Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Positive Lockout News?

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Sure, this is true.
    And justifiable too.
    If I own a team, and the largest chunk of costs in running that team pushes me into the red, I want that money back. Or at least adjust the business model going forward to prevent future losses. As an owner, I should be the one who is assured of a profit. Not the player.
    Then as an owner you (a) should meet with all your other owners and agree upon a clear objective for the league as a whole and the best way to achieve it, or (b) every owner acts in their own best interests, and if that means you lose a franchise along the way then so be it.

Pick one.
    Dobber Football
    @DobberFootball
    smitty@dobberfootball.com

Go sell crazy somewhere else. We're all stocked up here.

Dobber Sports Pro

I wish the fans would form their own 'union'. Want to see real power? Fans can dictate anything as a group. Unfortunately not realistic but one can dream.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
    I wish the fans would form their own 'union'. Want to see real power? Fans can dictate anything as a group. Unfortunately not realistic but one can dream.
    The only 'union' that the fans can form is to move on to something else.
    Send me a PM if you have any issues or requests for Frozen Pool!

UHL Calgary Flames
    24-team H2H Roto Dynasty (G, A, GWG, SHP, PPP, PIM, +/, SOG, Hits, Blks, FOW, W, SV, SV%, GAA, SO)

Eastern Edge article archive

Find me on Twitter for questions and chatter @DH_EricDaoust.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    The only 'union' that the fans can form is to move on to something else.
    I don't agree. With social media the fans could easily organize a movement. Create some guidelines to follow:
    #1 Attend half the games you normally attend. (I would suggest no games but that is not realistic for many.)
    #2 Do not purchase ANY food or drink while at the games. If you must buy beer, drink half as much.
    #3 Do not purchase any jerseys, t-shirts, hats, or any other NHL merchandise.
    #4 Do not wear any NHL Clothing unless you are attending a game.
    #5 Do not purchase NHL Center Ice.
    #6 Quit following the NHL on Facebook and Twitter.
    #7 Never visit NHL.com

For how long? Until the next CBA agreement occurs that does not include a lockout.
    Salary Cap/Dynasty 2014 and 2015 B2B Champion
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%
    C- Tavares, Getzlaf, Backstrom, Turris, Bjugstad
    RW- Perry, Carter, Gaborik, Nyquist, Nichushkin, Vrbata
    LW- Duchene, Kucherov, Huberdeau, Cammallari, Teräväinen, Downie
    D- Karlsson, Hedman, Phaneuf, Muzzin, Enstrom, Trouba, Ellis, Demers
    G- Dubnyk, Halak, Howard, Hiller, Lack, Darling

Farm- Duclair, Pastrnak, Lazar, Jaskin, ALee, Pétan,

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky71 View Post
    Really ... work stoppage lasted half a season way back in 1994, and no work stopages since. Meanwhile there have been 4 shut downs in the NHL since 1992.
    Loss of World Series and loss of fans that some teams never recovered from (buh bye Expos). It was a total gongshow and an embarassment.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pts9889 View Post
    I don't agree. With social media the fans could easily organize a movement. Create some guidelines to follow:
    #1 Attend half the games you normally attend. (I would suggest no games but that is not realistic for many.)
    #2 Do not purchase ANY food or drink while at the games. If you must buy beer, drink half as much.
    #3 Do not purchase any jerseys, t-shirts, hats, or any other NHL merchandise.
    #4 Do not wear any NHL Clothing unless you are attending a game.
    #5 Do not purchase NHL Center Ice.
    #6 Quit following the NHL on Facebook and Twitter.
    #7 Never visit NHL.com

For how long? Until the next CBA agreement occurs that does not include a lockout.
    The idea is a good one but it just doesn't work that way. People want their convenience in the moment. If they are at the games, they will buy food and drinks as they see fit without even realizing who they are in fact supporting. If a new sensation comes along the people will buy the jersey and buy NHL Center Ice to see that player in action. People don't want to give up their season tickets because there is a waiting list and dropping them now means probably never getting any again (heard several people call into NHL radio with this exact statement).

Social media movements are just a drop in the bucket. People will do what they want when that moment comes. Those who are really going to boycott the NHL have done so already by moving on to something else.

UHL Calgary Flames
    24-team H2H Roto Dynasty (G, A, GWG, SHP, PPP, PIM, +/, SOG, Hits, Blks, FOW, W, SV, SV%, GAA, SO)

Miller's full text, for what it's worth...

