Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Canada keeps playing dirty hockey

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    So I guess you guys saying that they're not playing dirty and whatnot have no problem at all with players getting hit into the stoneage and their careers shortened by several years on average. Guys should follow through on their hits, damn it! You're part of the problem, not the solution, especially when it comes to the concussion epidemic.
    It's Stone Age (two words), not stoneage. No one wants to police the Grammar Police, but since this community is about giving back, I'll help you out with that one.

In regards to your post, I don't think anyone wants to see concussions. People are just debating the line of physical play, which will be forever grey. No matter what two teams are playing, a player will cross the line at some point in the game, especially younger players participating in an intense tournament like the WJC.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    This statement contradicts itself....

We can try and justify it all we want......Camara was trying to hurt him and nothing else.

Sorry Hybrid, but you have proven how pointless this conversation is.

Your position is that Camara's only intent was to injure the other player?

Not only are you ignoring the fact that the hit was clean, that hockey is a contact sport and that you are taught from Pewee to keep your head up and finish your checks, but you "know" that Camara's only thought was to inflict bodily harm.

At least Dakkster is approaching the debate from an "eliminate concussions at all costs" position, which is unrealistic in a contact sport but noble in its nature.

Hybrid, my friend, you have jumped the shark with this one.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Chuk View Post
    Not only are you ignoring the fact that the hit was clean, that hockey is a contact sport and that you are taught from Pewee to keep your head up and finish your checks, but you "know" that Camara's only thought was to inflict bodily harm.
    He recieved a major penalty and a game misconduct, you jump to the conclusion that refs made the wrong call. I saw an injury from the result of a intentional collision that was malicious, IMO.

I agree that I did jump the gun declaring that I knew Camara was trying to hurt him. It was a bad choice of words on my part.

I believe Camara was trying to hit him as hard as he possibly could in that situation. Even though the player was vulnerable. I would go so far as to 'believe IMO' that Camara acted almost predatory with the hit because it was a hit of opportunity due to the spot the player was in.

Yes, I go further than most with hits to the head. I don't enjoy seeing an 18 year old kid ( or 19 or 17....I don't know how old he is) knocked silly on the ice like some people seem to. Players will ALL eventually end up in a bad situation, like the Slovak player was, sooner or later....that is part of the game, The correction has to come from the player that initiates the contact......because with hockey, you will eventually end up in that situation.

If you think that player wasn't taught to keep his head up while he waslaying hockey for the past 15 years or so, you disrespect Slovak hockey programs.

Its an arguement that is all about opinion. I used to love open ice hits as much as anyone. But a few years ago it seemed players careers started being shortened, guys missed long periods of time with head related injuries....I want to see players play, I don't watch hockey, anymore, for the really big hit.

And I agree, the conversation seems to have gone wrong. Sorry Chuk, it was an opinion, as poorly worded as it may have been.

Cheers
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Pro

All good, I thought it was an odd choice of words, but we all do it. I am sure I have done much worse on these boards.

No one wants to see players injured, but I also do not want to see hits, especially the big hits, vanish from hockey. I am not disrespecting anyone, but if your head is down, you can not see what is coming and therefore can not react.

What I try to do is look at the play, put the onus on the guy throwing the hit, and say, what could he have done differently? In the other examples from this thread, one was a late hit, the other got his arm up and pushed the head into the boards.

On this hit, I am not sure Camara could have done anything different. I do not want him to not play the body, because I want that to remain in the game. I also think that the injury to his face was caused by the lip of the shield and the primary blow to the head was from the ice. Both unfortunate but not through any fault of Camara.

The fact that the penalty came well after the play, did not help with the credibility or decisiveness of the refs.

At least we all have hockey to watch. Let's all appreciate that fact and enjoy the rest of the tournament.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    It's Stone Age (two words), not stoneage. No one wants to police the Grammar Police, but since this community is about giving back, I'll help you out with that one.

Cheers.
    Now THAT is the most entertaining comment in this whole thread!!!

Maybe the problem here is that the Canadians expect players to be ready for their style of play (why wouldn't they...it's all they've ever known) and the Europeans simply aren't used to protecting themselves against such an aggressive style (I'm sure the coaches try to prepare those who haven't played over here but old habits die hard). Is this the fault of the Canadian players?

I love the hard hitting hockey that Canadian players have been bringing since the inception of the sport and dread the idea of the games pussification that's being suggested by some around here. My gut tells me that many of these incidents wouldn't have occurred in the CHL because the players wouldn't have left themselves so vulnerable. Keep yer head up kids!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Chuk View Post
    All good, I thought it was an odd choice of words, but we all do it. I am sure I have done much worse on these boards.

