or with your goalies, cause it doesnt look like it. A good trade could make your team!
    10 Team Auction Draft Keeper League
    Keep 3 (+$5 to any player kept, apply difference to $200 cap)
    KEEPERS
    C- J.Thornton, R.Getzlaf
    LW-T.Hall, M.Lucic
    RW-C. Giroux, M.StLouis
    D-D.Phaneuf, M.Methot, J. Schultz
    UTL-T. Purcell
    G-M.A.Fleury, Lundqvist
    BENCH-J.Jagr, J.Voracek, T.Ennis, D. Brunner, Z.Kassian

Yahoo Standard H2H League 1win-1loss
    G-A-P-+/- -PPP-HITS-SOG W-GAA-SV-SV%

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    You are probably on the right track with this three goalie thing then. Seems everyone else is either not good enough to keep or undervalued (Green).
    I agree with this. Three goalies might look like a lot in a keep 5 league, but I believe the trade value will go up once your draft is over and the season starts.
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Superstar

My other options are Hartnell, Green, and Suter.
    Given everything you've said I'd keep all 3 goalies. Your other options are not that attractive and goalies are important in your setup with 8:5 skater:goalie stats and 3 cumulative goalie stats.

I would explore trading one goalie (I like the Parise deal you mentioned) either before or after the draft but be in no rush to do so. I'd push hard to move Schneider but be more leery of trading either of the other 2 until Luongo is officially traded.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

In a 12 team league where you count so many goaltending categories it's likely you'll be able to trade one of those goalies for something good next year. Might be able to pounce on someone in desperate need of goaltending.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If you hoard those three you're also denying your competitors a top-notch goalie. So you may not have to trade any of them. Well played.

Dobber Sports Newbie

With your scoring categories, there is absolutely no way you should keep Schneider over Hartnell.

As far as we know right now, Schneider will be in a platoon situation seeing a 50/50 split. I don't think Luongo will be traded (for a host of reasons, CBA included), and I expect him to reclaim the job as the "starter." There is also a chance you could redraft Schneider based on the above and the fact that you "can't find a dance partner" as far as a trade is concerned. This makes me think other GM's in your league are set in goal, and/or you are asking too much back in trade.

Given that you have two other workhouse goalies ahead of Schneider, and given the compact shortened schedule, it is highly unlikely that Schneider (or whoever you deem as your 3rd goalie) would even see very many games for you anyway considering that most teams will play most nights, thus regulating Schneider to your bench on days when Rinne and Lundqvist both have games as well. Hartnell would play every game for you, every night, and there likely arent very many (if any) players better than him available for you to draft.

Aside from that, it isn't a matter of "having time to cool off" for Hartnell. His uptick in production last year was a direct result of more playing time (top line minutes, more PP time) by way of Richards and Carter departing for LA. So long as Hartnell's situation doesn't change, last seasons numbers will be closer to the norm than the stats of years past. Which, by all accounts, were excellent, and makes Hartnell one of the most valuable players to own in a multi-cat league that counts peripherals.

At the end of the day, there are still 8 offensive categories for you to worry about, and there aren't very many players in the league who contribute to as many as Hartnell does on a regular basis. A bonafide multi-cat stud or a 3rd goalie (regardless of who it is)? This is a no-brainer to me and something I wouldn't even think twice about. You can't make such important decisions based on what "might" happen with Luongo or what "might" happen with a trade in your league. The only thing that is certain is what you know at the point when you have to make the decision and that is that Luongo hasn't been traded, and a trade is not in place in your league.

Hartnell is the logical choice.