Page 53 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 63 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Watched some really solid flicks lately... most of these you probably haven't heard of with the exception of Theory, but all solid choices.

-Embrace of the Serpent 9.5/10... as close as it gets to perfection for me. I won't spoil it for you, but let's just say this movie swept all the Indy Film Festivals this year. 99% on Rotten Tomatoes.
    -99 Homes 8/10... very unique story, great acting, gives you a heavy sense for what the reality was during the US housing collapse.
    -Midnight Special 7.5/10... alien movie, but way better than the typical crappy ones
    -Theory of Everything 8/10... I normally don't like these types of movies because they move too slow for me, but this one was fascinating, and I'm not even a Hawking fan

Dobber Sports Giant

Saw X-Men: Apocalypse over the weekend. Not as good as Days of Future Past or even First Class. It does tie in all 3 of these movies though. For some reason, it kinda reminded me of the first Wolverine movie (it had some solid parts, some cheezy parts and some wanting more parts).
    6.5/10

First Class: 8/10
    DOFP: 9/10
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 - 7/10
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 - 9/10
    When the Game Stands Tall - 9/10
    McFarland, USA - 9.5/10
    Walt Before Mickey 8/10

Dobber Sports Pro

In the Heart of the Sea-- 7.5/10, entertaining movie
    Triple 9-- 8/10, fun movie-- definite plot holes but a very solid bank robbery / Training Day-esque movie

Dobber Sports Guru

London has Fallen: Not as good as Olympus has Fallen, but still decent. It is a movie I would probably watch again if it were on TV, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it. I'd give it 3 out of 5.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Giant

I recently watched a couple of movies while on vacation (a few rainy days = a few movies).

First off, Turbo Kid was one that I had heard good things about. It took me a good 20 mins to really understand where this movie was going (serious but cheezy or purposely made that way to highlight the 80's era). I decided it was the later and therefore I enjoyed it. The 80's synth-heavy soundtrack combined with the cheap but gory effects takes this Mad Max-esque tale to respectable heights. Just don't go expecting great visuals/acting/effects/storyline... hmmm what's left then? A: an homage to the 80's movie/video game era!! For those of you that have seen Drive and Mad Max, this movie is like their infant love-child.
    7/10

The other movie I got to catch was Seal Team-6, The Raid on Osama Bin Laden. Although it was no ''Zero Dark Thirty'' or ''13 Hours'', it was still a decent war movie with OK acting. Fabricated events or not, it was entertaining and had good visuals for a low-budget movie.
    7/10
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Genius

Want to see this one - heard only good things. lol @ 42 seconds.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    Want to see this one - heard only good things. lol @ 42 seconds.
    I actually bought it at Walmart recently in their cheapo-bin ($4.88 I think) since i too had heard good reviews about it. I should be watching it shortly;I'll post my feedback here after

Minors:

Dobber Sports Jedi

Can't recall the last time I sat down and watched a whole movie. A couple documentaries I've watched lately have been fantastic - "The Resurrection of Jake 'the snake' Roberts was awesome... DDP is a fantastic dude. And 'The Seven-Five' crookedist cop ever? That was amazing. highly recommend! Both on Netflix
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

The Invitation-- 8.5/10; very fun slow-burn horror/suspense flick. It's predictable at times, but that does not make it any less enjoyable.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    The Invitation-- 8.5/10; very fun slow-burn horror/suspense flick. It's predictable at times, but that does not make it any less enjoyable.
    Looks good - I'll check that one out - thanks!

Dobber Sports Master

The Big Short - 8.5

Stylistically it is a little different, but for sheer mind-blowing 'shit-this-is-real-edness', wow.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Genius

Anybody want to chime in on recent flicks? I'm going to get back on the horse in August - I've seen little lately - too much of Trump/Clinton at night.

Bad Words remains atop my list.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Just saw Star Trek - Beyond last night. In prep, we re-watched the first two Pine/Quinto reboots. I think they have done a great job with these, but before we saw Beyond, I told my wife that I hoped they didn't turn it into just another action movie franchise. There is nothing I hate worse than an action movie with no story. When you look at the two TV series (OST & TNG), there was plenty of room for diplomacy, discovery & mystery stories that were built around story and not action. Examples are the episodes "The Conscience of the King" and "The Mark of Gideon" in OST and "Darmok" and "The Inner Light" on TNG (really geeky that I know these names). I was pleasantly surprised with Beyond. It was an action movie, but was supported by a strong story. The one part I didn't buy was at the beginning, when they've been out in space for three years and are bored as hell. There was constant adventure in discovery in all the other series.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I actually bought it at Walmart recently in their cheapo-bin ($4.88 I think) since i too had heard good reviews about it. I should be watching it shortly;I'll post my feedback here after
    I ended up watching Bad Words over the weekend. It's not the greatest comedy, but it does have it's moments with Bateman's raw replies. It has some weird, awkward and dark parts but it ties into the story of Bateman's character. I give it a good 7.5/10.

I also got to watch Blended with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. It's a cute comedy about a ''blended'' couple with their respective families having to spend a dream vacation together although their aren't found of each other. Not the greatest Adam Sandler comedy, but not his worst. Sandler and Barrymore share a great connection that they have portrayed before (50 First Dates and The Wedding Singer) and the addition of funny cameos gives this flick a better than expected grade. 7/10

Lastly, I started watching Only God Forgives with Ryan Gosling. I loooooved Drive even though it was different and had long awkward silences, but this Nicolas Winding Refn (same director as Drive) movie was so confusing and weird that I stopped it 30 minutes in. I guess I will give it another shot soon, but I just couldn't get into it. Did any of you see it and if so, did you enjoy it?

Minors: