Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Oliver Ekman-Larsson

I know there is a lot of support for this guy in here. I am not doubting his talents, but i am just hoping to understand a little more WHY everyone is so keen on him?

How much is stat driven vs "gut feel"?

Anyone not a believer? Why?

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smyl View Post
    I know there is a lot of support for this guy in here. I am not doubting his talents, but i am just hoping to understand a little more WHY everyone is so keen on him?

I'm definitely a believer. He's show great progress after being a #6 overall pick. His progression has been quick (it may not continue at that rate) and that indicates a real talent. He's not the best in league at his position (fantasy wise), but he will be in the top rankings within the next couple of years.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Monster

He's offensive minded defenseman, has great vision, great skating, logs tons of minutes, PP minutes, carries the puck in, as he continues to mature, more and more of the Phoenix offense will go through him. There is everything to love about this kid. He oooozes talent and long term sustained success.

Banned

OEL is complete package defenceman without any weaknesses in his game. At the ripe age of 20, he is already phoenix's best and most important player. He plays defence first and tough minutes, but his offensive game is also top-notch (though, not nearly in the same league as yandle's game - which is a popular misconception with the growing hype around him). He does bring an elite transition game - very good passer, elite skater and puck carrier, but just an average shot from the point. His best comparable in the nhl, if he reaches his absolute top potential, is non other than the best defenceman currently in the league - alex pietrangelo (i know most will disagree, so we will keep the focus on OEL). There is no doubt that OEL is destined for greatness, he just needs to continue to develop and gain experience. it sucks that he plays for phoenix, as the team is not only defensive minded, but also owned by the nhl and will be forever fighting to field a productive team (unless they eventually get moved). i think that his growth (fantasy numbers wise) will be hindered by this and the progression will be slow and steady. Still, he is already fantasy worthy and his value will continue to rise. Any move for him should be weighed accordingly.

Dobber Sports Genius

60 point upside. In his best years, should eclipse the 47-52 point range.
    Agree with what already has been said. I've tried to land him but he's been tightly guarded by my fellow GMS. As long as Yandle is there, temper expectations to 40-44 points, but if KY goes, the sky's the limit with OEL.
    If you can land him, do it soon, he going to be harder to obtain. He reminds me a little of Pietrangelo w/a better defensive side to his game.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Sage

Have him in every single pool I'm in. 1 pool I have had him for 4 years. He'll be a perennial top 5 scoring D-man from the back end for next decade +....
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Administrator

The simple answer: he is just that damn good.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=120283

Look at his progress dating back to Sweden, to his first year in the NHL, to his second (better) year, and to his AHL stats this year. Dude is a stud.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah, he's rocking the AHL with his overall game. He's one I'd like to snag if at all possible in one of my leagues.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks guys. So in summary:

PROS:
    - vision, skating, hockey sense, passing, puck carrying
    - gets tons of overall minutes, and pp time
    - very good defensively, but is also offensive minded
    - has shown strong progression, doing well in the AHL right now

CONS
    - plays in phoenix
    - behind/beside yandle he is not clearly "the guy"
    - average point shot
    - still young/developing

So this leans me towards patience being the key. He could bust out with a good season, but more than likely he will progress steadily to the mid 50's range in a few years.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I forgot the most important part. Paul Bissonette describes him as the best player he has ever played with!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

To be fair, his slap shot isn't anything to behold, but he's a very heady player with a short windup and terrific accuracy. He's never had trouble scoring goals at any level. His 13 goals last year was actually good for 5th in D scoring. He also has a terrific wrist shot.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Interesting thread. Love reading up on OEL. With the season set to start and my team set below, I'm wondering, having read about a 60/40 split of Future Perenial All Star vs Very good 2 way Defender on OEL, Where does he fit on my team (see below).

I've had him a couple times in the past 2 years and lost him either to the draft or trade. I know now that I can get him for a 2nd round pick straight up, and maybe not even lose out on watching what Kulikov and Smith can do.

Based on my Cats and what I currently have on my team, Is OEL worth the 2nd round pick? Is he gong to be a fantasy stud, or just a real life stud?

Thanks for the help guys!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Interesting thread. Love reading up on OEL. With the season set to start and my team set below, I'm wondering, having read about a 60/40 split of Future Perenial All Star vs Very good 2 way Defender on OEL, Where does he fit on my team (see below).

I've had him a couple times in the past 2 years and lost him either to the draft or trade. I know now that I can get him for a 2nd round pick straight up, and maybe not even lose out on watching what Kulikov and Smith can do.

Based on my Cats and what I currently have on my team, Is OEL worth the 2nd round pick? Is he gong to be a fantasy stud, or just a real life stud?

Thanks for the help guys!
    If you mean the second rounder in a prospect draft, absolutely you should give that up for OEL.

If it's a supplemental draft second rounder, you're looking at around the 140th best player available (based on 10 teams x 13 keepers), and I'd rank OEL higher than that, so yeah I'd do that deal too.

Since you like reading up on the guy, check out this article. I've posted it here before.

http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/5/22/oliv...rvalued-season
    10 team roto, Keep 17 + 50 farmers (Farm GP limits 246 F, 328 D and 200 G). Dress 9F 5D 1Ut 2G (G, A, D-pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, W, SV%, GAA)

F- Tavares Bergeron Simmonds Kucherov Radulov Skinner JVR Brown R. Smith Perron Kesler
    D- Doughty Josi Giordano Suter Muzzin Boroweicki
    G- Dubnyk Murray Smith
    Farm highlights: Abramov, Chlapik, Cirelli, Kunin, Mantha, McCarron, Perlini, Johnsson, Zykov, Ritchie, Honka, Kylington, Sorokin, C. Point, Dansk

Dobber Sports Pro

Phoenix doesn't get a lot of airtime. If OEL was playing in Canada or Chicago/Philly/Detroit/NY, he would be a household name.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by jsuites View Post
    If you mean the second rounder in a prospect draft, absolutely you should give that up for OEL.

If it's a supplemental draft second rounder, you're looking at around the 140th best player available (based on 10 teams x 13 keepers), and I'd rank OEL higher than that, so yeah

Since you like reading up on the guy, check out this article. I've posted it here before.

http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/5/22/oliv...rvalued-season
    Thanks man. Yeah, I did read this article you posted. Very interesting. The 2nd rounder is a supplemental draft. We keep 14 so yeah...150the best player. I only keep 4 defenders...so end of day, what are the chances of OEL taking over one of my 4 keeper D spots...likely over Kulikov or Smith or Whitney.

I've made my pitch for the 2nd rounder.