Thread: 2013 NHL Scheduling Considerations

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default 2013 NHL Scheduling Considerations

There hasn't been a new thread or post in the one-year section in a while.
    So - I thought I'd look at one team's schedule for the remainder of the year.

If there is a season, here is some things we can assume:
    1. 48 games per team. (Typically a team plays 64 games in-conf, 18 out-conf)
    2. Play games within conference only.

BLACK = games that will likely remain
    RED = conference games that might be rescheduled. (only 48/64 conf games would be played, so some of these games need not be rescheduled)
    BLUE = out-of-conference games that will be removed

So, here is the Flyers 2012-2013 schedule:

Thu, Oct 11 Boston
    Sat, Oct 13 @NY Islanders
    Thu, Oct 18 Pittsburgh
    Sat, Oct 20 Winnipeg
    Thu, Oct 25 @Montreal
    Sat, Oct 27 Toronto
    Sun, Oct 28 @Buffalo

Tue, Oct 30 Dallas
    Thu, Nov 1 New Jersey
    Sat, Nov 3 Anaheim
    Sun, Nov 4 @ NY Rangers
    Tue, Nov 6 Buffalo
    Thu, Nov 8 @ Carolina
    Sat, Nov 10 Carolina

Tue, Nov 13 Minnesota
    Fri, Nov 16 @ Buffalo
    Sat, Nov 17 Buffalo
    Wed, Nov 21 Ottawa
    Fri, Nov 23 Winnipeg
    Sat, Nov 24 @ NY Rangers
    Wed, Nov 28 @ Toronto
    Thu, Nov 29 @NY Islanders
    Sat, Dec 1 @ Florida
    Tue, Dec 4 @Tampa Bay

Thu, Dec 6 San Jose
    Sat, Dec 8 @ NY Islanders
    Sun, Dec 9 NY Islanders
    Tue, Dec 11 New Jersey
    Thu, Dec 13 @ Washington
    Sat, Dec 15 Carolina
    Wed, Dec 19 New Jersey
    Fri, Dec 21 @ New Jersey
    Sun, Dec 23 @ Ottawa

Thu, Dec 27 @ Nashville
    Sat, Dec 29 @ St. Louis
    Mon, Dec 31 @ Phoenix
    Thu, Jan 3 @ Los Angeles
    Sat, Jan 5 @ San Jose
    Sun, Jan 6 @ Vancouver

Thu, Jan 10 Montreal
    Sat, Jan 12 NY Rangers
    Tue, Jan 15 @ Winnipeg
    Thu, Jan 17 Washington

Sat, Jan 19 Calgary
    Sun, Jan 20 @ Chicago

Wed, Jan 23 vs Toronto
    Tue, Jan 29 @ Minnesota
    Fri, Feb 1 @ Washington
    Sat, Feb 2 Detroit
    Tue, Feb 5 Tampa Bay
    Thu, Feb 7 Florida
    Sat, Feb 9 Edmonton
    Tue, Feb 12 Pittsburgh
    Thu, Feb 14 @ Columbus
    Fri, Feb 15 @ New Jersey
    Sun, Feb 17@ NY Rangers
    Wed, Feb 20 @ Pittsburgh
    Thu, Feb 21 Florida
    Sat, Feb 23 Colorado
    Mon, Feb 25 NY Rangers
    Wed, Feb 27 Washington
    Fri, Mar 1 NY Islanders
    Sat, Mar 2 @ Toronto
    Mon, Mar 4 Tampa Bay
    Sat, Mar 9 @ Boston
    Sun, Mar 10 Chicago
    Wed, Mar 13 @ New Jersey
    Fri, Mar 15 Montreal
    Sun, Mar 17 @ Florida
    Mon, Mar 18 @ Tampa Bay
    Fri, Mar 22 @ Carolina
    Sun, Mar 24 @ Pittsburgh
    Tue, Mar 26 Pittsburgh
    Thu, Mar 28 NY Islanders
    Sat, Mar 30 @ Boston
    Sun, Mar 31 Boston
    Tue, Apr 2 @ Montreal
    Thu, Apr 4 @ Ottawa
    Sat, Apr 6 @ Winnipeg
    Tue, Apr 9 Pittsburgh
    Thu, Apr 11 Ottawa
    Sat, Apr 13 NY Rangers

39 GAMES on schedule from Jan.19th-April 13th
    31 conference games to remain (likely), 8 non-conference games to be removed (likely) and replaced
    +9 conference games to be re-added (likely at end-of-schedule or inserted into current schedule)

There's not really any point to this... fantasy-wise.
    Just wanted to take a look at the re-scheduling that the NHL would have to do.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; January 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I feel like there is a lot of fantasy relevance to the new schedule versus the old that people should consider.

I already drafted a while ago but if some reports are true (which I don't believe personally) that each team will play their division rivals 7 times and everyone else in the conference twice, you have to look at divisional strength.

Lundqvuist for example: Has to see the Flyers, Penguins, Islanders, Devils 7 times. That makes up 58.3% of Lunqvuist's games.. against better than average offensive teams. It could certainly have an effect on Lundqvuist's numbers. Another thing to consider with Lundqvuist is that he was often given nights off to keep him fresh. The schedule will be much more grueling this year with so many games packed into such a short period of time. If Lundqvuist gets the rest like he did last year he won't be starting nearly as many games as poolies would like. If he starting all of those games will his numbers be able to stay as strong as they were when he got the rest?

