Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Please rank Prospect Draft results!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Please rank Prospect Draft results!

Ahoy Dobberites,
    Back in September a group of us set up a new H2H league, and held our League draft and prospect draft. Players that had yet to play an NHL game were only allowed to be drafted in the Prospect draft, along with any other prospects who had played under 20 NHL games (players must graduate to Pro team after 20 NHL games) and remained after the main draft was complete.

League settings are: 12 team H2H, Start 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G.
    Skaters: G, A, PIM, FOW, ATOI, SOG, Hits, BLKs, STP, Dpts. Goalies: W, SV, GAA, SV%

Would love some feedback as to how my prospect squad fared in comparison to some of the other groups drafted. No hockey is making me.. something something.. so I thought I'd post this now!

I've listed each teams' prospects, along with the round each prospect was drafted in. Draft list is in order, we used a snake draft since this was the inaugural draft.

Team 1
    1. Nail Yakupov
    2. Jacob Trouba
    2. Andrei Vasilevski
    3. Tom Wilson
    4. Slater Koekkoek
    5. Peter Holland
    6. Vladimir Namestinkov
    7. Alexander Khochlachev

Team 2
    1. Justin Schultz
    2. Brandon Gormley
    3. Stan Galiev
    4. Brock Nelson
    5. Sami Vatenen
    6. Brendan Gallagher
    7. Mark Visentin

Team 3
    1. Alex Galchenyuk
    2. Jakob Silfverberg
    3. Malcolm Subban
    4. Viktor Fasth
    5. Damian Brunner
    6. Ben Scrivens
    7. Calle Järnkrok

Team 4
    1. Mathew Dumba
    2. Radek Faksa
    3. Scott Laughton
    4. Tanner Pearson
    5. Sebastian Collberg
    6. Rocco Grimaldi
    7. Brady skjei

My Team
    1. Filip Forsberg
    2. Nick Bjugstad
    3. Ty Rattie
    4. Mark Barberio
    5. Drew Shore
    6. Scott Glennie
    7. J.T. Miller

Team 6
    1. Morgan Rielly
    2. Jonas Brodin
    3. Anton Khudobin
    4. Mark Stone
    5. Trevor Smith
    6. Edward Pasquale
    7. Matt Fraser

Team 7
    1. Jack Campbell
    2. Niklas Jensen
    3. Joe Morrow
    4. Oscar Klefbom
    5. Eddie Lack
    6. Jamie Oleksiak
    7. Brendan Gaunce

Team 8
    1. Ryan Murray
    2. Hampus Lindholm
    4. Cory Conacher
    5. Michael Hutchinson
    6. Patrick Maroon
    7. Derrick Pouliot

Team 9
    1. Mikhail Grigorenko
    3. Nathan Beaulieu
    3. Joel Armia
    4. Scott Wedgewood
    5. Jared Knight
    6. Mark Pysyk
    7. Kyle Beach

Team 10
    1. Teuvo Teravainen
    2. Cody Ceci
    3. Oscar Dansk
    4. Henrik Samuelsson
    5. Robin Lehner
    6. Beau Bennett
    7. Phillip Di Giuseppe

Team 11
    1. Evgeny Kuznetsov
    2. Emerson Etem
    3. Tyler Toffoli
    4. Tyson Barrie
    5. Ryan Spooner
    6. Matt Hackett
    7. Tomas Tatar

Team 12
    1. Griffin Reinhart
    2. Zemgus Girgensons
    3. Nick Cousins
    4. Tomas Jurco
    5. Michael Houser
    6. Martin Frk
    7. Dalton Thrower

I have the strongest goal-tending in the league, and would rank my D in the top 3 in the league as well, thus I tried to target mainly forwards. I know a lot of people prefer to draft BAP, and that's why I wanted some feedback on the results!
    Sorry this became pretty long, but I would appreciate any thoughts/comments/criticisms from the community.
    Thanks, Smurf

Dobber Sports Stud

Curious to know if the order you listed the players corresponds to how they were drafted (eg. Did you select 5th overall and was Rattie your 3rd pick). If that's the case then someone spent the 7th overall on Campbell but Lehner dropped to the 5th round.....I really hope this wasn't the case.

I'd love to comment more but want to make sure I understand the draft order because there are some real curiosities mixed in there.

