Thread: Remembering charities with no hockey

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Remembering charities with no hockey

Just wanted to put this out there:

There's a lot of charities who may be feeling the pinch because of the lockout. They are not getting money from 50/50 draws, or charity fundraisers where they can auction off game tickets, or food drives to go the food bank. With Christmas coming up, many may be looking for donations.

Last year, for example, I think the Sens raised about $700,000 through 50-50 draws, they held a food bank fundraiser during a December game (it was scheduled for Dec. 15 against the Kings this year), and a Rogers House Telethon with Sportsnet during a game in the winter (Note: I'm not picking on Sens, but I live in Ottawa, so I'm more familiar with their fundraisers than I would be with ones in other cities). This is only stuff during the games. When you throw in the fact that during a season, there would be more stuff going on outside of games, there's a lot of money that charities are losing out on.

I've asked my Kris Kringle to make a donation on my behalf to the food bank instead of asking for hockey memorabilia like I normally would. Several others have now asked for the same thing.

This is one of those issues that isn't being covered enough. Screw the millionaires versus billionaires thing. There are people in need that could do with a little more holiday cheer.

If you're able, try to give a little bit more this season to the charities that may be affected by your local NHL team not playing.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Administrator

Which is why you have to give mad props to all the NHLers who have stuck around North America this fall/winter and have organized/participated in charity games. It certainly doesn't fill the void for anyone but it helps.

Thanks for bringing this up Newf! Definitely something to be mindful of.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Genius

Figures a Newf would be the one to bring up this great point & idea.
    Smoothmove Sir , lets all do our best to help out as many charities/needy as possible.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Which is why you have to give mad props to all the NHLers who have stuck around North America this fall/winter and have organized/participated in charity games. It certainly doesn't fill the void for anyone but it helps.

Thanks for bringing this up Newf! Definitely something to be mindful of.
    Yeah, well said MD.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Pro

Great idea from a fellow NL'r!
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Expert

Yes by's, we could throw an all Newfie invitational and do like a men's league game. Afterwards we could have a big dirty scoff of fish and brewis to boot! That'd be some shockin' good!
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Smokie View Post
    Yes by's, we could throw an all Newfie invitational and do like a men's league game. Afterwards we could have a big dirty scoff of fish and brewis to boot! That'd be some shockin' good!
    I'd prefer a big ole Jiggs Dinner but thats just me.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Aw hell. You guys make me want to go back to Trapper John's after 20yrs and get 'screeched in' all over again.

That was a week to remember. *hic*