Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest NHL offer

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Clearly you are not familiar with the NHL Lock-out definition of 'deadline'.
    Apparently, it is more fluid than I had first presumed.
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

The deadline is when money can no longer be made.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Remember when people were saying 'Once the HRR issues are settled, everything will fall into place in no time'?

Can't believe I believed that. Oh well...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post
    Remember when people were saying 'Once the HRR issues are settled, everything will fall into place in no time'?

Can't believe I believed that. Oh well...
    What most of us missed is that both leaders are stubborn and don't mind scorched earth just to get a better-looking deal on paper. Both sides completely overlook the damage being done to both the amount of money the league will be able to generate post-lockout and the league's growth potential long-term.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    What most of us missed is that both leaders are stubborn and don't mind scorched earth just to get a better-looking deal on paper. Both sides completely overlook the damage being done to both the amount of money the league will be able to generate post-lockout and the league's growth potential long-term.
    Yeah, for sure.

They live on a different planet. I know the Bell Centre here is going to be packed as if there was no lockout but I'm curious to see how much effect the lockout will have on the Southern markets. How many free seats will have to be given in order to show some respectable attendance numbers?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Here's a pretty good article to what it boils down to right now.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post
    Yeah, for sure.

They live on a different planet. I know the Bell Centre here is going to be packed as if there was no lockout but I'm curious to see how much effect the lockout will have on the Southern markets. How many free seats will have to be given in order to show some respectable attendance numbers?
    They already give a ton of seats away in several places. Check out local streams for those teams. Six tickets, six hot dogs and six soft drinks for $50. Or something like that, but you get the idea.

Dobber Sports Pro

They already give a ton of seats away in several places. Check out local streams for those teams. Six tickets, six hot dogs and six soft drinks for $50. Or something like that, but you get the idea.
    It's going to be crazy.

How much would that cost in Montreal?

75$ a ticket (which is pretty cheap)
    6$ a hot-dog
    6$ a drink

= 522$

Jeez! Can't imagine what it would be in Toronto!

Dobber Sports Master

That is what rinks should be able to charge. Its a friggin professional sport where the players are getting paid millions. The fact that you can get those kind of deals offered means people dont care about the sport in that town.

Imagine paying Shane Doan $5.3 million a year, but you can only get your fans to pay $20 a ticket and your total gate income is $22m. Its quite ridiculous really.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by grindin griers View Post
    Here's a pretty good article to what it boils down to right now.
    My fav comment under the article:

Two brothers have to split 101 M&M's between the two of them and are arguing over the last one. Their mom says that if they can't agree who gets to have it then she will take ALL the M&M's away and no one will get any.

Most of the time, by the age of 6, kids will figure out that 50 M&M's are better than 0 M&M's. I see the logic doesn't translate...

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I disagree - and i am venturing into dangerous territory here.

First, i should declare i am a massive hockey fan, and want the lockout to end. That said, i have enjoyed the negotiations, and think that both fehr and bettman have performed very well for their respective sides.

In my opinion, the NHL game plan all along was to lose half a season, and in return get a massive windfall for the owners. Bettman is merely executing his plan - het has his share of M&M's, and he knows there is no risk in losing them all. At this point, he is going after the last few, and will start the season as planned. Any setback in terms of fans, or business growth will return within a few years, meanwhile, the owners have a favourable economic system that will likely stay in place for a very very long time. The gains the nhl has made this year translates into billions when you multiply by 20 or 30 years.

For fehr, he has battled hard, and likely saved the players millions versus what they may have lost under previous leadership. But at this point, why would fehr settle now when bettman has come back with a little more 3 or 4 times in a row. He will push until he thinks time is up, and then push one more time.

These guys are both excellent business men (as much as bettman drives me nuts) and shrewd negotiators. They are much smarter than to fight over 1 M&M only to lose the previous 50.

I think we still have at least a few weeks left - but i am sure there will be a season

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smyl View Post
    In my opinion, the NHL game plan all along was to lose half a season, and in return get a massive windfall for the owners. Bettman is merely executing his plan - het has his share of M&M's, and he knows there is no risk in losing them all. At this point, he is going after the last few, and will start the season as planned. Any setback in terms of fans, or business growth will return within a few years, meanwhile, the owners have a favourable economic system that will likely stay in place for a very very long time. The gains the nhl has made this year translates into billions when you multiply by 20 or 30 years.
    What about the immediate loss of revenue (some fans will disappear) and the loss of growth potential? Sure, maybe the fans return in numbers within a few years, but if they didn't do their stunt now maybe that number can be 10-20% higher than it is today. The reason why they are sitting out is because the lockout is a lateral move financially at worse for most owners and saving some money would help make those teams profitable.

For fehr, he has battled hard, and likely saved the players millions versus what they may have lost under previous leadership. But at this point, why would fehr settle now when bettman has come back with a little more 3 or 4 times in a row. He will push until he thinks time is up, and then push one more time.

These guys are both excellent business men (as much as bettman drives me nuts) and shrewd negotiators. They are much smarter than to fight over 1 M&M only to lose the previous 50.

I think we still have at least a few weeks left - but i am sure there will be a season
    Fehr won $89 million in make whole at the cost of over $600 million in actual salaries lost to the lockout. Longer contracts, better pension and the 2013-14 salary cap do not make up for that difference. So how exactly is he doing a good job?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Fehr won $89 million in make whole at the cost of over $600 million in actual salaries lost to the lockout. Longer contracts, better pension and the 2013-14 salary cap do not make up for that difference. So how exactly is he doing a good job?
    If you expected nothing less than losing half a season in order to get the best possible deal then yes, he has done well.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Its a math equation that gets better and better in time. Do you think the owners would really do this and come out worse off? No way. Bettman has buy in from them based on losing half a year, and giving them back billions.

On the players side, the flaw is in the design of the union. Its built to protect all members, but the negotiation protects the wealthiest. That said, i think the players might justify their loss by pointing at the $300 million in its entirety, not just the $89 mil portion. Its probably impossible to justify all of their salary loss, but i think they will evaluate fehr highly for getting what he has got so far. Where would the players be if they accepted the nhls first offer in july?

I find it fascinating that for as ugly as this has got, i think both leaders will be privately praised by their bosses.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smyl View Post
    I find it fascinating that for as ugly as this has got, i think both leaders will be privately praised by their bosses.
    I guess being millionaires has its own aroma. Peaches?
    TEAM 1
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H, G, A, PPP, SOG, FOW, HITS, BLKS, PIM, GWG, ShG, W, SHO, GA, SV, ShL, OL
    3-6C, 3-6W, 6D, 8B, 2G, 20 farm, 3IR

C - Crosby-McDavid-Giroux-Kadri
    W - Ovechkin-Marchand-Lehkonen-Wheeler-E.Kane-Landeskog
    D - Jones-Schenn-Stone-Lindholm-Moser-Whitecloud
    G - Hellebuyck-Lindgren-Martin-Stalock

Full Keeper