Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fantasy Leagues - Point of no return?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Ours is a limited keepr (8), buy-in is $175. We draft first sat following Labor Day and you have to be paid in-full in order to draft. GMs wanted to carry over the remaining cash...to play for more money next year. It's not really based on logic.
    If that's the consensus then I don't see an issue. Seems to me some guys got the interpretation you had forced this on your league.

Determining next years draft order will be tricky if you don't have a "if a season is lost due to lockout here's the order" rule (how sad is it that such a rule should not be considered a legitimate need for keeper leagues?)
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    If that's the consensus then I don't see an issue. Seems to me some guys got the interpretation you had forced this on your league.

Determining next years draft order will be tricky if you don't have a "if a season is lost due to lockout here's the order" rule (how sad is it that such a rule should not be considered a legitimate need for keeper leagues?)
    Yeah and looking back at my OP, I can see how. I was really just trying to get a feel for other commissioners with regard to their point of no return. For example, even if there is an NHL season, that may not be sufficient to have a fantasy season. Anything less than eleven weeks, i would have a hard time justifying.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm not sure about the backwards drafting for the next draft.
    You may find that it's not necessarily fair.

I was in a poorly run fantasy baseball league this year.

We had the initial draft, where order was randomized... fine.
    But then the commissioners decided that there would be two-rounds of supplemental draft, in reverse order... uh, OK?
    And there would be a minor league draft, in the original order... huh?
    And another minor league draft for the very most recent draft class... in opposite order, same order as 2nd draft.

In other words, 4 drafts.

The problem in a 14-team league is that the golden-nuggets of goodness are those first 3 picks. So teams drafting #1, #2, #3 had nice picks. The teams drafting #12, #13, #14 ended up having #1, #2, #3 picks in the 2nd & 4th draft types.

But the teams in the middle, picking 6th/7th/8th... well, they had middling picks in every single draft? How is that fair? The cream of the crop is usually gone by the 6th pick in any kind of draft.

Just saying, it's not necessarily fair to draft backwards.
    I think it would be fairer to fully randomized... but a vote on it first might be a wise route to go.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'm not sure about the backwards drafting for the next draft.
    You may find that it's not necessarily fair.

I was in a poorly run fantasy baseball league this year.

We had the initial draft, where order was randomized... fine.
    But then the commissioners decided that there would be two-rounds of supplemental draft, in reverse order... uh, OK?
    And there would be a minor league draft, in the original order... huh?
    And another minor league draft for the very most recent draft class... in opposite order, same order as 2nd draft.

In other words, 4 drafts.

The problem in a 14-team league is that the golden-nuggets of goodness are those first 3 picks. So teams drafting #1, #2, #3 had nice picks. The teams drafting #12, #13, #14 ended up having #1, #2, #3 picks in the 2nd & 4th draft types.

But the teams in the middle, picking 6th/7th/8th... well, they had middling picks in every single draft? How is that fair? The cream of the crop is usually gone by the 6th pick in any kind of draft.

Just saying, it's not necessarily fair to draft backwards.
    I think it would be fairer to fully randomized... but a vote on it first might be a wise route to go.
    Great point. I can see switching order for two drafts, but after that it should certainly be random.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...