Thread: The Next Big PIM guy in NHL

Dobber Sports Icon

Default The Next Big PIM guy in NHL

i know theres always been a debate as to whether one should add PIMs as a catagory in leagues but nonetheless there are some that do.
    Ofcourse in some huge deep leagues teams can afford to use a spot for such one cat players.
    Ofcourse right now id prefer a Zach Rinaldo to a Zenon Konopka because he adds hits to his repitoire. This is the type of PIMs Im talking about though.
    Thus Im looking for the next one. Either one Cat(PIM) or 2(PIMs & hits). The sooner ETA the better. Might be in the AHL or other? Might it be a guy who got a bit of a taste last season? Who has the best legit chance to make it?

Ofcourse there is the obvious ones down the road Dylan McIlrath, Jacob Trouba & tom Wilson etc. And while i like these types I also like the ones who are closer And under the radar like Bradley Malone(though there loaded in colorado and cody Mcloud isnt going anywhere)

Love to hear your thoughts....

Guess we won't see guys like Joel Rechlicz or Brett Gallant in the NHL for more then a cup of tea....will we? Will Dane Byers ever stick? Maybe a return of Andre Deveaux?
    Frazer McLaren
    Matt Pelech
    Mitchell Heard
    Last edited by sparrowtrini; December 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM.

Administrator

Ben Holmstrom
    Brad Malone
    Tim Sestito
    Mark Borowiecki
    Radko Gudas

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Ben Holmstrom
    Brad Malone
    Tim Sestito
    Mark Borowiecki
    Radko Gudas
    Nice suggestions. Thanks Eric.

Dobber Sports Padawan

A guy who I like for PIMs is Michael Latta (NAS), hes got 83 in 28 gp in the AHL this year, along with 17 pts.. he also might have some (albeit limited) offensive upside, which is a bonus.
    Dynasty - $100/yr buy-in - YEAR 8 - $100M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C - Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf
    LW - Pavelski, Domi
    RW - Seguin, Perry
    D - Letang, OEL, Carlson, Hamilton, J. Schultz
    Util - M. Koivu, Aho, Spooner, Atkinson
    G - Rask, Quick

BENCH
    Brassard, Bjugstad, Jagr, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Buchnevich, Ekblad, Beaulieu, Severson, Lundqvist
    PROSPECT
    Puljujarvi, Boeser, Barzal, Dal Colle, Fiala, Sergachev, Lindell

FOUR TIME DEFENDING CHAMPION

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Fush View Post
    A guy who I like for PIMs is Michael Latta (NAS), hes got 83 in 28 gp in the AHL this year, along with 17 pts.. he also might have some (albeit limited) offensive upside, which is a bonus.
    Even a guys who can put up 30 pts with massive PIMs is fantastic for multi-cat fantasy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

John Scott, Sabres. Yeah, yeah I know...homer pick. But if you're looking for pure PIMs Scott's your man. He'll get more TOI than projected, and you know damn well hell be the body guard for Miller, Ennis, Gerbe and the like. Hell, put him on a line with Ott, and lord only knows...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Icon

All interesting guys. Im really looking for a guy who'll play a little more regular.
    Upwards of 60-65GP atleast.

Do you think John Scott finally gets there Boom? Plays more regular? He certainly has the potential to get big PIMs. and being a defenceman is bonus.

Im finding it hard to believe he can though as the sabres have alot of competition:

DEFENSE

33 T.J. Brennan
    10 Christian Ehrhoff
    4 Joe Finley
    3 Jordan Leopold
    81 Brayden McNabb
    57 Tyler Myers
    -- Adam Pardy
    24 Robyn Regehr
    -- John Scott
    44 Andrej Sekera
    52 Alexander Sulzer
    6 Mike Weber

I already have Malone. He and Latta look very ingtriguing as both hits/PIM guys
    Last edited by sparrowtrini; December 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM.