No one wants to see players injured, but I also do not want to see hits, especially the big hits, vanish from hockey. I am not disrespecting anyone, but if your head is down, you can not see what is coming and therefore can not react.

What I try to do is look at the play, put the onus on the guy throwing the hit, and say, what could he have done differently? In the other examples from this thread, one was a late hit, the other got his arm up and pushed the head into the boards.

On this hit, I am not sure Camara could have done anything different. I do not want him to not play the body, because I want that to remain in the game. I also think that the injury to his face was caused by the lip of the shield and the primary blow to the head was from the ice. Both unfortunate but not through any fault of Camara.

The fact that the penalty came well after the play, did not help with the credibility or decisiveness of the refs.

At least we all have hockey to watch. Let's all appreciate that fact and enjoy the rest of the tournament.
    I think it was Camara's shoulder in the face shield, Chuk. The Slovak player appears to have brought his head up to meet the shoulder.
    Last edited by Shoeless; December 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM.

Dobber Sports Pro

Remember when Ovechkin rocked Jagr? That was a great hit too.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BBHeTZn-qcw

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Don't hit him I guess. Dude's got his head down, maybe you just have to strip guys on those plays now.

This is when you throw the hip check. Nice, clean, flashy, deadly, but doesn't potentially threaten anyone's career.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

Canadian hockey is like Alexander Keiths beer. Those who like it, like it a lot!
    Keith's is mass produced swill.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    This is when you throw the hip check. Nice, clean, flashy, deadly, but doesn't potentially threaten anyone's career.
    I thought of that but it seems the hipper is a dying art. I think Kronwall's the only guy who throws them nowadays.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I think it was Camara's shoulder in the face shield, Chuk. The Slovak player appears to have brought his head up to meet the shoulder.
    You are right Shoeless.

First off, I hope Luza is OK. He just lost the puck and was turning his head right to left and up into the oncoming player. Second, I believe that none of these young players wants to injure any other player in the tournament.

The camera does not lie. There was contact to the face sheild and head, so by the letter of the law Camara could be given a penalty. But hockey is not black and white. I would like to believe that the spirit of the law would disagree in this case.

The reffing goes against me, well sort of, as a penalty was eventually called. I would just suggest that it was a "oh oh we better call something" as opposed to a "you dirty bastard".

I still believe that the hit was clean .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV9V3TMGGQE

All I ask is that you set up the video, put on headsets and listen to the first 5 seconds with the volume turned up.

For anyone who has ever been on either end of a full out, two bodies completely colliding, OMG.. I can't breathe hit, this is what it sounds like. No contact with the boards..... Cruise in, skates on the ice, arm tucked, shoulder right into the chest...

Is there a hockey player on any team that does not make that hit?

Everyone enjoy the rest of the games, CAN vs USA today, very excited. I will hope for entertaining, injury free hockey for all teams. May the best team win. Love the WJHC. (And a teaser for Sochi.)

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I thought of that but it seems the hipper is a dying art. I think Kronwall's the only guy who throws them nowadays.
    Ballard throws them too... when not being benched by the Canucks for making the same bone-headed plays that got Ehrhoff a massive deal in Buffalo.

The world needs more hip checks.
    http://youtu.be/FZXWgDu328Y
    Last edited by Loch; December 30, 2012 at 7:57 PM.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Pro

If these players werent wearing armour for pads, then maybe these injuries wouldnt be so bad. The slovak on the Camara hit was just begging to be hit anyways. This isnt a game for 5 yr olds. Camara's shoulder stayed on the same plane throughout the hit. Why cant people blame the naive and reckless players handling the puck once in a while? If that hit isnt acceptable, lets have non-contact hockey.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
    If these players werent wearing armour for pads, then maybe these injuries wouldnt be so bad. The slovak on the Camara hit was just begging to be hit anyways. This isnt a game for 5 yr olds. Camara's shoulder stayed on the same plane throughout the hit. Why cant people blame the naive and reckless players handling the puck once in a while? If that hit isnt acceptable, lets have non-contact hockey.
    Non-contact hockey is not as bad as people might want you to think (though technically there is no such thing as there is always contact - like basketball in that sense). Certainly a totally different game though.

Dobber Sports Legend

The Camara hit was a great hit. Nothing wrong with it. Unfortunately the Slovakian kid was injured but the hit itself was textbook.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka