Thread: Rate them for salary cap league

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Rate them for salary cap league

Hey guys,

Please rate the following players for a salary cap league (players salary) pts only:

Versteeg
    Vanek
    Horton
    Peverley
    Stafford
    Nash
    Heatley
    J. Jokinen
    Stastny
    Roy
    Franzen
    Weiss
    Booth
    Carter
    Semin
    Grabner
    Havlat
    Berglund

Thanks!
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Stud

If you know and have their salaries I would suggest adding that on to the post, making it easier to rate the players.

Dobber Sports Genius

All right, good point, here are the salaries for next season:

Versteeg 3.6M
    Vanek 6.4M
    Horton 5.5M
    Peverley 3M
    Stafford 4M
    Nash 7.6M
    Heatley 6M
    J. Jokinen 3M
    Stastny 6.6M
    Roy 5.5M
    Franzen 5.25M
    Weiss 4.1M
    Booth 4.5M
    Carter 6.25M
    Semin 7M
    Grabner 3M
    Havlat 5M
    Berglund 2.4M

players in BOLD are in their last year of contract...

thanks

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CHunter View Post
    All right, good point, here are the salaries for next season:

Versteeg 3.6M
    Vanek 6.4M
    Horton 5.5M
    Peverley 3M
    Stafford 4M
    Nash 7.6M
    Heatley 6M
    J. Jokinen 3M
    Stastny 6.6M
    Roy 5.5M
    Franzen 5.25M
    Weiss 4.1M
    Booth 4.5M
    Carter 6.25M
    Semin 7M
    Grabner 3M
    Havlat 5M
    Berglund 2.4M

players in BOLD are in their last year of contract...

thanks
    Obviously, it all depends on what you're looking for. To win now, win later? Do you prefer high-risk/high-reward or the safer route? Are bargains more attractive to you than a solid producer with a high salary? Etc.

Nonetheless, here's my list:

Peverley 3M: I like Peverley a lot in salary-cap leagues. He's a pretty good bet for 50 points every year and at 3M$, that's a bargain.

Roy 5.5M: In a contract year, I like the addition of a guy like Roy. He's been injured for the past couple of years but he's been known to produce at a point-per-game clip for long period of times. I'd be happy with him on my roster.

Vanek 6.4M: Obviously, his salary is unattractive but he's been a fairly consistent producer and that should be true for at least a few more years.

Berglund 2.4M: I like Berglund a lot. I think his potential is sky-high and his salary is still pretty low. However, he plays for the Blues, a team whose forwards share their ice-time pretty evenly. I think his ceiling for the future is high but for now, he's more of a low-floor, low-ceiling kind of guy.

J. Jokinen 3M: He's in the Peverley category but I like him a little less considering the addition of many better forwards on his team. Sure, he could reap some rewards but I can also see him drop his production as his ice-time is reduced.

Stafford 4M: He's a top winger for the Sabres so he'll have his opportunities. He had a strong finish last year and he's usually good for the 50-60 point-range. Don't see him do much better than that.

Nash 7.6M: For him to be of good value in a salary cap league, he'd need to produce at least 75-80 pts. Sure, he's going to have a great center now but I'd rather see it first before I invest that much in him.

Horton 5.5M: Injury-prone but on a solid team where he'll get decent minutes. He'll never live up to expectations but I can see him being a solid contributor for many years. Plus, he's in a contract year.

Versteeg 3.6M: He slowed down considerably after a hot start. He's a 55-60 points performer at best but he could go as low as 40. His salary is interesting though.

Weiss 4.1M: Same as Versteeg but he costs just a little more.

Stastny 6.6M: I'm iffy on Stastny. The talent is there, the opportunity as well but he's been injured a lot and doesn't seem to have his heart in it. Considering his salary, I'd rather go elsewhere.

Semin 7M: He costs a ton! However, it's only for one year and if you believe he can regain his form and be a 70-80 pts man again, then go for it. I don't.

Grabner 3M: Reasonable tag price but a very inconsistent player. His ceiling is probably around 55-60 points but he's no sure thing to get there. I'd rather stay away from him.

Franzen 5.25M: I love Franzen as a hockey player but fantasy-wise, he's not that great. In a goal-heavy league, he's great but in points-only where goals and assists are valued the same, he's not as attractive, even less in a salary-cap league.

