Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default The Hobbit

Can't believe it took to the day of release for a thread to be started about this movie.

Anyone else pumped? Or have the reviews put that down a bit? Im personally disappointed they went to 3 movies...especially now reading reviews that say it all just seems WAY too drawn out....

Either way....LoTR was a staple of my adolescence. I saw every film multiple times in theatres and have rewatched many times. Im seeing it Monday.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm really worried I am going to be let down. Lord of the Rings are my favorite movies and The Hobbit has had sketchy reviews, even from people who really love the books etc. Hoping to go this weekend but I am going in with some trepidation.

I only go to the cinema maybe 4 times a year, so I like to only take in shows that are actually worth paying the STUPID prices to go see.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I hear ya man. Aside from the whole length issue....I just heard and saw a few weeks ago that A LOT of the orc/goblins are now CGI instead of actual actors in prosthetics. I mean......COME ON!!! That's why everything looked so good in Lotr........

Also not really sure how they're planning an extended edition for these when they're already spreading a small book over 3 movies.

Dobber Sports Stud

Wow I did not know that.. That would be pretty drawn out, obviously to cash in as much as they can.. especially since they did the trilogy in three movies

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm a huge fan of the books but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

I really question Jackson's ability to extend this into a compelling trilogy. The Hobbit (the book) is probably half the size of just one of the three LOTR books - there simply is not enough film-worthy content for 3 movies.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    Wow I did not know that.. That would be pretty drawn out, obviously to cash in as much as they can.. especially since they did the trilogy in three movies
    Yep. It was announced a few months ago.

I guess a big thing for me looking at the public.....everyone knows Bilbo and Gandalf survive. With Lotr it was literally 3 years of waiting to see if Aragorn, Frodo or Sam made it through. This one...we all know the outcome. Kind of takes away from the excitement of the next two movies. It's not like Star Wars where you're waiting to see the transition of Anakin....

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    With Lotr it was literally 3 years of waiting to see if Aragorn, Frodo or Sam made it through.
    What do you mean by that? Almost everyone who watched those movies read the books I presume lol

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    What do you mean by that? Almost everyone who watched those movies read the books I presume lol
    Im pretty sure not almost everyone who watched it read the books.....that's assuming a lot.

Me personally....I had barely even heard of it before the Fellowship. And then read 1, 2 and 3 after I fell in love with Fellowship.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I hear ya man. Aside from the whole length issue....I just heard and saw a few weeks ago that A LOT of the orc/goblins are now CGI instead of actual actors in prosthetics. I mean......COME ON!!! That's why everything looked so good in Lotr........

Also not really sure how they're planning an extended edition for these when they're already spreading a small book over 3 movies.
    I agree, I'm not keen on the idea of too much CGI since the costumes in the LOTR were pretty damn good. Though at the same time Gollum and a few other characters were all CGI and they did look good also.

And I'm not getting the need for three movies either. It can only be to boost cliffhanger/ hype scenes and rake in the moolah. So be it, it's business. Still, all the other books were covered in @3 hour films. That would certainly be enough time to put together a great version of The Hobbit.

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Perhaps I'm a minority in this way, since I've read The Hobbit but never the LOTR trilogy all I know about it came from the films. As far as I can tell Jackson plus the cast and crew did a great job.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah, I dunno. Going from the fellowship, to the hobbit, is almost anti-climatic. I think they'll be okay but probably not as great as LOTR. Plus it flowed better, knowing Bilbo then moving on to Frodo. In the Hobbit your kinda just hearing the story of the old guy at the beginning of the LOTR, you have Gandalf the grey, and you already know they history of the ring. Just more predictable now. But definitely going to be seeing it.

Dobber Sports Star

I just got back from an early showing of it. I cannot begin to say how disappointed I was with it. Keep in mind, I LOVED The Lord of the Rings movies. I have read the Books, including The Hobbit several times throughout my life. I played Dungeons and Dragons for years during my youth because of the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. The Tolkien books lead to me reading The Wheel of Time series, the Thomas Covenant Chronicles, the Shannara books, The Belgariad and the Mallorean, the Myth series, the Elric series, The Book of Swords, many Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms novels.

Sadly, I was skeptical going in. The LOTR movies were almost lightning in a bottle, and when I went to The Hobbit tonight, it felt like they were trying SO hard to make money with this thing. Dragging it out over 3 movies is just SO unnecessary. It also really felt to me like The Hobbit is the Phantom Menace to The LOTR being the Star Wars trilogy. I hope others like it, personally, I give it a 4 out of 10...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Giant

the old cartoon of the hobbit was done in one movie and i thiought it was great. no need to make it three.
    they should have done the hobbit and the lord of the ring in chronological order.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Expert

Arent they explaining a lot more than what is just in the book? Gandalf goes away for a while and they never cover what he does in the book. The necromancer was never in the book, but is in one of the three movies. I think there is so much more story in the three movies that was ever in the book. Doesn't he reference the appendices just like in LOTRs?
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Gaborlick View Post
    Arent they explaining a lot more than what is just in the book? Gandalf goes away for a while and they never cover what he does in the book. The necromancer was never in the book, but is in one of the three movies. I think there is so much more story in the three movies that was ever in the book. Doesn't he reference the appendices just like in LOTRs?
    Yes supposedly a lot of it is from the appendices in Return of the King....Im just saying that pushing the first of now THREE movies to around the 2.5 hour running time is stretching it.

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah like I know there's a lot of side content they could go off of, but if it feels like just filler to make 3 movies legitimate, I dunno how I would feel about it. I know there was some big enough parts of LOTR that was left out, and lots of history in like the Similarion (which I half read) Ha.