Thread: The "Other" Rookie QB - Russell Wilson

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The "Other" Rookie QB - Russell Wilson

http://blog.playnow.com/nfl-the-othe...ussell-wilson/

My profile of the impressive QB in Seattle - Wilson is probably due for a slight regression, but he has been a massive revelation over past month or two. Bright future ahead.

He was kept on a short leash early in the season from Pete Carroll – Wilson didn’t open up the playbook a lot – the Seahawks leaned heavily on running back Marshawn Lynch, largely neglecting the passing game. Many Seahawks fans wondered if they could qualify for the postseason with a nonexistent passing game. That question isn’t asked any longer.

Wilson is proving that not only can he hold his own in the NFL, but he has that “it” factor that all great athletes possess. He makes the right play at the right time, he steps up his performance in crucial situations, and he is a game-changer. Not bad for a 24-year-old who was playing pro baseball two years ago.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

He's been one helluva nice surprise this year, and has exceeded expectations thus far. But....and this is more my gut than any statistical analysis....I believe of the three (he, RG and Luck), Wilson is more apt to experience a regression next year. Call it a sophmore slump or whatever label you want.

I'm just not convinced he has the raw talent Luck and RG possess in order to be a long term success. Furthermore, I place him in the category of QBs that coaches - having a years-worth of film to dissect - will be able to scheme against with continual success.

He has the heart and drive that any coach would be proud to have in all of his players, but that only gets you so far in this league (ask Flutie). Yes, Flutie had a nice NFL career but he was limited. By extension their coaches are too.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Padawan

I don't know what it is about this guy but I really don't believe he will have a regression next year. There are certain QB's that don't have that elite talent level and in theory should be easier to plan against once enough film is collected. But there are always those guys that thrive in spite of their short comings (no pun intended). Like Montana and Brady before him, this kid has "it".

This years rookie class may shape up to be the best the NFL has ever offered. With the three mentioned already plus the not mentioned enough, Tannehill.

Dobber Sports Initiate

and Weeden.

EDIT: Lets not forget Gabbert either!
    14 Team Dynasty League
    5 C's, 8 W's, 5 D's, 2G's - 3 Prospects.

Scoring
    F: Goals(3) Assists(2)
    D: Goals(4) Assist(3)
    G: W(3) Saves(0.15) Goal Against(-0.75) Shutout(2)

C: Datsyuk, Grabovski, Backstrom, Bergeron, Bozak
    W: Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, P Kane, Hall, Sharp, Kessel, Nash, Silfverberg
    D: Enstrom, Letang, Kronwall, Faulk, Chara
    G: Miller, Price

IR:
    Prospects: Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Shore

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ynotzz View Post
    and Weeden.

EDIT: Lets not forget Gabbert either!

haha, I wish we could include gabbert but he's from the year 2011 draft class

Dobber Sports Initiate

ah true...my bad! Had to be a reason to keep him out!
    14 Team Dynasty League
    5 C's, 8 W's, 5 D's, 2G's - 3 Prospects.

Scoring
    F: Goals(3) Assists(2)
    D: Goals(4) Assist(3)
    G: W(3) Saves(0.15) Goal Against(-0.75) Shutout(2)

C: Datsyuk, Grabovski, Backstrom, Bergeron, Bozak
    W: Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, P Kane, Hall, Sharp, Kessel, Nash, Silfverberg
    D: Enstrom, Letang, Kronwall, Faulk, Chara
    G: Miller, Price

IR:
    Prospects: Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Shore

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default volume

The problem with Wilson is the lack of volume. He has only thrown 30 or more passes 3 times this season. Even with the proverbial handcuffs taken off, he simply does not throw the ball enough to reach QB1 (top 12) status in any given week.

Maybe that changes next season, but for now the Seahawks would much prefer to keep Wilson in the 20-30 range for pass attempts and continue using Marshawn Lynch as the primary engine of the offense.

That's the biggest difference between Wilson and the "big three" of RG3, Luck, and Tannehill. The offense runs through those three guys which is what you want in you fantasy QB

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Yep - I see Wilson being more valuable in real life than fantasy - many examples of players like that in sports.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    Yep - I see Wilson being more valuable in real life than fantasy - many examples of players like that in sports.
    100% agree there.