Thread: Advice on Blowing Up & Rebuilding Keeper Teams?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Advice on Blowing Up & Rebuilding Keeper Teams?

Can anyone point me to good articles on advice for strategies to rebuild teams in keeper leagues? I busted up my team a couple years back. I had a good competitive team but not a championship team. Now I have great young prospects and a nice stock pile of picks over the next 2 years. At some point I have to turn my attention away from young guys and onto "now" players and make my run at the Cup. I'm looking for advice on issues such as:

1. To what extent should I be relying on potential upside in young players? For example, an unproven young player with 80+ upside versus an older player with proven 60 pt. production. I'm worried that I'm too focused on potential upside and may stack my team with players that may never come to fruition.

2. Is the "4 year break out rule" something I should hang my hat on in terms of timing when I think I should be making my run for the championship?

3. Should I be keeping high risk / high return players like Kuznetsov?

Any general advice for planning a bust up/rebuild of fantasy teams would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Stat Categories: G(1), A(1), +/- (.5), PIM (.25), SHG (2), SHA (1), GWG (2), Hits and blocks (.1), W(2), GA (-.2), SV (.05), SO (5)
    C(x3), L(x3), R(x3), D(x6), Utility(1), G(x3), Bench(x6)

(Keep 10 skaters, 2 goalies)
    C: Backes, Kuznetsov, Pavelski, Thornton, Grandlund
    L: Benn, E. Kane, Dupuis, Kunitz, N. Filigno
    R: Kassian, Tarasenko, Yakupov, Coyle
    D: B. Smith, Carlson, D. Hamilton, Giordano, Hamonic, Seidenberg, Goligoski
    G: Rask, Schneider, Lindback, Anderson

Dobber Sports Sophomore

A few thoughts on your questions:

1. I'd try to determine if there are other teams in your league willing to deal established players for one or more of your young, high-upside guys. Try to determine which players you are willing to deal and which you are willing to wait on. Try to trade your all-potential/no results guys for other players who are still young but entering their prime years. Examples: Logan Couture, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Cam Fowler and Jordan Eberle.

2. It's good to have a plan, but I don't live and die by a four-year plan in my leagues. To me, roster flexibility is everything. Always put yourself in a position to be able to make a move when you are in contention and build for the future when you are not in contention.

3. I don't mind keeping one or two high-risk/high-reward guys, but it all depends on who you are keeping those players over.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

My first thought is this: Why rebuild again when your current rebuild isn't even finished? You'll just get stuck in perpetual rebuild mode. You need to have patience. That doesn't mean you can't make deals, but at some point you need to stick with what you've got and make a run.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think it's hard to say what-to-do with your team.

Rebuilding often depends on your leaguemates.
    At this point, if you are looking to mix in some "proven" with your kids, you would need to find a team that wants to "rebuild" like you did. A team that is looking to gut their team's age for prospects.

In some pools, you can identify that team and the owner is ready to talk trades.
    In other pools, that team may not exist... and there may not be a darn-thing you can to change your team other than waiting for your team to mature.

For now, I think your team is too young to compete... unless you are in a 16-team+ league.

In simple terms, you need to really identify an upcoming year when you expect to compete, maybe 2014-2015, but not this year... probably still not next year either (unless this is a 16+ team league).

Dobber Sports Stud

1. when you rebuild upside is the key, but first you need to choose a window for said upside to occur in.

your teams has some great young talent. The key things you are going to build around will have a window opening up in about 1-2 years.
    key players:
    Rask: window is now for another long while
    schneider: window opens now or next year and will be open for at least 5 years
    yakupov: window opens in about 2 years, there is no way he is an impact player day 1
    benn: window now and for another 5 years plus
    backes: now and for another 3 years (power forwards burn out)
    kane: now and for another 5 years