Administrator

I'm curious about the mere 20 game limit for prospects before they have to be graduated to the pros. It would seem to me that you are setting yourselves up for failure in this regard. It doesn't take much time for a player to reach 20 games and could easily find himself sent back to the minors for a few years thereafter. You are either going to have several teams carrying a lot of dead weight or you are going to have a lot of good prospects on the waiver wire.

In my experience the point of farm teams is to reward patience and foresight. By putting a 20-game cap on things you eliminate both patience and foresight and create a free-for-all type scenario with prospects that I imagine you were trying to avoid.

In my leagues we allow for players to be cycled up and down between the farm team and the pros up until a certain games played cap upon which time the player can no longer be cycled. If you want to keep the player on the farm you can keep him there for eternity but once you call him up after the games played cap is reached then he must stay up. It's a little wrinkle that helps keep prospects like Kadri, Niederreiter, Kassian, Adam, Boychuk, Pirri, Ellis, Elliott, and Blum from becoming waiver fodder until someone gets lucky enough to pick them up at the right time.

Under your system the best prospects are probably going to be goaltenders since they take the longest to reach their games played cap so whoever has the best goalie prospects under your system is probably sitting the prettiest.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

My rankings are as follows.

Team 1: Not sure how he pulled this off, but this guy dominated the draft IMO.

Team 3: Drafted a nice mix of goaltending and forwards, somewhat surprised he didn't take a D.

Your team: Your top three are pretty darn solid, but I'm interested in exactly where you took Barberio. He lacks big time upside, however he should be a quality NHL dman (seems like a Giordano type).

Team 11: Lots of intriguing prospects with high upside, pretty good draft IMO.

Team 2: If this manager needed D, he drafted three guys with huge upside in Vatanen, Schultz and Gormley. Plus he grabbed Galiev and Gallagher as well, nicely done.

Team 8: The Hutchison pick is interesting, but I like all the other players this particular team drafted.

Team 10: Two potential stud goalies and a bunch of other prospects that are highly regarded, good stuff.

Team 7: Oleksiak is a bit questionable, but every other prospect drafted is pretty darn good.

Team 12: Lots of potential studs in this particular format, not sure I like the Houser pick so much though.

Team 9: Armia's stock is falling, but I like all the other prospected this team drafted.

Team 4: Interesting group, I like Dumba a lot but he has several "wait and see" prospects.

Team 6: He did well the Rielly and Brodin picks, but seemed to fall apart after that. I mean, Trevor Smith? That made me laugh a bit. He lacks depth, but has two potential studs with very high ceilings.

To me, it seems like there are a lot of good prospects left. Are you able to sign and release prospects at all in your league?
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'm curious about the mere 20 game limit for prospects before they have to be graduated to the pros. It would seem to me that you are setting yourselves up for failure in this regard. It doesn't take much time for a player to reach 20 games and could easily find himself sent back to the minors for a few years thereafter. You are either going to have several teams carrying a lot of dead weight or you are going to have a lot of good prospects on the waiver wire.
    I totally agree. I fought hard to push the game limit for players to remain Prospect eligible to 82 games, but was ultimately outvoted by a group of close-minded members in the league who bonded together to overthrow me. But i'm not bitter

Sorry, I should've been more clear as to how the numbers beside each player related to their draft position. The number beside each player is the Round they were drafted. Using my team as an example:
    1. Filip Forsberg (Drafted round 1, I drafted 5th, so he was taken 5th overall)
    2. Nick Bjugstad (2nd round, snake draft, so taken 20th overall)
    3. Ty Rattie (3rd round, 29th overall)
    4. Mark Barberio (4th round, 44th overall)
    5. Drew Shore (5th, 53rd overall)
    6. Scott Glennie (68th overall)
    7. J.T. Miller (77th overall)

Teams are listed in the order they drafted.
    Example:
    Team 1 drafted: Yakupov
    T2: Schultz
    T3: Galchenyuk
    T4: Dumba
    Me(5): Forsberg
    etc

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    Curious to know if the order you listed the players corresponds to how they were drafted (eg. Did you select 5th overall and was Rattie your 3rd pick). If that's the case then someone spent the 7th overall on Campbell but Lehner dropped to the 5th round.....I really hope this wasn't the case.
    Unfortunately, that is the case. Some of the picks are... head scratching to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    To me, it seems like there are a lot of good prospects left. Are you able to sign and release prospects at all in your league?
    I believe so. Who did you have in mind?

