Thread: Advice on prospects and wingers

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Advice on prospects and wingers

Team and league in the signature. My roster is full so I'd need to drop for any additions. We are a salary capped league (but not NHL salaries - it's complicated). Brunner and Rattie are catching my eye, but I tend to overvalue prospects. My view is I have too many centres (Zack Smith? He's okay for penalty minutes).

In this league you can end up owning a guy you take as a rookie for 10-12 years, so there's some incentive. They're also good for your salary cap as they are often 4-10 times cheaper than established veterans. Finally, you must dress at least one rookie every period. I suspect/hope one of Galchenyuk, Nyquist, and Holtby will fill that role over the course of the season, but you never know.

Given all that, here are some notable FA that I might be able to afford. Any suggestions on who to pick up and who to drop would be appreciated. I suspect Smith is the first to go, but his PIMs are reliable...Likely drop a centre for a winger, but not guaranteed.

FA (in no particular order):
    Damian Brunner (okay, he's a centre, but I see him as insurance for Nyquist - likely one of them gets a top 6 in Detroit)
    Ty Rattie
    J. Jagr (would pretty much put me to the cap)
    Fleischmann
    Stafford
    Hansen
    Zubrus
    Tanguay
    Latendresse (bit of a flyer due to injury history, but could be a big reward with Spezza)
    Sykora
    Ladd

Otherwise, it's looking pretty bleak on the FA market.

Any thoughts on my team (even beyond what I'm asking above) are welcomed.
    12 Tm Keeper League
    3-6 C 6-9 Wing 6-7D 2G
    P,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,GA,Saves

C: McTavish, Elias Pettersson, J.T. Miller
    W: Boeser, Huberdeau, Kakko, Bratt, Gaudreau, Giroux, Jarvis, Kyrou, Boldy, Tuch
    D: Werenski, Hughes, Korchinski, Montour, Ekblad, Sanheim
    G: Sorokin, Shesterkin

Farm:
    C: Rossi
    W: Raymond, Berggren, Pelletier, Peterka
    D: Perunovich, Sandin, Timmins, Hutson
    G: Kochetkov

Would be nice to know the cap hit on the Free Agents before making a full assessment, but as it stands now Tanguay and Fleischmann look most appealing to me. Rattie is a few years away and in a bit of a prospect log jam in STL, so I'd avoid him if you're looking for rookies to play. Brunner could be a good investment, as he has a better chance of making DET this year and actually helping your team.

Would still like to know how much cap space you have and the cap hit on each of these players before we look deeper though.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd look to dropping Paajarvi, and look into adding one of Fleischmann, Jagr, Stafford, Tanguay, or Ladd.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by thinice View Post
    Team and league in the signature. My roster is full so I'd need to drop for any additions. We are a salary capped league (but not NHL salaries - it's complicated). Brunner and Rattie are catching my eye, but I tend to overvalue prospects. My view is I have too many centres (Zack Smith? He's okay for penalty minutes).

In this league you can end up owning a guy you take as a rookie for 10-12 years, so there's some incentive. They're also good for your salary cap as they are often 4-10 times cheaper than established veterans. Finally, you must dress at least one rookie every period. I suspect/hope one of Galchenyuk, Nyquist, and Holtby will fill that role over the course of the season, but you never know.

Given all that, here are some notable FA that I might be able to afford. Any suggestions on who to pick up and who to drop would be appreciated. I suspect Smith is the first to go, but his PIMs are reliable...Likely drop a centre for a winger, but not guaranteed.

FA (in no particular order):
    Damian Brunner (okay, he's a centre, but I see him as insurance for Nyquist - likely one of them gets a top 6 in Detroit)
    Ty Rattie
    J. Jagr (would pretty much put me to the cap)
    Fleischmann
    Stafford
    Hansen
    Zubrus
    Tanguay
    Latendresse (bit of a flyer due to injury history, but could be a big reward with Spezza)
    Sykora
    Ladd

Otherwise, it's looking pretty bleak on the FA market.

