Thread: Why Top 100 "ROTO"?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Why Top 100 "ROTO"?

I've been wondering why people make a difference between top players in Roto and top players in H2H leagues. Looking at the newest Top 100 Roto players, I still think these guys would be equally valueable in H2H leagues (that count peripheral stats).
    I'v been in both Roto and H2H leagues and I think I got a grip on both - but I still don't get it why people value players differently for these two types of leagues. So why does the most recent list not just say "Top 100 multi cat fantasy players" (regardless of the kind of league)? Any hints? Thanks!
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    I've been wondering why people make a difference between top players in Roto and top players in H2H leagues. Looking at the newest Top 100 Roto players, I still think these guys would be equally valueable in H2H leagues (that count peripheral stats).
    I'v been in both Roto and H2H leagues and I think I got a grip on both - but I still don't get it why people value players differently for these two types of leagues. So why does the most recent list not just say "Top 100 multi cat fantasy players" (regardless of the kind of league)? Any hints? Thanks!
    Read "Top 100 Roto" out loud and then "Top 100 multi cat fantasy players" out loud.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

One of the few differences is that streaky/injury prone/one dimensional players are more tolerable in H2H because you have more short-term flexibility over your lineup and also due to the fact that only the playoffs matter (as long as your line-up is strong enough to get you there).

ROTO is all about consistency, durability and across-the-board contribution.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Read "Top 100 Roto" out loud and then "Top 100 multi cat fantasy players" out loud.
    Bingo! They are essentially the same, but one of them flow a whole lot better.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Yah, that's what I always assumed.

In regular cat leagues easy to determine player value yourself (g,a,ppp, pim, sog).

Now a lot more leagues include hits, BS, FOW which at least for me, is harder to compare players worth.

I really like the roto guides.
    Semi-retired

Administrator

Likewise, Kleenex is the term used for all tissue paper. Who the hell wants to call it tissue paper??? It's Kleenex dammit!

Roto = multi-category.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Likewise, Kleenex is the term used for all tissue paper. Who the hell wants to call it tissue paper??? It's Kleenex dammit!

Roto = multi-category.
    Actually I believe the proper term is 'facial tissue'

Boom, lawyered.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post

Boom, lawyered.
    Boom, I need coffee.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post

Boom, lawyered.
    More like, buzzkilled.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks. If I get your oh so kind answer right metaldude26, I learn that "roto" can be used as a synonym for "multi cat". I didn't get that, thought it only refers to the type of league (roto vs. H2H). I hope I'll be excused as English is only my third language, so these misinterpretations happen to me every now and then....
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Banned

Thanks. If I get your oh so kind answer right metaldude26, I learn that "roto" can be used as a synonym for "multi cat". I didn't get that, thought it only refers to the type of league (roto vs. H2H). I hope I'll be excused as English is only my third language, so these misinterpretations happen to me every now and then....
    no, you are correct.
    many leagues can be multi-cat, roto is only one of them...
    roto only describes the type of league.
    roto is not synonymous with multi-cat.
    the top100 roto tiltle is misleading, as the list could include the top 100 players for any type of multi-cat league.

Administrator

The top 100 roto rankings are for one specific setting which is specified in the document. The title is a bit misleading though because it could mean so many things as mentioned in this thread by others.

Dobber Sports Pro

^^^Yep. Custom rankings on a league-by-league basis on positions eligibility, require positions, number of teams, and categories is the best way to go. One size fits all isn't the best approach at all.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Star

The key difference is that all roto leagues are "category totals" leagues, meaning that you get points based on your rank in each scoring category.

In points only, fantasy points (eg 3 G, 2 A, 1 PIM, 0.5 SOG etc etc) and lots of other formats, it doesn't matter which categories your points come from, just that you get the most points.

Multicat just means multiple categories, and doesn't describe how those categories are converted into scoring -- and that's a huge distinction.

H2H just means that instead of measuring over a full season, you are measured based on matchups.

If it was properly named, it would be "Top 100 Category-totals".

Administrator

Didn't mean to be rude was just pointing out the difference between what is a quick and effective title and what might be an exhaustive and confusing title. I think that since ROTO or rotisserie have been around since the dawn of fantasy sports (back when it was just baseball) every knows that it implies multiple categories so it's simply the most effective means of communicating.

Now, the list is actually geared towards rotisserie leagues and there are subtle differences between rotisserie and other forms of multi-category league but the reality is that in most cases those differences are negligible. So it's hardly a leap to have a list meant for ROTO that could also apply to the myriad of multiple category leagues.