Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Massive Blockbuster

I...am your father.

Default Massive Blockbuster

I'm about to agree to another deal in my Forecaster League. 14 teams, keep 12, have to get down to 12 before season starts (stop laughing).
    Points only, with some added minor weight for SOG and PPP... weekly lineups,
    NHL-type rosters (4 C, 8 W, 6 D, 2 G, big bench, etc). Defending champ!

Problem 1 - As the defending champ, it goes without saying that my team kicks ass. So getting the kickass players down to 12 is tough. I had at one point easily 20 guys with keeper value, and 15 guys who are slam-dunk keepers. So I'd be dropping three slam-dunk keepers? I don't think so.

Problem 2 - I have a first round pick. Then nothing until the fifth round. Correction, last week as I noted here, I traded Strome and a 6th for a 4th. So I do have a 4th now.

Here is the deal:

To me:
    Mike Green, a 2nd and three 4ths this year. Also a 2nd in 2013 and a 1st in 2014.

To him:
    Ilya Kovalchuk, Eric Staal, and Kevin Shattenkirk.

Before you laugh at me....freeing up these two spots allow me to keep Loui Eriksson and Tobias Enstrom (or MDZ...not sure which yet).

Draft picks solved. Still 12 very good keepers (actually 13 keepers)

Keepers:
    C - Kopitar, Benn (W)
    W - Giroux (C), Neal, St. Louis, Eriksson
    D - Letang, Green, Enstrom
    G - Smith, Anderson, Dubnyk

Non-Keepers:
    Fleischmann, Berglund
    S.Kostitsyn, Johansen, Williams, Kuznetsov, Conacher
    Del Zotto
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Initiate

I'm not sure I like this deal. Are picks really that valuable in your league?

I wouldn't have done it but that's me and I don't have my own sports website
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Padawan

i would have preferred you used your extra guys to improve your goaltending which is questionable imo.

None of your three goalies is a tier 1 guy. (unless you're in the camp that doesn't believe Smith is a regression year suspect)

But I still like the trade for you. You got tons of picks for guys that you might have lost for nothing.

Although it would have been nice if you could have found a way to deal St Louis instead of Kovy
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I would do that deal. Clearly you have sawed off for this year with a decrease in keeper quality but covering that with picks. What I really like about the deal is the future year draft picks.

Dobber Sports Ace

Like the others that have posted so far, I'm not sure I like this deal.

You do solve your issue of draft picks. You get a decent amount for sure. So you now have a 1st, 2nd, four 4th's with no 3rd, or 6th.

But you created another issue for yourself and that is the other team. I'm assuming that this deal from his point of view is to get keepers and I'm assuming all three are keeper players. And some damn good ones at that.

Was getting those picks really worth creating a potential competitor for yourself? A potentially strong one?

I suppose the 2013 2nd and 2014 1st make up for that a little and ensure you're going to be able to (hopefully) compete long term.

I still feel...off...about this deal.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

not sure i like this deal for you either dobbs, to each his own my gut has led me well enough as im sure most others have. Agree with the goaltending upgrade, i would have dealth smith and kovy for a tier 1 guy or something of the sorts if you were to deal kovy. i think you gave up too much (i get that you would lose them anyways tho and need to deal em or loose em). not sure i like green more then shattenkirk either.

i just dont see how those picks would be that vital, yes i would go and get some picks in your situation, but i wouldnt have dealt those guys unless those picks were 1st rds, the guy you dealt them to clearly plans on keeping them, for reference e.kane fetched a dude in a 20 team h2h with similar roster specs a 1st, 3rd, and flash.. im thinking by that "logic" kovalchuk should have netted you green, a 1st and maybe a 2nd or a 1st prospect pick or something of that nature, greens value is still super low.
    12 team h2h keep 5 + 1 goalie
    *2012-2013 & 2013-2014 Champ
    G A PIM +/- hits SOG PPP
    c-Tavares, Mackinnon Eichel
    rw-Seguin, Tarasenko
    d-Josi
    g-Schneider

I...am your father.

Think of the first round as the 13th player on your 26-man roster.

So I got a 14th player, 16th, 17, 18th.

Last year this was Fleischmann, Kunitz, Vermette, Ladd types of players. If I only draft once in the first 50 picks....my team is in trouble. Now I draft five times.

Plus future picks - to use to finalize deals this year for the win. I also believe Green will be an upgrade to Shattenkirk. Call it a hunch. While Eriksson/Staal is a wash in this pool.

So it comes down to - is Kovalchuk as a forward an upgrade over Enstrom as a dman? Of course. But does six draft picks make up for that gap? Yes.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'm guessing your trade partner isn't expecting a return to health and productivity for Mike Green. I don't take issue with the deal. You needed to make a move for roster flexibility purposes. While you sent three productive players away (Staal, Shattenkirk and Kovy), I don't think you sold low on any of them. They are known quantities, none of whom I expect will produce much more than they have this past season.

I do agree with the assertion that you can try to improve your goaltending situation, but I'm not a fan of paying a high price for goalies. Their value is so volatile, it's hard to predict what they'll give you moving forward.

I...am your father.

Based on what many are saying in this thread...now is not the time to trade those goalies! Everyone seems to be sour on them so my return on them would suck.

I like them, and am comfortable that two of three each week will give me great results.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't like it.

If I'm in your shoes, I'd rather keep Kovy and Staal, and dump Dubnyk.

I understand the value of goalies in 14-team keeper, but do you REALLY need to keep Dubnyk? Especially in light of the fact that the Oilers will suck next year?

Considering you were going to lose those guys for nothing nice job shoring up 3 years of drafts.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I do like it. I dont think people are willing to make present day sacrifices for future picks often enough. I've done a bunch of deals like this in my league where I got first round picks in later years that my friends didn't really care about losing at the time, but now my buddy would easily trade me Duchene (for instance) for his 1st rounder back and I'm still holding out.

The one thing I'm suspicious about is Mike Green. Do you really have faith in him going forward?
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Pro

The deal you made is better, value wise, than dropping some of the players you had to chose from. Good deal when you're in the vice.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

The deal makes some sense from a roster management perspective, but man, your goalies….

Did you actually win with those same three goalies last year?
    10 team roto, Keep 17 + 50 farmers (Farm GP limits 246 F, 328 D and 200 G). Dress 9F 5D 1Ut 2G (G, A, D-pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, W, SV%, GAA)

F- Tavares Bergeron Simmonds Kucherov Radulov Skinner JVR Brown R. Smith Perron Kesler
    D- Doughty Josi Giordano Suter Muzzin Boroweicki
    G- Dubnyk Murray Smith
    Farm highlights: Abramov, Chlapik, Cirelli, Kunin, Mantha, McCarron, Perlini, Johnsson, Zykov, Ritchie, Honka, Kylington, Sorokin, C. Point, Dansk

Dobber Sports Star

Always trying to get better value in trades is a classic mistake you didn't fall into here, Dobbs.

Did you get the better value? Nope, but that's not relevant.

Did your team get better? Yes, a hell of a lot. Without this trade you have a snowball's chance in hell of taking down the title; with this trade you have a legitimate shot.