Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Canada keeps playing dirty hockey

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Canada keeps playing dirty hockey

Yakupov and the rest of the non-Canadian hockey world was obviously right. Canada plays dirty hockey, obviously going for injuries all the time. This has become more than just a small pattern, it's their default mode of play.

First Jenner on Pettersson in the warmup games http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwuPLjCU4W8

Today it's Camara on Luza http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV9V3TMGGQE
    And Lipon on Mikus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTtT1cCzBJo

This tournament has hardly even started and Canada is playing dirtier than ever. I wonder how many Canadians will defend this pathetic behavior.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's fun being the best.

Dobber Sports Deity

I will quote what I said in another thread on the forums. It pretty much sums up a reply to your post.

"Seriously, did you watch the game or just the highlights? Lipons game misconduct was a hit to the head, but the same guy he hits comes out and scores on the 5 min PP so he really wasn't hurt too bad. Camara's hit was clean, the kid got rocked with his head down looking for the puck. They based the penalty on the injury, not on the hit. I am not sure what reckless hits you think were happening out there but most of the ones I saw were good solid hockey hits. Lipons was a penalty because of the hit to the head but in no way should have been a 5 min and game misconduct.

The only thing Canada had to be embarressed about today was their slow start. The first period was a brutal display of Canadian hockey."
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I will quote what I said in another thread on the forums. It pretty much sums up a reply to your post.

"Seriously, did you watch the game or just the highlights? Lipons game misconduct was a hit to the head, but the same guy he hits comes out and scores on the 5 min PP so he really wasn't hurt too bad. Camara's hit was clean, the kid got rocked with his head down looking for the puck. They based the penalty on the injury, not on the hit. I am not sure what reckless hits you think were happening out there but most of the ones I saw were good solid hockey hits. Lipons was a penalty because of the hit to the head but in no way should have been a 5 min and game misconduct.

The only thing Canada had to be embarressed about today was their slow start. The first period was a brutal display of Canadian hockey."
    It doesn't matter if Mikus returned or not. It was a hit to the head. That gets Lipon thrown out, no questions asked. You don't go for the head. Lipon went for the head. Simple. Indefensible.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Pro

Looked like the elbow was up on the Lipon hit. In the Camara hit, the biggest contributing factor was Luza with his head down.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Guru

Jenner's was defintiely late but not an overly dirty hit. Camara's was clean as far as Im concerned ..... the kid had his head down looking for the puck in his skates. The Lipon hit was a blatant elbow/forearm to the head and is the only one of the 3 that I would describe as remotely dirty.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    Jenner's was defintiely late but not an overly dirty hit. Camara's was clean as far as Im concerned ..... the kid had his head down looking for the puck in his skates. The Lipon hit was a blatant elbow/forearm to the head and is the only one of the 3 that I would describe as remotely dirty.
    I agree with you on Camara's and Lipon's. But Jenner's was indeed a late hit and I really don't think there's any room in hockey for that stuff if they want to reduce the incidence of injuries/concussions.

Just my $0.02, though.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    I agree with you on Camara's and Lipon's. But Jenner's was indeed a late hit and I really don't think there's any room in hockey for that stuff if they want to reduce the incidence of injuries/concussions.

Just my $0.02, though.
    Oh I agree completely very late and not necessary but the actual hit itself wasnt anything dirty (ie elbows high, from behind), I wasn't absolving him of blame but in re-reading my post it sounded like I was.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    It doesn't matter if Mikus returned or not. It was a hit to the head. That gets Lipon thrown out, no questions asked. You don't go for the head. Lipon went for the head. Simple. Indefensible.
    It was a hit to the head, cant argue with that, but to say "Canada keeps playing dirty hockey" as your title indicates is just weak on your part.

No comment on the Camara hit though eh? Don't blame ya. You wont find many (other then yourself obviously) who considered that a dirty hockey play. Good clean hit on a guy with his head down playing the puck.

To me, it sounds like you are simply bored and looking to stir up an argument.
    Last edited by Axeman33; December 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

And for the record, a hit to the head doesn't get you thrown out automatically. It's the discretion of the official.

IIHF Checking to the head and neck Area rule 540 states, "A player who directs a check or blow, with any part of his body, to the head and neck area of an opposing player or 'drives' or 'forces' the head of an opposing player into the protective glass or boards, shall be assessed at the discretion of the referee, a minor and a misconduct penalty; a major and game misconduct penalty; or a match penalty. When injury occurs, a match penalty must be assessed.

He could have assessed a minor and a misconduct. He wouldnt get ejected from the game if that is what he would have received from the ref. Instead, he received a major and a game misconduct. This got him ejected from the game and the possibility of facing further disciplinary action from the IIHF.

So to say a hit to the head gets you thrown out, no questions asked, is a false statment.

I...am your father.

Yakupov and the rest of the non-Canadian hockey world was obviously right. Canada plays dirty hockey, obviously going for injuries all the time. This has become more than just a small pattern, it's their default mode of play.

First Jenner on Pettersson in the warmup games http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwuPLjCU4W8

This tournament has hardly even started and Canada is playing dirtier than ever. I wonder how many Canadians will defend this pathetic behavior.

Dakk - I actually agree with you. But they were punished accordingly. In fact, if Canada keeps this stuff up, they'll lose the tournament. They are shorthanded far too much.

I think if I'm a fan of another country (i.e. Sweden), I would be hoping for continued dirty play from Canada. Because the Canadians aren't getting away with a single thing. In fact, one of the questionable hits that got five and a game today was probably legal...so the refs are erring on the side of caution
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Dakk - I actually agree with you. But they were punished accordingly. In fact, if Canada keeps this stuff up, they'll lose the tournament. They are shorthanded far too much.

I think if I'm a fan of another country (i.e. Sweden), I would be hoping for continued dirty play from Canada. Because the Canadians aren't getting away with a single thing. In fact, one of the questionable hits that got five and a game today was probably legal...so the refs are erring on the side of caution
    I agree with you Dobber that the penalties are hurting them and to keep playing shorthanded will be the death of them but to call the majority of their penalties as "dirty" is simply not true.

Heavily penalized yes, but dirty? Come on.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

bold = irrelevant. lipon's hit was dirty, camara's wasn't.

canada doesn't play a dirty game, they are just much more physical than many of the euro teams. every team has dirty players, i was watching some highlights and i saw a knee on knee from the slovaks, only saw it briefly so it could have been accidental but it still looked pretty bad at first glance.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    bold = irrelevant. lipon's hit was dirty, camara's wasn't.

canada doesn't play a dirty game, they are just much more physical than many of the euro teams.
    For the call on the ice, I agree it is irrelevant. It may be relevant when the IIHF looks at the call to see if there's any further disciplinary required.

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't know about some of these.
    1. I think Camara's hit was clean. Sure he had his head down, but it was clearly a hockey play and the kid put himself in a bad position by not having his head up. I don't think there was any intent of injury on this, nor anything wrong or "dirty" with this hit.
    2. Lipon's definitely made contact with the head (forearm or so) and should definitely have been a penalty. Do I think it was dirty? Not remotely even close to being dirty. Was there intent to injure? No way. 2 minute minor should've been the call. From the video that you posted, I would even argue that the injury was more likely a dive (again, I'm going by the view from the video that was posted).

In short, I think it is totally out of line to call either of those hits "dirty."