Dobber Sports Stud

I think you did well, as your first 3 are solid. You could have grabbed Grigorenko over Forsberg arguably, but getting Bjugstad and Rattie where you did was very nice. Would have taken Nelson or Holland over Barberio personally. Didn't like the Glennie pick as there are a number of guys there that I would have preferred, but who knows, maybe you caught lightning in a bottle. Overall I think you and Teams 1 and 3 had the best draft.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

For one thing, where are guys like Baertschi, Huberdeau, Markstrom, Granlund, Hamilton, Zibanejad, Schwartz, Kreider and Strome?

I would like to think they are owned in your league from a previous prospect draft or something, but I'm not sure.

I'll give you some names of prospects that probably should be owned in your league.

Why didn't anyone draft Hertl? He should be picked up immediately.

-Nieto (SJ)
    -Smith (DET)
    -Holtby (probably owned as well)
    -Coyle
    -Ellis
    -Scheifele
    -Rundblad
    -Murphy
    -Merrill
    -Nyquist

Dobber Sports Wizard

Team 1
    1. Nail Yakupov - A+ A+
    2. Jacob Trouba - A B
    2. Andrei Vasilevski - A+ A
    3. Tom Wilson - B C+
    4. Slater Koekkoek - B B
    5. Peter Holland - B C+
    6. Vladimir Namestinkov - A B+
    7. Alexander Khochlachev - A B

Team 2
    1. Justin Schultz - A+ A+
    2. Brandon Gormley - B+ B
    3. Stan Galiev - B+ B
    4. Brock Nelson - B+ B
    5. Sami Vatenen - A+ A-
    6. Brendan Gallagher A+ B+
    7. Mark Visentin - A B

Team 3
    1. Alex Galchenyuk - A+ A
    2. Jakob Silfverberg - A+ A
    3. Malcolm Subban - A B+
    4. Viktor Fasth - B B
    5. Damian Brunner - B+ B+
    6. Ben Scrivens - B+ B
    7. Calle Järnkrok - A+ B+

Team 4
    1. Mathew Dumba - A A
    2. Radek Faksa - B+ B+
    3. Scott Laughton - C+ B
    4. Tanner Pearson - B B
    5. Sebastian Collberg - A B+
    6. Rocco Grimaldi - B+ B
    7. Brady skjei - D C

My Team
    1. Filip Forsberg - A A
    2. Nick Bjugstad - A A-
    3. Ty Rattie - A+ B+
    4. Mark Barberio - A B+
    5. Drew Shore - B+ B+
    6. Scott Glennie- B B-
    7. J.T. Miller - B+ B

Team 6
    1. Morgan Rielly - A+ A+
    2. Jonas Brodin - A B+
    3. Anton Khudobin - B+ B
    4. Mark Stone - A B+
    5. Trevor Smith - F C
    6. Edward Pasquale - D- D
    7. Matt Fraser - C+ C-

Team 7
    1. Jack Campbell - B+ B
    2. Niklas Jensen - B B+
    3. Joe Morrow - A A-
    4. Oscar Klefbom - B B+
    5. Eddie Lack - A+ A
    6. Jamie Oleksiak - B+ B
    7. Brendan Gaunce - B B

Team 8
    1. Ryan Murray - A+ A
    2. Hampus Lindholm - A B+
    4. Cory Conacher - A- B+
    5. Michael Hutchinson - F D-
    6. Patrick Maroon - F C-
    7. Derrick Pouliot - A+ B

Team 9
    1. Mikhail Grigorenko - A+ A
    3. Nathan Beaulieu - A B
    3. Joel Armia - C C
    4. Scott Wedgewood - D D
    5. Jared Knight - B C+
    6. Mark Pysyk - B C
    7. Kyle Beach - C C-

Team 10
    1. Teuvo Teravainen - A+ A
    2. Cody Ceci - A B+
    3. Oscar Dansk - B B
    4. Henrik Samuelsson - C C-
    5. Robin Lehner - A+ A+
    6. Beau Bennett - B+ B+
    7. Phillip Di Giuseppe - C C-

Team 11
    1. Evgeny Kuznetsov - A A
    2. Emerson Etem - A B+
    3. Tyler Toffoli - A B+
    4. Tyson Barrie - A B+
    5. Ryan Spooner - B+ B+
    6. Matt Hackett - A+ A-
    7. Tomas Tatar - A B+

Team 12
    1. Griffin Reinhart -B B
    2. Zemgus Girgensons - B+ B+
    3. Nick Cousins - B B-
    4. Tomas Jurco - A B+
    5. Michael Houser - D D
    6. Martin Frk - B+ B
    7. Dalton Thrower - C+ C

Without knowing everyone's team, it's impossible to truly rank each team's draft more accurately. The first grade is how I would grade the quality of pick/player for that round. The second grade is fantasy upside, imo. All " A A " are great picks are bang on for that round, especially with a 12 teams in a 7 round draft. " A B " picks are very good picks.

2, 3,5,7 and 11 did very well, imo. Team 1 starts the next tier. If you're asking me for a clear cut winner,Team 11, especially if they were drafting 11th out of 12. They maximized every pick per round.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    I think you did well, as your first 3 are solid. You could have grabbed Grigorenko over Forsberg arguably, but getting Bjugstad and Rattie where you did was very nice. Would have taken Nelson or Holland over Barberio personally. Didn't like the Glennie pick as there are a number of guys there that I would have preferred, but who knows, maybe you caught lightning in a bottle. Overall I think you and Teams 1 and 3 had the best draft.
    Thanks, I strongly debated between Grigs and Forsberg, but between the Russia risk and the fact that Forsberg should be a winger, I took the Swede. As you can see, Team 1 loves him some Russians! He's swinging for the fences, and I gotta admire that. My High risk player was Glennie. For the draft position, I hope he pays off. Team 3 absolutely stole Gally and Silfverberg. The fact that Silfverberg will have to be called up to his Pro team after 20 games is the only downside (a downside only if Silf isn't tearing it up!).

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    I'll give you some names of prospects that probably should be owned in your league.

Why didn't anyone draft Hertl? He should be picked up immediately.

-Nieto (SJ)
    -Smith (DET)
    -Holtby (probably owned as well)
    -Coyle
    -Ellis
    -Scheifele
    -Rundblad
    -Murphy
    -Merrill
    After re-reading the Prospect eligibility section again after 3 months, I noticed I mis-remembered the rules. In the Pro-draft, you were allowed to draft anyone NOT in this year's draft class, so long as they were in ESPN's database (so that they could be inputted to the league and the commish didn't want to wait for ESPN to update...).

This left players like Silfverberg (dear god I hope I'm spelling his name right!), Schultz, and a few other anomalies available in the Prospect draft.
    So yes, most of those players you listed were taken, with the exception of Hertl, Nieto, and Merrill. Would you drop Glennie or Miller for any of them?

Dobber Sports Stud

I would drop Glennie for Hertl right away. But if you like Glennie more than Miller then I would drop Miller for Hertl. I'm high on him.
    Last edited by vandalay; December 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM.

Recommendation noted. Time to do some research!

One87, That's an impressive effort you made to analyze the draft! Unique approach, thanks!

Thanks for the replies all! It's reason's like this that the Dobberhockey community is second to none, even during (especially during?) a lockout!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Yeah, I would drop Glennie for Hertl as well.

Good luck.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I usually find that prospects are very hard to accurately peg with respect to their "fantasy value".
    In fantasy hockey, a category is a category and PIM is a good thing.
    In fantasy hockey prospect drafts, we all tend to research a player's "NHL value" - as written up by NHL scouts.
    Only in fantasy hockey do we look at guys like Milan Lucic and say "Oh, Lucic is a top 50 (fantasy) player".

So... that said, I'm not sure how well we can really grade these drafts except for looking at the pure-offensive value of the players.

What I'm trying to say is that some teams have some nice players wrt "fantasy value". For example, I think Tom Wilson (Team 1, 3rd round) will be a very nice fantasy hockey player, even if he only puts up 40pts. More valuable than some of higher "rated" prospects that might put up 55-60pts with little PIM and little Hits.

So... while I can't do a full rating (because I think it's too difficult), I really think that Team 1 has to be a run away winner for being lucky enough to land the #1 Yakupov and steal some nice fantasy players... like Tom Wilson.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Short term I'd go with team 3, long term I especially like your team and team 11.

Just wondering: Why are Huberdeau, Bärtschi or Niederreiter not in any farm?
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...