“The owners wanted to leave the room and pull everything we spent a full day on. I asked them to stay and continue pushing through. I may have been passionate but there was no disrespect or calling out one owner by name. I have a lot of respect for any owner because they are a big part of hockey.

“I wanted more than anything to make a deal but we are not professional negotiators. We as players didn’t have the experience or authority to make a final deal. We were trying to responsibly move this process forward as best we could. If anyone thinks that we did wrong by the game or by the fans then they are misinformed. We have a responsibility to about 750 players and we made moves approved by them and thinking about them.”
    Dobber Football
    @DobberFootball
    smitty@dobberfootball.com

Go sell crazy somewhere else. We're all stocked up here.

Dobber Sports Stud

Social media movements are just a drop in the bucket. People will do what they want when that moment comes. Those who are really going to boycott the NHL have done so already by moving on to something else.
    ^ This, being angry about the NHL lockout and saying you have no further interest in the NHL are mutually exclusive.

If you are really done then leave this site and worry about your job, kids, or your other hobbies instead of hockey. I'm getting there and its not that bad.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 7) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team:

Dobber Sports Pro

The idea is a good one but it just doesn't work that way. People want their convenience in the moment. If they are at the games, they will buy food and drinks as they see fit without even realizing who they are in fact supporting. If a new sensation comes along the people will buy the jersey and buy NHL Center Ice to see that player in action. People don't want to give up their season tickets because there is a waiting list and dropping them now means probably never getting any again (heard several people call into NHL radio with this exact statement).

When MLB lost the World Series in 1994, attendance went down 25% and there has not been any more work stoppages. I hope the conclusion is not that hockey fans are not smart enough or motivated enough to understand how their behavior empowers the greed of the owners and players. Fans need to hold owners accountable and not allow them to take the fans for granted.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    ^ This, being angry about the NHL lockout and saying you have no further interest in the NHL are mutually exclusive.

If you are really done then leave this site and worry about your job, kids, or your other hobbies instead of hockey. I'm getting there and its not that bad.
    I've said it before, but when I stopped following the Toronto Raptors I didn't do a bunch of online petitions about the team being a dump and I didn't do Facebook groups to boycott the team. I just stopped watching and moved on. I used to go to one game per year, and I've had a half dozen chances to go since that point. I refused every time.

Those who take the time to bitch about it online are people who want it to be better, not people who want it to go away.

UHL Calgary Flames

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post

You can also still enjoy hockey without financially supporting the league. I'll still watch as much hockey as I can, participate in fantasy hockey, and discuss the league in forums such as this one but my days of going to a half dozen games a year and having more than half of my t-shirts, sweatshirts, and hats representing the Blackhawks are over.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Loss of World Series and loss of fans that some teams never recovered from (buh bye Expos). It was a total gongshow and an embarassment.

That was a real shame 18 years ago. Have to give them credit for getting it right since then.

The NHL on the other hand is on it's 4th work stoppage since 1992, and has already lost a full season including the Stanley cup playoffs back in 04, and they might be willing to do it again. They might consider taking a cue from Albert Einstein

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Dobber Sports Novice

Default the fans need a voice!

Attention all Fans: we need to be heard when this is all over I suggested at the opening puck drop of the each teams home opener we all rise and Boo for the first 5 min of the game. this would be loud and clear message that Collectively we are mad at both the players and owners. lets face it I love the game I just am really pissed at the people involved in it right now.

what do you think? bet we could with twitter and social media get some sort of thing out there?

The players and owner need to remember who's dollar they are fighting over...

send it out to all your friends

Thanks from Oilers rock 99

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Oilers rock 99 View Post
    Attention all Fans: we need to be heard when this is all over I suggested at the opening puck drop of the each teams home opener we all rise and Boo for the first 5 min of the game. this would be loud and clear message that Collectively we are mad at both the players and owners. lets face it I love the game I just am really pissed at the people involved in it right now.

what do you think? bet we could with twitter and social media get some sort of thing out there?

The players and owner need to remember who's dollar they are fighting over...

send it out to all your friends

Thanks from Oilers rock 99
    Meh. The only thing the NHL will care about is money. You can boo every second of every game and it still wouldn't matter as long as you're paying them.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Meh. The only thing the NHL will care about is money. You can boo every second of every game and it still wouldn't matter as long as you're paying them.
    Yep. Now if you stand outside the stadium for free and boo them, that will have an impact.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast