Thread: Simple: Heatley or Vrbata

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Simple: Heatley or Vrbata

Hey guys,

I,m looking to maximise pts per $ spent in my league in sig. So, according to you, should I drop Heatley for Vrbata, who's sitting on the ww?

Thanks!
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Monster

$70.2 cap. Where is your current cap situation? You'd save about $4 mil with the difference of Heatley vs Vrbata. Can you swing a trade instead? Get back a draft pick or something,etc * use Heatley's name" then maybe pick up Vrbata...just one idea.

Dobber Sports Genius

no cap space for now ( 0.022 M cap space in fact)....I have two non-tradable assets right now ( Heater and Nash )....not that I didn't try.....

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Sophomore

It looks like Radim Vrbata's cap hit is $3 million for the next season, while Dany Heatley's is $7.5 million. I'd expect Vrbata's offensive production to decline a bit moving forward. He tallied the highest shooting percentage (.151) since his rookie season of 2001-02. I'd expect something along the lines of 45-50 points. Meanwhile, Heatley's a declining offensive player. While I think he'll benefit from playing on a Minnesota PP unit that now has Zach Parise, his star has dimmed a bit and he's no longer a high-end offensive force at even strength. I could see 55 points from him over a full season, certainly no more than 60. Vrbata is the better bargain here.
    Mike Schmidt
    Follow me on Twitter: @MikeTSchmidt
    Check out my fantasy hockey musings: http://soicyhockey.com/

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by CHunter View Post
    no cap space for now ( 0.022 M cap space in fact)....I have two non-tradable assets right now ( Heater and Nash )....not that I didn't try.....

Well then you need to go with Vrbata here. The 2 players will be close enough in points to warrant saving the cap space and getting similiar production in return.

Dobber Sports Genius

Thanks guys,

The following players are still available on the ww and are in the 3-4 M per year range:

Peverley
    Hudler
    J.Jokinen
    D. Brassard
    M. Grabner
    A. Vermette
    M. Hanzal
    A. Steen

Are they better options?

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd drop Heatley for Vrbata, if you need the cap to make another move, which it looks like you probably do.

From the list provided I wouldn't take any of them over Vrbata, that said I'm not so sure how Vrbata is going to do without Whitney, and wouldn't hang on to him for too long if he doesn't show much of last seasons form.

Dobber Sports Immortal

In a cap league Im also all over Vrbata. Sure maybe Heatley performs a bit better in the years to come with the new Wild lineup but it's not worth what you'll be paying for. I expect him to sit on the wire for the majority of the season.

Dobber Sports Giant

you need to try to get something/anything for heatly.
    get a late pick/risky prospect or something if you can. to just drop heatly is crazy.
    vrbata is a bargian in a cap league though.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Genius

I would take Vrbata over Heatley.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Let's do this as Apples-to-Apples.
    That requires us knowing "Why you want to make this move?"

For example, let's say you are looking at production between 2 guys sharing $8.5m.

$7.5m Heatley = 65pts (my opinion, bounceback year, time to heal, great linemates)
    $1.0m scrub = 40pts (you can almost always find a cheap scrub to get you 40pts)

$3.0m Vrbata = 50pts (this is what I think he's good for)
    $5.5m PlayerX = 55pts+

So... if you can find PlayerX that can get you that 55+pts (at $5.5m), then you go this route.

But again... it's not always about $$$/production.
    You should always be considering little groups of 2-3 players whenever you make moves.

Long story short... I think you'll end up going with Vrbata+PlayerX... but just find him first before you make the switch.

END NOTE: What you should really do is make a list of players available, their salaries, and their $$$/point last year. List all that information so that when you discuss one player, you can also be prepared to discuss the effects of multiple players, because to do an apples-to-apples comparison you have to compare the same number of players given the same cap space. (say 3 players that make $12m combined, etc.)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

In a salary cap league Heatley is useless. For 7.5 mil per year and a (hope) for 60 points he sits on my farm. Get anything you can for him!
    Keeper Salary Cap 83.5 13 teams use AAV FOR SALARIES = 3c, 3rw, 3lw, 4d, 1g and 5 bench+ up to 7 farm. G-1,A-1,PIM-.1,+/-=.2, Blk -.1,Hit-.05 Goalies- W-2,GA=-1,SV-.1,SO-3

G- Hellebuyck, Saros
    LW- Barbanov, Bratt, Tolvanen
    RW- Rantanen, Draisaitl, Zuccarello
    C- W. Johnson, Jarvis, Rossi
    D- Petry, Heiskanen, Durzi, Gustafsson
    Bench- Greig, Benson,

Farm- Clarke, Edvinsson, Nazar, W.Smith

IR- Pelletier