Administrator

Another to keep an eye on is Matt Kassian. He signed a one way deal with the Wild but offers next to nothing offensively. I don't recommend adding him because I prefer guys that offer more than just fighting but if he lands a regular spot he might be just good enough.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Another to keep an eye on is Matt Kassian. He signed a one way deal with the Wild but offers next to nothing offensively. I don't recommend adding him because I prefer guys that offer more than just fighting but if he lands a regular spot he might be just good enough.
    Was thinking of him but the addition of Konopka kindve makes it tough

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    Was thinking of him but the addition of Konopka kindve makes it tough
    Agreed. Kassian could always be waived and demoted. Things looked good for him and then they signed everyone and their cat to contracts this summer.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like the Borowiecki and Gudas mentions... Big mean defence...

Colten Teubert also fits the bill and is very close... With a good point outlook too...

Kyle Beach has a piss-poor attitude, bad for his chances, but good cause he pisses opponents off to the point they challenge him to fights, roughings or other crap....

Andrew Shaw, again hawks likely use him on a lower 2 line, he can produce, and like to get 'involved'

Max Goncharov, Nasty russian to play against and he'll put up good PIM counts at times...

Alex Petrovic surprises me that he is getting so many PIMS and he has PPQB writen all over him, Ceiling of 40-50 points from a D man with PIMS

Sena Acolatse anouther nasty D man coming....

Joakim Andersson, seen him play latley for Grand Rapids... detroit likes him and all game he was getting into something with someone...

Rich Panik, gritty winger that is likely gonna make it as a top 2 line forward....

Kevin Connauton, mainly a powerplay D man, who is getting very close to the NHL... He has defencive and skating issues that make him take hooking, tripping and holding penalties quite often...

Brendan Gallagher, scorer that will likely jaw his way into over 100 PIMs/year

Nick Petrecki anouther big mean customer coming in San Jose to be a minute munching D and stand up for teammates

Keith Aulie, Nasty Attitude on the ice...

Daniel Catenacci, likes to get yappy and involved in extra cirriculars... likely a reason he isnt on team canada

Duncan Siemens, love the D in this catigory lol

Kale Kessy, Travis Ewanyuk...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Guru

Chicago has three excellent potential PIM guys: Kyle Beach, Andrew Shaw and Brandon Bollig.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Pro

I've always found it difficult to draft this type of player as prospects as quite often they take slightly longer to become an NHL regular. I prefer the strategy of drafting talent and trade for needs as much as possible. PIM has become a more rare commodity.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
    I've always found it difficult to draft this type of player as prospects as quite often they take slightly longer to become an NHL regular. I prefer the strategy of drafting talent and trade for needs as much as possible. PIM has become a more rare commodity.
    Like you I draft for talent and depended on my PIMs mainly to come from my D mostly minute munchers that take several minor infractions...

My lg switched from PIMs to Blocked Shots... so I haven't looked at PIMs in a while.. But my drafting startegy remained unchanged, most BLK come form the D and I look for Minute munching D to provide them and then trade or pick up free agents to fill gaps as needed...

I did draft Perry who is talent with PIMs, and I drafted Carcillo expecting more upside, but the PIMs came in bunches... Chris Kunitz was one of my draft picks that plays a tough game while sitting on top lines, Justin Williams plays with an edge, Marty Erat as a result from playing large minutes and going in dirty areas took sevel minor penaltys, and Braydon Coburn were others I've drafted for their upsides and abilitys to play tough/active games...

Notice all of those I mentioned do chip in with points and are not one sided players... I'd look draft/aquire most of those without the PIM stat in my leauge and I already own Petrovic (but for his upside in points)
    Last edited by Jason_Banks; December 30, 2012 at 3:16 PM.
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
    Draft the best players regardless of what they bring. I don't like to reach to find guys that will take forever to arrive. But if your prospects develop they can either produce for your roster or be good trade chips.

In the league in my sig I drafted JT Brown, Torey Krug and Marek Hrivik in the prospect draft. Not necessarily PIM guys but Brown/Krug should be well-rounded guys and Hrivik is a boom/bust type. Then I found Zach Budish, Michael Ferland, Mark Borowiecki and Frank Corrado on the wire as future PIM guys.