Any thoughts on my team (even beyond what I'm asking above) are welcomed.
    MPJ and Josefsen can be replaced, imo. Both are young and have upside, but neither seems to be grabbing the bull by the horns. I'd be fine with letting MPS go for Ladd.
    However, if that will eat too much cap, go for young guys with upside who could be in a top 6 roll for minimal $. Brunner is 26 - prime years - and ripping it up with Zetterburg overseas.

I'm surprised Rattie is not owned. I'd take him over Josefsen.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm over MPS and would let him go alongside smith for Stafford and Ladd. I agree on Rattie over Josefsen as 187 said.

Depends on their cap hits and how that affects you though.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Essej View Post
    I'd look to dropping Paajarvi, and look into adding one of Fleischmann, Jagr, Stafford, Tanguay, or Ladd.
    this is the first thing that came to my mind too.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Thanks for all the feedback!

In response to Dr. Smurf, I have approximately "$73" in cap room (I'll gain more as I drop players). Paajarvi is a bit of a steal at $10, otherwise I wouldn't have him (hoping for a resurgence, but I take your point). Smith is $22, so he's a good stop gap. Josefson is sort of the same boat at only $16 - if he grabs the bull by the horns it's a good use of cap dollars. As a source of context, I have Malkin for $175 as my highest paid player, cap is $1500.

Here's the costs of the FAs mentioned:

Damian Brunner $5 for farm, $15 if I dress him
    Ty Rattie $5 for farm
    J. Jagr $73
    Fleischmann $65
    Stafford $68
    Hansen $65
    Zubrus $65
    Tanguay $64
    Latendresse $47
    Sykora - $60
    Ladd $59

I can free up $11 dropping Smith, $5 dropping MPS.

Here's a thought. Dropping Smith, MPS and Josefson gets me $88 in cap room. I could add Rattie ($5) Brunner ($15 worst case) and any of the above players except Jagr. Or Rattie and any of the players and keep some space for as the season progresses - see how Brunner starts off. I sort of like Brunner as a hedge against Nyquist falling out of the top six. I could pick up Tatar as well for that hedge, he's listed as a winger, but I think it's really Nyquist vs. Brunner for the roster spot.
    Last edited by thinice; January 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM.
    12 Tm Keeper League
    3-6 C 6-9 Wing 6-7D 2G
    P,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,GA,Saves

W: Boeser, Huberdeau, Kakko, Bratt, Gaudreau, Giroux, Jarvis, Kyrou, Boldy, Tuch

Farm:

Beaulieu, Trouba, Armia, are also available in addition to Rattie. Any of them of interest given my team? Trouba's certainly the darling of the Juniors right now.
    12 Tm Keeper League
    3-6 C 6-9 Wing 6-7D 2G
    P,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,GA,Saves

Farm:

Dobber Sports Veteran

Ladd seems like a decent deal.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Agreed. I'm torn right now though. I'm leaning towards Fleischmann even though he's more expensive. Seems to have more of a lock on top line duties and less chance of being leaned on for a checking role if the need arises. On the other hand, Ladd has the potential for a lot of PIMs, which is helpful in my league.

Straight up pick with the cats in the league in sig: Fleischmann, Ladd or Stafford? Right now I'm thinking that's the order actually.
    12 Tm Keeper League
    3-6 C 6-9 Wing 6-7D 2G
    P,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,GA,Saves

Farm:

Thanks to everyone for their answers and advice. I've dropped Smith and Josefson and acquired Trouba and Fleischmann. Rattie just seemed too log-jammed. I have Oshie and Berglund and it's hard to have players from STL...

I'm still on the fence about MPS. I have him as a cheap darkhorse, but if Yakupov makes the Oilers, he's on a checking line...I'd probably drop him for Brunner as a hedge against Brunner pushing Nyquist out of the top 6, but I don't know if Brunner's more likely than MPS to be a breakout this year...MPS certainly will have a good cast around him in years to come.
    12 Tm Keeper League
    3-6 C 6-9 Wing 6-7D 2G
    P,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,GA,Saves

Farm: