Thread: 1st and 3rd Overall Picks Advice Needed

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default 1st and 3rd Overall Picks Advice Needed

Through some wheeling and dealing I was able to snag the first pick in our Salary Cap pool this year. I also have the 3rd overall. I am looking for some elite young talent that I can keep for many years to come. With the 1st pick overall I am leanign toward RW Yakupov. It will shore up the R Wing for many years. It is my 3rd pick that is really troubling me.
    Do I take a D stud like Hamilton or Schultz, or a dynamic C like Granlund or Galchenyuk? Then I am also thinking that Holtby could be great long term.

Here is the list of those best players available. Who are your top three picks? I have no idea who will go 2nd overall. Thanks for the advice, I draft tomorrow.

C: Granlund, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko
    LW: Baertschi
    RW: Yakupov, Coyle, Tarasenko
    D: Hamilton, Schultz, Gardiner, Voynov
    G: Subban, Holtby, Neuvirth
    Salary Cap League - 13 Teams
    Cap: 83.5 Million
    Roster: 2 LW, 2 RW, 2 C, 2 Wing, 1 Forward, 4 D, 1 G, 5 Bench, 7 Farm
    Cats: PTS 1, PIMS 0.1, Blocked Shots 0.1, hits 0.1; Wins, Goals Against(-), SO, Saves

C: Crosby, Pavelski
    F: Mercer
    LW: Guentzel, Kaprizov
    RW: Kucherov, Marchessault
    W: E. Kane, Perron
    D: Q Hughes, Bouchard, Addison, Sandin
    G: Shesterkin
    Bench: Raanta, Rossi, Guhle, Garland

Farm: Soderstrom

Free Agents: Maccelli, Newhook, Gudas, Carrier, Kyrou, Gustafsson

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by horseflyhab View Post
    Through some wheeling and dealing I was able to snag the first pick in our Salary Cap pool this year. I also have the 3rd overall. I am looking for some elite young talent that I can keep for many years to come. With the 1st pick overall I am leanign toward RW Yakupov. It will shore up the R Wing for many years. It is my 3rd pick that is really troubling me.
    Do I take a D stud like Hamilton or Schultz, or a dynamic C like Granlund or Galchenyuk? Then I am also thinking that Holtby could be great long term.

Here is the list of those best players available. Who are your top three picks? I have no idea who will go 2nd overall. Thanks for the advice, I draft tomorrow.

C: Granlund, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko
    LW: Baertschi
    RW: Yakupov, Coyle, Tarasenko
    D: Hamilton, Schultz, Gardiner, Voynov
    G: Subban, Holtby, Neuvirth
    The top four are pretty easy, but the order you could probably juggle.

Yakupov
    Granlund
    Baertschi
    Galchenyuk

That's how I'd draft them.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I had Granlund #2 as well, I think he will be chosen second.
    Baertschi would be nice at LW and he has a low Entry Level cap hit as well. I hadn't considered him as a 3rd or 4th pick overall though.
    Something more for me to consider.
    Thanks
    Cats: PTS 1, PIMS 0.1, Blocked Shots 0.1, hits 0.1; Wins, Goals Against(-), SO, Saves

Dobber Sports Padawan

For your team I would rank them:

1. Yakupov
    2. Schultz
    3. Granlund

I rank Schultz high because your D seems to be the thinest positioin on your team and you can't deny how good he's playing in the AHL with the likes of Hall/Eberle. He is the corner stone for the EDM D going forward and his opportunity to succeed is through the roof.

Granlund comes in 3rd but I also like Gally from MTL. Both are going to be their respectively #1 C's down the road. It's really a coin flip to just how good either will be in terms of production at this point.

Good luck.
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Defenses : Letang ($26), Visnovsky ($1), Bieksa ($1), Faulk ($2) Ehrhoff ($2)

Goalies : Holtby ($7), Nabokov ($2)

Dobber Sports Giant

Yakupov
    Granlund
    schultz
    this looks like how id rank the top 3.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Superstar

Yakupov is the obvious 1st.

Schultz/Granlund. One of these guys is who I'd take in the 3rd spot as they seem to be closest to being NHL ready. I would stay away from drafting for positional need. Take the best available.

