Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: NHL Lockout Clock

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    Bettman spent the last 4 or 5 years saying how the league is doing great and revenue is sky high. Again, why not re-evaluate the teams in struggling markets. There's more to than just cutting in to the pie. Although, I do agree that 50-50 should be a standard split.
    The league is (or should I say was) doing great and revenues were sky high. Doesn't mean there's no issues to be fixed though. Like you said 50/50 should be standard split and yet we got a huge fight over that split. Hardly NHL's, and only NHL's fault.

Yes, they should re-evaluate those too. But just last year Atlanta moved to Winnipeg so clearly they've been doing that. Islanders moving to Brooklyn also helps a lot. Phoenix should have moved a long time ago though, I'm not going to defend on how that situations been handled. Beyond that I don't think any of the struggling markets should be relocated. I think hockey has its place in Nashville, Columbus, St.Louis etc. Those teams should be much better off with even just going to 50/50 split. Florida has a sweet arena deal which guarantees that they'll stay there a long time and will do just fine.
    Last edited by Carcillo; December 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Administrator

Bettman spent the last 4 or 5 years saying how the league is doing great and revenue is sky high. Again, why not re-evaluate the teams in struggling markets. There's more to than just cutting in to the pie. Although, I do agree that 50-50 should be a standard split.
    Bettman was saying the same thing leading up to the 2004 lockout. He's a lawyer. It's all about positive spin when it is convenient.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Bettman was saying the same thing leading up to the 2004 lockout. He's a lawyer. It's all about positive spin when it is convenient.
    That's totally my point. I'm not trying to say the players are at all innocent in this sh*t storm and it definitely isn't all their fault either. I think both the NHL and the PA have to equally shoulder the blame on this.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Administrator

That's totally my point. I'm not trying to say the players are at all innocent in this sh*t storm and it definitely isn't all their fault either. I think both the NHL and the PA have to equally shoulder the blame on this.
    Oh definitely. I just think the players are always on more fragile ground in these matters. They are tied to a percentage system so it is in their best interest to protect that. The percent number shouldn't be the target, but rather the grand total to draw from.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Of course he's going to say that. In reality there are too many teams struggling to be self-sufficient. And that is the problem here. The previous cap & floor system with 57% of revenue going to the overall cap is not sustainable and was clearly a mistake from the previous lockout. Last season $64m ceiling, $48m floor, what did it start out at? $39m ceiling, $23m floor ( a FIXED spread of $16m). The fixed spread was a boneheaded decision and is a result of lawyers negotiating these systems, they're trained to argue a system, not for designing one. Every team at the floor equals $1.44B. HRR was $3.3B so thats 44%. Every team at the ceiling would be at 58%. Most teams are close to the ceiling hence the problem currently. Salaries are artificially set to the teams closer to the ceiling but all markets are not equal.