Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: NHL proposes lottery draft for non-playoff teams...

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default NHL proposes lottery draft for non-playoff teams...

League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Genius

They really don't want Columbus to get Mackinnon.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    They really don't want Columbus to get Mackinnon.
    LOL...if the NHL gets their way Columbus may not have the "balls" to draft him.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Stud

i like it. year end tanking is a joke. teams tank and it affects playoff positioning. it affects players stats as guys like malkin rack up the pts in the meaningless games.

the only thing worse is tankers in fantasy that do it under the guise of "im building for the future"

sure you are tanker

tankers ruin real and fantasy hockey

Dobber Sports Genius

My question is who would people want to land that lottery pick to get 1st overall?

I have to admit, something in me loves the idea of Colorado landing Mackinnon or Seth Jones. I miss the days when they were a dominant team even though I'm a Sharks fan.

Perhaps Toronto, but that would make people too crazy on here.

I like the idea of Winnipeg getting that. They need a true star center for the future to line up with Kane. That's probably my number 2 team to land that first pick.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Guru

I love it. Still gives the worst teams the best chance to win, but also creates a bit more drama for the draft lottery.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Ninja

Perfect timing. The Oilers shouldn't be a bottom feeder team much longer, but could miss the playoffs. Would love to see them land MacKinnon even though they don't deserve it!!

Administrator

Yeah... Anyone who follows the NBA knows that an expanded lottery only makes the problem worse. Now you are giving teams that actually could make a run at the playoffs a reason to tank it since everyone gets a shot at a top three pick. This certainly won't help the problem, in fact, it could exacerbate it.

I'd like to see a year end tournament between all non-playoff teams where they battle it out for higher draft position. This is something that Bill Simmons has suggested to resolve the NBA's own issue with tanking because draft lotteries do not work. Oh, and if you think people wouldn't watch remember that 1.8 million tuned in to watch the NHL draft lottery this past spring. People would watch a tournament to determine the first overall pick and it would generate real revenue for non-playoff teams. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Why can't these idiots look outside the box?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Exactly what MD is saying. Just handing losers something isn't providing them with incentive to make a proper effort. A year-end draft tournament would be awesome. I'm sure the owners would love it since it would bring in even more revenue.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Exactly what MD is saying. Just handing losers something isn't providing them with incentive to make a proper effort. A year-end draft tournament would be awesome. I'm sure the owners would love it since it would bring in even more revenue.
    Oh wow yeah... this works on so many levels.

We aren't we the ones running the league?
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Padawan

I've thought about the loser tourney before, but the main issue with it is that it punishes the legitimately awful teams which is contrary to the purpose of the draft lottery.

While both systems discourage tanking to a certain extent, only the lottery helps the teams that need it most
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bnhershy View Post
    I've thought about the loser tourney before, but the main issue with it is that it punishes the legitimately awful teams which is contrary to the purpose of the draft lottery.

While both systems discourage tanking to a certain extent, only the lottery helps the teams that need it most
    Yes, but I think that history has proven that the only way for bad teams to get help is to help themselves. It's the difference between say Chicago and Columbus. And that's because unlike say the NFL where a franchise QB can turn you around overnight or the NBA where a franchise player can turn you around overnight no one player can turn you around in the NHL. The key for NHL teams is to draft well year after year, round after round but teams are too caught up with the Penguins' model and think they can get franchise altering players if they just get top picks and so they foolishly tank for years when what they really need to do is change the way examine talent and manage their roster.

So to me there's no downside. If a team is terrible and continues to miss out on high draft picks because they can't seem to get better then it would just accelerate the process of them firing their management group which is clearly not doing a good enough job.

And one final point. Basically, teams would have to change the way they think. It's far too prevailing a belief in sports right now that the model for rebuilding is to get worse to get better. This would change the way that everyone thinks in that regard. Now the thought would be "we need to get better to get better," which is the logical direction to go.
    Last edited by metaldude26; December 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM.

Dobber Sports Ace

You also should consider that a teams placement isn't an indication of how they're playing at that time. Most recent example of course being LA last year. Columbus was rolling at the end of last year as well. Great idea.
    F: P. Kane, Oshie, N. Foligno, Thorton, Coyle, Marleau, Pavelski, Dubinsky
    Steen
    D: seabrooke, Subban,wizniewski,garrison, Carle
    G: Niemi, Fleury,

G/A-1 pt PIM- .25pts
    Win-2pts Shutouts- 5pts(2+3)
    Keep 10. Top 13 count (4 d, 1 g, 6 Frwd and next highest-any position)

Dobber Sports Padawan

right but my point is that if there's a team that is so bad that they simply can't win hockey games, the system has to provide them with the ability to improve. a draft tourney would punish a team like that and at the very worst, result in the loss of the franchise altogether down the road due to a fan base with nothing to cheer for
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

Administrator

right but my point is that if there's a team that is so bad that they simply can't win hockey games, the system has to provide them with the ability to improve. a draft tourney would punish a team like that and at the very worst, result in the loss of the franchise altogether down the road due to a fan base with nothing to cheer for
    You are falling into the same trap that causes all these teams to tank in the first place, which is the assumption that they can't get better on their own and can only do so by getting the best pick in the draft. What this ignores is that draft position matters less in the NHL than in any sport except baseball. Sure the first overall selection almost always guarantees you a quality NHL player but it doesn't guarantee you the best player and it doesn't guarantee you success in the future. So instead of a team turning itself around by trying to get competitive sooner than later the team will mortgage it's ability to compete now so that it can build for some far off fairytale future where it will compete when the reality is that if they were capable of scouting and developing talent well that they'd be producing quality NHL players regardless of their draft position.

Simply put if you eliminate the incentive for teams to tank and go for higher draft picks then you eliminate that sort of thinking. You wouldn't kill the ability of teams to fail but you'd create greater accountability and you'd quell any urge to engage in tanking. So yes there is a chance that you'd cost yourself a franchise or two that simply cannot get the right management team in place to build a half decent team without the benefit of top picks but you must realize how pathetic that franchise would have to be and how maybe that franchise shouldn't be owned by its owner if he really sucks that much at picking managers.

Also, and this is an entirely different topic but if a team cannot survive because it continues to fail well odds are that's going to happen regardless of getting first overall selections or not and more to the point those teams would seemingly be in locals where hockey may not be able to survive long term regardless of the team's ability to put a winner on the ice. So the point of a lottery shouldn't be, "let's rescue these terribly run franchises," it is supposed to be, "let's prevent teams from intentionally sucking." No amount of lottery seems to quell that instinct to suck intentionally so we need new thinking and a new set of incentives. If a team under a new set of incentives really can't get themselves to compete for even a year or two, even if it's just to compete enough to earn a higher pick then my goodness that team must be dreadful. As of yet there hasn't been a franchise to achieve that level of absolute failure so I personally think that if you are using that as an excuse to poo-poo the "draft pick tournament" then I think you are building yourself quite the straw man.