Thread: Ryan Whitney

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Ryan Whitney

Is this dude healthy?

Or is his ankle/foot too chronic to even consider him anymore?

I keep wondering who the blueline beneficiaries of playing with RNH, Eberle, Hall, and Yak will be... other than Schultz... and won't Schultz experience some rookie-like issues his first year or two?

Anyone remember Karlsson's first full hyped up season? -30 ish, and a two month stretch of no offensive production smack in the middle of the season...

Does anyone smell a 58 point season from Whitney IF he's healthy?
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Guru

He's in the last year of his contract, and considering they won't play more than 48 games this year, I don't see a 58 point season coming.

I don't see him getting re-signed by Edmonton either. He'd need to stay healthy and put up some serious numbers in a shortened season -- and even then, he'd be due for a significant pay cut.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Administrator

I think he's done. He still has good size and a good mind for the game but he's really lost his mobility. When he came back last season he was seriously limited in what he can do. The passing, the vision, the shot, it was all there but he was often a liability because he just couldn't move like he used to.

Maybe all this time off is the best thing that could happen to him and he really recovers but I'm sceptical and now that the Oilers are starting to add dynamic offensive defenseman Justin Schultz I don't see where Whitney fits in. He will still get second unit power play time and that second unit could feature Yakupov, Gagner, Hemsky and Smyth so it could still be fantastic but he's not going to be a top unit guy so it'll be tough for him to produce like one.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

I think I'd keep a close eye on him if we do have a season... see if he has some of that old gittyup again.

My guess is he'd be the first pairing partner for the kid... PP or not, top minutes on this squad should produce points for all on ice.
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I think you are talking about a player whose only maybe 75-80 percent of what he was a few years ago. He's going to play regularly and be somewhat productive when healthy, but he'll probably miss a bit of time and be forced to overcome reduced mobility. However, that doesn't make him an undesirable option. He looked good when paired with Nick Schultz late in the season last year. But if you are looking for Whitney to return to fantasy prominence, you'll likely be disappointed. I think he'll be an effective but replaceable fantasy d-man meant for deep leagues only.
    Last edited by MikeTSchmidt; December 30, 2012 at 3:25 PM.
    Mike Schmidt
    Follow me on Twitter: @MikeTSchmidt
    Check out my fantasy hockey musings: http://soicyhockey.com/

Dobber Sports Pro

If I could acquire him really cheaply, without having to move or drop anything substantial, I definitely would.

Everyone is assuming that Schultz is going to adjust to the NHL and be productive right away. While I don't disagree with that, there are never any guarantees. If he was to struggle, Whitney (if healthy) would get solid PP1 time which in Edmonton, should be golden.

It is a risk, but with very little ventured, the reward could help land a championship.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    I think I'd keep a close eye on him if we do have a season... see if he has some of that old gittyup again.

My guess is he'd be the first pairing partner for the kid... PP or not, top minutes on this squad should produce points for all on ice.
    Schultz won't be first pairing. He'll probably be third pairing, but first power play. The Corey Potter treatment. That way he gets his feet wet without being able to hurt the team too much but also being able to provide good offense. No doubt they'll use him more as they require more of a spark from the back end and as he gets more comfortable but I suspect Schultz starts third line.

Whitney will be playing in the top four guaranteed but won't be on the top power play so you aren't wrong that he'll get the minutes such that he could produce if the Oilers lineup is truly that explosive.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Veteran

In a one year league, if he's on the cheap? All day long.

I like Whitney this year: Zero pressure to return early, lots of offensive weapons to work with, and a contract year. Whitney could surprise...

Dobber Sports Stud

Don't really see a place for Whitney on your team. But if you could swing a deal with the Whitney owner trading one of your bottom three dmen, while upgrading on the wing or at forward, in a 2 for 2 deal, I would defiantly try for that.

If Whitney is a free agent at the time being, I'd look to swing a 2 for 1 deal, and scoop him up; if no one bites I'd just keep an eye on him and determine whether or not when to pick him up or not to.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I agree with the others in that if you can get him cheap, either via draft or trade it certainly could pay off.

It's a risk and I don't expect too much from him, but could he put up maybe between 30 and 40 points? Definitely possible with all the talent he's around in Edmonton.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

http://oilersnation.com/2012/8/9/whats-up-with-whitney

It's from August but it's as honest of an interview from the guy that you will find. He opens up about his limitations from before and how most of that is past him now. In short, expect a rebound.
    15 Year Rebuild - Turd Ferguson (commish)
    21/22 Keeper League - Fringe Hockey Division (commish)
    TwoMinutesForRoughing - Sunnyvale Samsquanches
    Vulcanized Rubber Dynasty - Midwest Pipeliners
    Potbelly Hockey - Middleclass Gangsters

Dobber Sports Ace

If we're passing out story links, I'll give this one from November.

Basically Ralph Krueger (at the bottom) saying RNH and Schultz at the points on the first unit, with Yakupov, Hemsky, and Gagner.

Eberle would be the triggerman on the second unit.

Take it for whatever its worth...

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/11/0...-yakupovs-game

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    If we're passing out story links, I'll give this one from November.

Basically Ralph Krueger (at the bottom) saying RNH and Schultz at the points on the first unit, with Yakupov, Hemsky, and Gagner.

Eberle would be the triggerman on the second unit.

Take it for whatever its worth...

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/11/0...-yakupovs-game
    Then I'll take that second PP with Eberle, Hall, Whitney...etc.!