Thread: What are my teams biggest needs and how do I stack up?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default What are my teams biggest needs and how do I stack up?

Hey guys,

I was hoping for a team audit to see what types of improvements I should be looking to make throughout the season (if there is one :s)

11 Team, partial keeper (keep 12 of 25, max 2 goalies).
    G, A, Pts, PPG, PPA, SOG, +/-, GWG, PIMs, W, GAA, SV%

F: H. Sedin, Seguin, St. Louis, Semin, Carter, Duchene, Tanguay, Doan, Roy, Horton, J. Jokinen, C. Stewart, Peverly, S Kostitsyn, Symth, Carcillo
    D: Letang, Doughty, Suter, R. Whitney, Bieksa, Liles
    G: Rinne, Fleury, Kipper

I also have a farm team that includes yakupov, tarasenko, grigorenko, and bartschi who can contribute this year, but likely will only call them up as IR replacements due to the league set up (unless they are absolutely killing it).

I would say that my closest competition would be 2 other teams due to both talent and lots of potential trade bait (picks/prospects):

Team A
    F: Parise, Kessel, Getzlaf, Spezza, Datsyuk, P. Kane, Sharp, Oshie, Stepan, Parenteau, McDonald, Briere, Vrbata, Foligno, Gionta, Fisher
    D: Pietrangelo, Wideman, Markov, Hamonic, Campbell, Phaneuf
    G: Hiller, Price, Varlamov

Team B
    F: D.Sedin, Perry, Ryan, Hall, E. Kane, Neal, Couture, Filppula, Turris, Pavelski, Hemsky, Downie, Vermette, Steen, Boyes,
    D: Green, Kronwall, Myers, Timonen, Burns, Streit, Fowler
    G: Rask, Halak, Neuvirth
    - Has biggest and best farm team (including RNH and Landeskog for this year, but might keep them an extra year in the farm)
    Last edited by slapshot99; January 3, 2013 at 1:01 PM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

welcome to the boards, and nice little team you got there bud...

I am not too familiar with your scoring cats, but your team looks pretty strong, with a nice farm team. you are in a position to win now as well as in the future. Have you decided who your keepers are?

You are pretty balanced up from and on D and goalies seem to be rather strong. The only advice i would give is looking to package a couple of players for an elite player ie. perry, malkin, crosby etc.. You have the youth that could jump in and take any extra spots .... just a thought.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In an 11-team league with a 9/3 category split... I'd put your team in the middle-of-the-pack.
    Forward depth is weak, and that's not good when you have a category split that really requires offense for 8 categories.

Forwards: C-
    Defense: A
    Goalies: A

I would personally look to move your goalies for a better return at forward.

If this is H2H... you have to consider goalies differently than in roto. (Is it H2H or Roto-Standings league?)
    2 of the 3 goalie categories are percentage-based, which means that you could win a playoff match-up just by getting a few lucky starts from back-ups or crappy #1 goalies.

In this league, I'd be accumulating a ton of fire-power among my skaters.

In H2H, if you win the 8 offensive categories (G,A,Pts,+-,PPG,PPA,SOG,GWG), it won't matter how your goalies do.
    If it is roto, then you need your goalies to still be decent, but I think you can still part with Rinne (say) and do very well.

Let your leaguemates know that all of your goalies are available and see what kind of return you can get to improve your forwards.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; January 3, 2013 at 2:42 PM.

Dobber Sports Star

What's the scoring period? Do you have weekly matchups (H2H league) or is it a season-total league? If H2H, Pengwin's advice is bang on. If not, then total balance is much more of an issue.

In any case, you definitely are weak up front in those scoring categories, and with goaltending only being a relatively small contributor to the standings, your extremely strong crew in the crease means that you have shortcomings elsewhere. I'd look to move one of your goalies for a boost up front.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the replies guys. For a little clarification it is a season-long category pool (NOT H2H). It is also an auction based, salary cap league, so the talent is fairly spread out.

I would consider my team to be in the top 4-5. The other teams that I posted in my original message are also in that group. There are 1 or 2 who have strong teams as well but very little trade bait, so unlikely to win. From previous years it requires a lot of picks/prospects to buy a championship team.

Here are the other 2 who are competitive (although lack trade bait)

Team C
    F: Benn, Backstrom, Thornton, Lucic, Hartnell, Richards, Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Booth, Setoguchi, Jagr, Cammalleri, C. Smith, L.Adam, Ryder, Cervenka
    D: Yandle, Gilbert, Rundblad, Gonchar, E. Johnson, Faulk
    G: Quick, Howard, Khudobin

Team D
    F: Giroux, Toews, E Staal, M Koivu, Heatley, Lecav, Wheeler, Skinner, Kesler, Backes, Lupul, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Erat, Silfverberg, Brassard
    D: Weber, Enstrom, Girardi, Nikitin, Spurgeon, Quincey
    G: Smith, Anderson, Vokoun

So how would you rank my team compared to the 4 that I have listed?