Carter 6.25M: Same as Franzen. He's got potential for more points but he's a goal scorer with very few assists who costs a lot and plays for a team that has many other options.

Havlat 5M: Typical high-risk, high-reward player. He could have 80 points on a full season or 20 in an injury-shortened one.

Heatley 6M: High salary for a player who's disappointed for three years. Sure, there's some help coming with Parise and Suter but I don't believe in him much.

Booth 4.5M: Goal scorer with few assists and unless he finds his stride with the Canucks, could fall into oblivion soon enough.

Good luck!

Dobber Sports Genius

Thanks for the inputs Niconasr! Much appreciated!

Actually, I think I have a chance to win now but at the same time, I want to have the best bargain in terms of pts per $ spent....and risk doesn't scare me at all.

I want to move Nash and Heatley so I think that Roy and maybe take a chance on Havlat could be an option....thoughts?

Thanks ni advance!

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CHunter View Post
    Thanks for the inputs Niconasr! Much appreciated!

Actually, I think I have a chance to win now but at the same time, I want to have the best bargain in terms of pts per $ spent....and risk doesn't scare me at all.

I want to move Nash and Heatley so I think that Roy and maybe take a chance on Havlat could be an option....thoughts?

Thanks ni advance!
    I think you have a fair chance to move Nash for something good or at least a pretty good draft pick but I don't think Heatley will get you much. Unless there's a Wild fan on your team who is so excited with his 'new' team that he'll want him and give you something substantial in return.

I like the idea of keeping Roy. Is this the league in your sig?

Being a Havlat owner is not for the lightly-hearted but I would advise not to go with him. Then again, it's your team so it's your choice.

Good luck!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post

Versteeg 3.6M: He slowed down considerably after a hot start. He's a 55-60 points performer at best but he could go as low as 40. His salary is interesting though.
    Versteeg could be a good choice for a shortened season. He's a typical hot starter, over his four full seasons, he's averaged 0.77 ppg for the first 48 games of a season. That's well above his career average of 0.63 ppg. Of course being that it's a keeper, you may be looking further into the future. Food for thought.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    Versteeg could be a good choice for a shortened season. He's a typical hot starter, over his four full seasons, he's averaged 0.77 ppg for the first 48 games of a season. That's well above his career average of 0.63 ppg. Of course being that it's a keeper, you may be looking further into the future. Food for thought.
    You're right. Versteeg is definitely a streaky player.

He'd be a better bet if this was a seasonal league but for a keeper, I'd look elsewhere.

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah, my league in sig...I'm thinking about droping Heatley and Nash and grab Vrbata and Roy from the waivers....I would save 5,1M on the cap and could maybe move Strome to get a better point producer....any thoughts on this move?

Kind of unsure about dropping Nash....but I can't trade him to anybody right now because of his salary....do you think he can reach 85 pts in a season?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Roy, Versteeg and Weiss are my favorite guys on the list. Notice how Versteeg and Weiss are perenially underrated probably because of the team they play for. Don't let things like that influence your rankings.

If you have money to throw around I also think Vanek is appropriate value.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Stud

My rankings ignoring salary:
    1. Nash
    2. Vanek
    3. Semin
    4. Stastny
    5. Heatley
    6. Carter
    7. Roy
    8. Franzen
    9. Weiss
    10. Verstreeg
    11. Havlat
    12. Horton
    13. J. Jokinen
    14. Stafford
    15. Peverley
    16. Grabner
    17. Berglund
    18. Booth

Of the Top 3 players I have listed when factoring salary into the equation, I like Vanek the best. If you can find room for him, I like him better than anyone on the list, Nash included because of the fact that he comes a bit cheaper.

If your looking for a player under 6 million I can see how Roy would be an enticing option, but at 5.5 million he's tough to justifiy having in my opinion. I see things going one of two ways with Roy he struggles with Dallas or he does very well with his new team, I don't really see an inbetween for him. That said if you can't afford one of the guys that are worth more and you have enough room for him and don't need any more space for anything else, than I would go for him.

If you need to find a cheaper option than Roy I like Weiss and Versteeg, with a the edge going to Weiss, but with Versteeg being a tad cheaper he's a fine option as well.