Lots to consider if you haven't drafted yet... scheduling should be considered.
    2010-2011 League Champion
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2,G | G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, BS, W, GAA, SV%
    C: Getzlaf, Backstrom
    LW: Hall, Tlusty
    RW: Malkin, Lupul
    D: Ehrhoff, Del Zotto, Enstrom, Carle
    G: Holtby, Smith
    Bench: Faulk, Druoin, MacKinnon, Brodin, S. Mason, Bernier
    H2H Keeper League [5F, 1D, 1F/D 1G]
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO
    F:Tavares, Landeskog, E.Kane, Backes, Yakupov, RNH/Kesler
    D: Green/OEL
    G: Rask

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by 3rtpaper View Post
    I feel like there is a lot of fantasy relevance to the new schedule versus the old that people should consider.

I already drafted a while ago but if some reports are true (which I don't believe personally) that each team will play their division rivals 7 times and everyone else in the conference twice, you have to look at divisional strength.

Lundqvuist for example: Has to see the Flyers, Penguins, Islanders, Devils 7 times. That makes up 58.3% of Lunqvuist's games.. against better than average offensive teams. It could certainly have an effect on Lundqvuist's numbers. Another thing to consider with Lundqvuist is that he was often given nights off to keep him fresh. The schedule will be much more grueling this year with so many games packed into such a short period of time. If Lundqvuist gets the rest like he did last year he won't be starting nearly as many games as poolies would like. If he starting all of those games will his numbers be able to stay as strong as they were when he got the rest?

That is really good analysis. With so many games in each week, I wonder if sometimes it would make more sense to draft and start 1a + 1b combos.

E.G. Would it make more sense to draft and start in a weekly league Elliot and Halak over a Lunqvuist and a Smith given that you are guarenteed at least one start per game the Blues play as oppsed to possibly getting only 60% of the games of the others. I could see in the shortened grueling schedule every team trying to work in a 1a and 1b situation.

Not arguing this position, more it is just a thought...
    In too many leagues for too much money to put my teams in my signature anymore

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'd bet on a 50-game schedule.

4 Division Opponents x 5 games each = 20 games.
    10 Conf Opponents x 3 games each = 30 games.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    50 games.

I really doubt it will be 7 games per divisional opponent, too many... considering playoff seeds are conference-based.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; January 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm obviously still keeping Lundy in my league but I admit he might struggle this year considering the schedule. Well, struggle is a big word for Lundqvist. He simply might not be his glorious self as much this year.

I agree that I'll look at schedule a little more this year when I draft. The Southeast division is pretty weak defensively but filled with potent offenses. I might look to stack up on Caps, Canes, Bolts, Jets and maybe even Panthers...

Dobber Sports Wizard

i read this at work and it nearly ruins my day especially after realizing earlier in the week that i drafted hiller for the anaheim schedule and now that will not matter

however i just ran the numbers and last season lundqvist won 74% of his divisional games with a 1.93 gaa and .936 sv%

his averages for the season were 63% 1.97 gaa and .930 sv%

believe it or not if you take out the isles his win % drops a point to 73% however his gaa improves to 1.90 and his sv% improves to .937 so there isnt even an argument that a weak isles helped inflate his numbers

he chewed through his divisional opponents last season

also 23% of his games were in division but 38% of his shutouts came within the division

now my day isnt nearly as ruined

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    i read this at work and it nearly ruins my day especially after realizing earlier in the week that i drafted hiller for the anaheim schedule and now that will not matter

however i just ran the numbers and last season lundqvist won 74% of his divisional games with a 1.93 gaa and .936 sv%

his averages for the season were 63% 1.97 gaa and .930 sv%

believe it or not if you take out the isles his win % drops a point to 73% however his gaa improves to 1.90 and his sv% improves to .937 so there isnt even an argument that a weak isles helped inflate his numbers

he chewed through his divisional opponents last season

also 23% of his games were in division but 38% of his shutouts came within the division

now my day isnt nearly as ruined
    Haha well I didn't go through all those numbers but it is just something everyone should highly consider given the circumstances of it all. Out west should be very intersting how the schedule plays out.. 4 games a week with a potential for a ton of travel... never know what that can do to players.
    2010-2011 League Champion
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2,G | G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, BS, W, GAA, SV%
    C: Getzlaf, Backstrom
    LW: Hall, Tlusty
    RW: Malkin, Lupul
    D: Ehrhoff, Del Zotto, Enstrom, Carle
    G: Holtby, Smith
    Bench: Faulk, Druoin, MacKinnon, Brodin, S. Mason, Bernier
    H2H Keeper League [5F, 1D, 1F/D 1G]
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO
    F:Tavares, Landeskog, E.Kane, Backes, Yakupov, RNH/Kesler
    D: Green/OEL
    G: Rask

Dobber Sports Demi-God

4 games a week with a potential for a ton of travel... never know what that can do to players.
    I've always thought travel was overrated.
    You have to get on a plane to go almost anywhere... 2hours on a plane vs. 4hours on a plane, meh - it's all downtime.

I speculated it might eat at the Winnipeg players last year because they had housing situations that weren't established... but when a player becomes settled in his home city - travel is just getting on & off the airplane.