Thread: Advice needed for salary cap league

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Advice needed for salary cap league

Hi all,

I'm a newcomer on and I would like to have your input on my team in sig.

It's a salary cap league with the possibility to grab some waivers if needed.

What do you think about my team? Do I have some forwards to get rid of?

In terms of D-men, I was thinking to drop one of them for a more proven one still available on waivers like Green or Doughty. Is that a good move? Personnally, I tend to drop Rielly but at the same time, he is at low cost for 3 years and the other two are going to sign for big money in 2 years...Thoughts?

Thanks!
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Guru

By quick calculation you don't have cap room to simply swap Rielly for Doughty, right? If you do, it's an easy decision.

But I would certainly drop Heatley for Doughty. You should afford that small difference in salary. If not, then pick up Green instead of Doughty. He's got equal salary to Heatley.
    Last edited by Carcillo; January 2, 2013 at 7:35 AM.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Deity

Looking at your roster, your G is solid and you have some really good fwds.

I agree with what Carcillo said. I would be dropping Heatley for Doughty (not sure why those guys are available on a waiver wire) but Rielly wont add you much help this year at all (assuming we have a year) and no real guarantee he will even make the Leafs next year. He could still be 3 years away.

Is it safe to assume that since you are dropping a Fwd for a D, that you would also have to drop a D to make room for Doughty coming in? You would also have to pick up a cheap Fwd to replace Heatley (something close to Rielly's salary).

In a 9 team league, there must be plenty of decent players still available. Just curious as to why you are carrying prospects on your roster? Does your league not have a minor league setup?

Welcome to the forums, btw.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Thanks for the inputs guys,

Actually, I have 5.5M cap space available to make a move. We do have some prospects in the roster in order to respect the cap in this long term pool.

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd also think about maybe moving Nash. His cost per point is insane. That'd allow you flexibility on your D, where you could use an upgrade short-term.
    Last edited by dongjohnson; January 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Genius

Agree, Nash cost per pts is really high right now but maybe he'll produce more in NY? Is Heatley another possibility to drop? Will he bounce back?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by CHunter View Post
    Agree, Nash cost per pts is really high right now but maybe he'll produce more in NY? Is Heatley another possibility to drop? Will he bounce back?
    I think I would hang onto Nash, for the time being unless you can trade him before a season starts. However if Nash doesn't improve his totals with the Rangers I don't think you can justify carrying him with his pricetag.

Heatley is defiantly a possibility to drop and the guy I would be most keen on dropping. He could bounce back, but he's never going to be the ****ing all-star he once was. Something like 30g 30a in a full season is where I'd have him give or take a few points.

If you can fit Doughty I would pick him up, it's alway nice to have one bonafide guy on the backend. Keeping an eye on Green wouldn't hurt either.

Dobber Sports Genius

ok guys,

I made a move today and I managed to get Doughty and drop Rielly so I think my D is pretty solid now but maybe I should try to upgrade my forwards a little..

what are your take on Nash, Heatley, Strome or Atkinson in a pt only salary cap league (players salaries are counting)?

Thanks

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by CHunter View Post
    ok guys,

I made a move today and I managed to get Doughty and drop Rielly so I think my D is pretty solid now but maybe I should try to upgrade my forwards a little..

what are your take on Nash, Heatley, Strome or Atkinson in a pt only salary cap league (players salaries are counting)?

Thanks
    If there's a season I don't think Strome will play with the Islanders. But you seem to be right up against the cap and he's a nice enough prospect where you can let him eat a roster spot even though he isn't playing. If you can make room as nice as he is, he's still dropable.

I have high expectations for Atkinson and he comes cheap, and the cheap point producers are key in winning salary pools. I'd defiantly hang onto him unless he proves otherwise if and when a season starts up.