The rest are support guys imho.
    If i were rebuilding:
    1. trade old guys that still have value, that is thorton, the rest look like they are already gone
    2. consolidate talent. you have 6 guys in your core, and about 10 guys that would not be bad keepers. I would move as many of those boarderline guys for more core guys. See if you can swing granlund and tarasenko for a lower risk young player like eriksson.
    10 team Dyn
    tavares rnh statsny
    AO benn
    kessel malkin
    ryan purcell
    green letang enstrom kulkov OEL ellis
    lundy ward varly bernier lehrner
    burmistrov hodgson michalek, ryan oreilly, turris okposo

16 team h2h
    Spezza, Tavares
    Vanek,doan
    malkin, eberle
    Doughty Letang, karlsson, weber
    hall
    green enstrom downie palmeiri kassain bogo
    lundy price pavelec

weiters fielder kipnis wright hanley braun upton upton maybin victorino goldschmidt
    kershaw, startsburg, greinke, bumgarner, price, neise, bret anderson
    valverde, hanrahan, aceves, reed, guerra, storen

Administrator

My advice: do not rebuild.

Shameless plug: an article I wrote on this topic - http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index...eau&Itemid=117

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Bishop - how many teams in your league?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I would do what the blue jays did this off season... package as many prospects as you can and get solid players that can contribute now... take the 4-6 guys that will help you win now and then use ur prospects/fringe keepers and try and package them for more guys like benn

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    My advice: do not rebuild.

Shameless plug: an article I wrote on this topic - http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index...eau&Itemid=117
    That was a good read. Pretty much what I try to do with my team year in/year out.
    Keeper Pool. Points only. Salary Cap 85M$ (yearly salary, not cap hit). 28 GM League.
    Only the best 11F, 4D, 1G of every teams counts in the standing.

Players list here:
    https://ultimatekeeperspool.com/seattle/

Dobber Sports Pro

I started a major rebuild when I took over a team last January. It was a middle of the road team at best with little hope for future growth. I immediately dismantled the team and traded my assets (H.Sedin, M.Smith, to name two) for younger assets. Fast forward a few months, and while I had no intention of flipping back to proven players so early, numerous opportunities presented themselves to me. So I flipped all of my young guys and built a strong and young team (most guys are under 30). So I should be good to go for a while.

But this totally depended on my league. Many teams went into "rebuild" mode, and I had a good market for my young guys. If there isn't a market, it's best to stand pat and and just let things happen. Don't force it, as you'll lose value.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Administrator

There is no formula. Every situation is different. Ideally, if you do decide to rebuild it should be done fairly quickly. As far as I am concerned, the only reason to do so is if you lack top flight talent. Therefore, if you have elite talent you should not trade it unless you get elite talent in return. If you don't have it then you throw yourself into the tank until you draft some elite talent. Then spend the rest of the time building around the edges picking up undervalued players along the way.

Everyone wants to build a juggernaut that will win for a decade. It can be done but it probably only happens if you have a weak league and then once you've built that juggernaut the fun ends or the league ends. In a stronger league the best thing you can do is what ED advises and simply never rebuild and the best way to do that is to avoid underselling assets.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Veteran

My strategy has been to try to win my pool every year.

Most of the results are based on sheer luck so you might as well draft the best team you can every season and see where the chips fall.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Genius

The article Eric provided has good advice plus a few links to other valuable reports.

Since it looks like the majority of your group is still a few years away I would look at options to trade your older players while they still have good value. Thornton and Anderson primarily are the two that should get good interest followed by Goligoski and Kunitz. I would just put it out there to the league that those guys might be available in exchange for young talent to gauge the interest. If there are no decent offers at this point I would hold off on trading them until the next season is in play and a contender is looking to shore up his team.

It looks to me that you are in a spot that will require patience for a bit longer but with the youngsters you do have your team will be heading in a very positive direction.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Administrator

Even if a rebuild is done very successfully I still think if the same effort was put towards winning you can have a contender and win championships more quickly. People are more eager to trade in fantasy hockey and frankly some GMs are not very good. Don't get discouraged and stick to the plan of making the team better.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust