Thread: Centre Position at the NHL Level

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Centre Position at the NHL Level

Most of these guys are being used on the wings at the junior level. Which of the following have the best shot at being number one centres at the NHL level?

Mark Scheifele
    Jonathan Huberdeau
    Ryan Strome
    Alex Galchenyuk

Dobber Sports Padawan

Definitely Huberdeau. Florida drafted him knowing that he was the #1 center of the future. very little competition to impede him from reaching that goal.

Galchenyuk is too good not to end up as MTL's #1 C eventually, but I don't see him being used at centre right away with Pleks and DD as the 1 and 2 guys at this point in time.

Strome will never surpass Tavares so as long as he's on the island and Tavares remains healthy, there is about a 0% chance of him being more than the #2 guy there.

Scheifele's case depends on how the Jets plan to use him. Think it's just as likely that they keep him at RW going forward as it is that they play him at Centre.

In either case he could end up at a top line guy there eventually.
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I was under the impression that Florida wants Huberdeau as a leftwinger since they also have Bjugstad coming along nicely.

Out of this group I'd go Galchenyuk without a doubt. Nothing standing in the way of that first line center job when he's ready for it.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I echo hershy, and add Scheifele and Strome in perfect worlds would be great as duel elidagable players...

Currently the top future centers for Winnipeg are Burmistrov and Little... Scheifele is in competition with Ivan Telegin, and Eric O'Dell as solid centers coming through the ranks (Scheifele is well head of them is skill, talent and arrival time) but almost every Center in the Winnipeg system are familier with the Wings too (and many wings are also center competent)... Makes them a very versitile team, but also difficult to predict who will slot where...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ace

In a tournament like this it is not uncommon for players to be displaced by others with more experience than them. RNH has already proven to be a capable C in the NHL, so it is not such a huge surprise that he is the #1 C on Team Canada. I'm just guessing here, but I don't think that a NHL coach will base their team's needs based on Steve Spott's line-up.

As for your question, I think Bnhershy said it well.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Both Galchenyuk and Scheifele, flip a coin. They are big, powerful players that fit the prototypical number one centre mold. I believe Strome and Huberdeau will be utilized as wingers at the NHL level.

If I had to pick one, I would roll with Gally for sure.
    Last edited by dmvincent; December 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Stud

I think Huberdeau will be the best from that group, but I thing he'll do it as a first line winger.

Galchenyuk is the one I believe will be the most likely to be a number one center.

Strome I see more as a high end #2 center, and with Tavares being on the Islanders, there's no way Strome moves up to first line center duty. Also wouldn't be surprised to see him used on the wing in the NHL.

Much like Strome, I see Scheifele as a high end #2 center. With Strome and Scheifele they could be first line centers, but it's determine by what team they are on and who else is on their team when they hit their stride.

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks for the replies guys. Here is my take.

Huberdeau hasn't played C for a while. He took the occasional draw with Saint John Sea Dogs, but is used primarily as a winger. I would think that if Florida see him as a Centre, this season would have been perfect for him to get comfortable in that role, on a depleted Sea Dogs team.

Watching Strome for team Canada has got me intrigued. I agree, he'll never surpass Tavares as the Isles First line C, but could develop into a Joe Pavelski type, racking up close to 70 with all that young talent on the Islanders. Might he be converted into a winger, next to Tavares?

Scheifele is a big man, and has all the tools to be a great C. He was used as a winger in last season's 9 game stint in the NHL, and has the grit to play that role.

Galchenyuk will be a C at the NHL level. Marc Bergevin drafted him for that role, and has said that's where he sees him fit in.