Schultz has the hype machine working for him right now and is probably closest to NHL ready if you will be competing soon.

Granlund is probably second in being ready for the NHL, plus have some significant upside.

Galchenyuk/Grigorenko/Hamilton aren't quite as ready, but have significant upside, so if you're looking to compete in 2 to 3 years, one of these guys might be the way to go.

Holtby if you needed goalie help, but there's a degree of uncertainty there.

Baertschi, I don't quite get the hype with him, but if you wanted to draft for positional requirements, then he's you're only LW option I suppose, although I advise against it.
    Last edited by Kofax; December 14, 2012 at 4:02 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'd target Schultz with that 3rd since D looks like your biggest position of need by far, though any of the other D you mentioned are solid choices also
    Last edited by hockeymanG23; December 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Schultz

I would be going with Schultz for sure with Grandlund in a close second. Edmonton has the potential of having one of the best power plays in the league with Schultz at QB. Mature defenceman with his skill set do not come along too often.
    Goals, assists, pts, ppp, hits, sog, blks, w, s%, ga, so.
    12 team keeper, keep 6.
    C- Getzlaf
    C- Turris
    C- Stepan
    LW- Zetterberg
    LW- Palat
    LW- Dubinsky
    RW- Wheeler
    RW- Ovechkin
    RW- Brouwer
    D- Pietrangelo
    D- Kronwall
    D- Byfuglien
    D- Daily
    D- Edler
    D- Streit
    Util- B. Nelson
    Util- Kadri
    G- Lundqvist
    G- Miller
    G- Kuemper
    Bench- Kucherov, Erhoff, Mi Granlund, Tokarski

Dobber Sports Wizard

Yakupov at 1st is a given.

Picking 3rd is tough as so many of those players are realistically worth that choice. Granlund, Galchenyuk, Bartschi, Tarasenko, Schultz, and Hamilton probably lead the pack.

Your defense is weak, but has a couple solid two-way guys to build around in OEL and Carlson, adding Schultz or Hamilton could really make the position a strength. Schultz will give you more immediate impact as he'll be handed the keys to Edmonton's PP from the get-go, but in a few years Hamilton might be more valuable.

You're extremely weak at center for an 8 team league, with only two NHL centers on your roster and Scheifele on the way maybe when the season starts. I would go Galchenyuk and then Granlund in my rankings due to Granlund already piling up an extensive injury list.

I would give some real thought to taking Tarasenko. RW is a very thin position, and with Hossa and Iginla getting up there in age and Okposo not showing a ton it might be worth it to double-down on the position with Yak and Tara. Also, Tarasenko might be the best prospect on the list regardless of position.

Bartschi I would hope makes it around to my next pick. I like him a lot but I'm not sure he's in quite the same class as some of these others players. Plus LW is maybe your strongest position.

In an 8 team league everyone is competing, so for that reason I would give a lot of thought to Schultz or Tarasenko as I think they're the two most NHL ready players on the list. Granlund as well but like I said, injuries. Gally should be in the NHL next season but he's a little younger....I would have him ahead of Granlund still.

1. Yakupov
    2. Schultz/Tarasenko
    4. Hamilton
    5. Granlund
    6. Bartschi
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. You are all pretty much in line with what I was thinking. That is take Yakupov #1 then grab Schultz at the #3 spot if available. My D could use a guy to put up some points and I will be able to keep him for awhile.
    If Schultz goes #2 then I would lean toward cleaning up my Center position and take Granlund or Galchenyuk, either of who would be just fine in my estimation.

Dobber Sports Deity

Go with Yakupov at one. Thats the easy choice. If Schultz goes at two, I would take Granlund over Galchenyuk. He's more NHL ready and his upside is as good if not better then Galchenyuk's.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Go with Yakupov at one. Thats the easy choice. If Schultz goes at two, I would take Granlund over Galchenyuk. He's more NHL ready and his upside is as good if not better then Galchenyuk's.

I'm similar... except I'd take Yakupov, Schultz, and Galchenyuk (I see he a Granlund as being very close, just personal preference).
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Pro

I would take Yakupov then Tarasenko. If Tarasenko is gone, I'd take Baertschi, followed by Granlund then Galchenyuk. I wouldnt pass up any of the 5 guys I just named in favor of taking Schultz.