Thread: Pacioretty for Brown? Sideways move, or good?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Pacioretty for Brown? Sideways move, or good?

I have Max Pac... Would you think Dustin Brown is an improvement worth pursuing in my league? Their Yahoo ranks are similar. The loss of points would likely be greatly offset by hits, but would I lose too much in anything else? I'm okay in the hits dept, but wouldn't want to give many points or ppp away, even with the significant hits improvement.
    I think the answer is definitely pursue him, based on what my gut says, plus Gates'/Dobbers' monthly rankings PDF rates Brown in the top 10.

Thoughts?

Fantrax 18-Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G), 25/30
    Unlimited call-ups = 134 gms
    G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, W, GAA, S, SV%

C: Stamkos, Stepan, Little, T.J.
    W: Kessel, MaGranlund, Simmonds, Landeskog, Hall, Lucic, B.Ritchie, Burakovsky
    D: Gogo, Keith, Leddy, Dumba, Barrie, Forbert,
    G: Rask/Anderson/Mason
    B: Filppula/Hartman/Vrbata/Clendening

Farm: Chartier, Forsbacka Karlsson, Bowers, Chmelevski, Geekie, Gourde, AMorand, MShaw, Haapala, Merkley, Katchouk, Korshkov, Kovacs, Shinkaruk, Lindblom, O'Regan, Bear, Bengtsson, Jokiharju, Kylington, Paigin, Grzelcyk, Stanley, Vaakanainen, Koekkoek, Walman, Fitzpatrick, Berube, Pickard, Zhukov

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BradyJets View Post
    I have Max Pac... Would you think Dustin Brown is an improvement worth pursuing in my league? Their Yahoo ranks are similar. The loss of points would likely be greatly offset by hits, but would I lose too much in anything else? I'm okay in the hits dept, but wouldn't want to give many points or ppp away, even with the significant hits improvement.
    I think the answer is definitely pursue him, based on what my gut says, plus Gates'/Dobbers' monthly rankings PDF rates Brown in the top 10.

Thoughts?
    Unless you need the bump in Hits, I'd hold onto Max Pac. I think his point upside is higher than Browns.

Unless you think you can flip someone (Brown) for an improved forward, then I'm not sure I'd be looking to make a deal that doesn't improve your team.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Star

Max Pac for me. Besides if he starts to hit like the one he laid on Chara, he'll help in that department as well. Oh wait, it only counts when you deliver the hits? Either way, Max Pac for me

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Thomas
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg, Hyman(L/R)
    R-Svechnikov(L/R) Konecny(L/R) P. Kane, Zucc
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi, McAvoy, Montour
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill, Grubauer
    IR
    -Demko

The Wolverine

Hits tend to be found more easily on FA so if you are already strong there then the additional hits by Brown wouldn't have as much as an effect on the standings then potentially the additional offense by Pacioretty could provide. Of course it depends how one projects both players going forward, but give me the guy who should give you a greater offensive boost. Where did you finish in the relevant categories last season? And how close to your nearest competition/leaders?

By the way, be careful in using other rankings to evaluate players as they do not consider your team situation fully (or even at all). So, even though one may project to be higher based on their own formula(s), it doesn't mean the player is more suitable to your team.
    Last edited by horrorfan; December 27, 2012 at 8:45 AM.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by BradyJets View Post

Thoughts?
    Toews, Kopitar
    W: Lucic, Pacioretty, E. Kane, Landeskog
    F: Granlund, Stepan
    D: Doughty, Faulk, Beauchemin, Stuart, Elliott
    Util: Hanzal, B. Boyle
    Bench: Hodgson, Dubinsky, M. Foligno, B. Schenn

I think you have enough players who are capable of elevating your totals in the Hits category. Max Patch will most certainly deliver in the other CATS plus he will outpoint Brown every year. Max was 10th in SOG last year.
    I would keep what you have for now.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Genius

Even in leagues that count hits blocks and PIMs it's always the scoring categories that provide the best return so I'd keep what you have. Your team looks fine for hits and its just one category. Patches should easily out point Brown so that will boost multiple categories in G,A,PPP,SOG.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Like Call of Doughty excellently illustrated, your team has sufficient guys who can help you in hits.

If you're in win-now mode, I have a contraversial trade idea. Move Grandlund for Brown. As great a prospect as he is, and as well as I can see him doing in Minnesota, I don't see him as being as valuable an option as Brown for at least 2 more seasons while he gets his feet wet. Again, this is based on a win-now mentality, so if you're not a contender, then dont bother.
    ***Non-Descriptive Thread Titles Killed My Wife and Ate My Children***

10 Team Roto Keeper League (G,A,PPP,SHP,GWG,+/-,PIM, SOG // W,SAVES,GAA,SV%,SO)
    Full Keeper w/ Salary Cap [4C/4LW/4RW/6D/2G/5B, 82 gp per roster spot]

C: Crosby, Getzlaf, Ribeiro, Hodgson
    LW: Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Eriksson, Van Riemsdyk, Whitney
    RW: Gaborik, Stewart, Read, Selanne, Alfredsson
    D: Pietrangelo, Yandle, Edler, Wisniewski, E. Johnson, Whitney, Bieksa, Gardiner
    G: Lundqvist, Bryzgalov, Schneider

Minor League:
    Yakupov, Silfverberg, Bjugstad, Stone, Atkinson, J. Morrow, Palmieri, B. Smith, J. Bernier

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks everyone for your input and advice!
    @arctic_rouge> I'm not sure if I could flip Brown for anything more than I'd get with MaxPac, good point.
    the higher points upside will likely be better for me.

@islefan31> yes, I think it only counts when you deliver hits, although there should be a new category for hits received!

@horrorfan> I led the league in hits last year, by enough of a margin I probably don't NEED Brown, but I sure do like multi-cat guys. We're in a Keep 10 league, so there's some potential for negative turnover. Good point on looking at others' projections...still seems a little high that Brown was rated in the top 10 on GMG Gates' rankings, but I guess the ridiculously high hits totals put him up there.

@Call of doughty and @hockeymanG23 > good points, thanks.

@the_walrus> I would LOVE to move Granlund for Brown...but I think my league seems to be hesitant to acquire him with the lockout on, unfortunately. I'm defending champ with a good core returning, so I'm in win-now mode...I will cross my fingers for the lockout to end and Granlund to light it up!....oh, and I'm glad I put a descriptive title!

Fantrax 18-Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G), 25/30
    Unlimited call-ups = 134 gms
    G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, W, GAA, S, SV%

C: Stamkos, Stepan, Little, T.J.
    W: Kessel, MaGranlund, Simmonds, Landeskog, Hall, Lucic, B.Ritchie, Burakovsky
    D: Gogo, Keith, Leddy, Dumba, Barrie, Forbert,
    G: Rask/Anderson/Mason
    B: Filppula/Hartman/Vrbata/Clendening

Farm: Chartier, Forsbacka Karlsson, Bowers, Chmelevski, Geekie, Gourde, AMorand, MShaw, Haapala, Merkley, Katchouk, Korshkov, Kovacs, Shinkaruk, Lindblom, O'Regan, Bear, Bengtsson, Jokiharju, Kylington, Paigin, Grzelcyk, Stanley, Vaakanainen, Koekkoek, Walman, Fitzpatrick, Berube, Pickard, Zhukov