Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Positive Lockout News?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Lockout 2020! Gary's new campaign slogan.

Speaking of which, was anyone else's first reaction to the league's desire for a 10 year CBA that they want it as long as possible to ensure they'll never have to deal with either Fehr again?

Quote Originally Posted by rangersfury View Post
    Lockout 2020! Gary's new campaign slogan.

Speaking of which, was anyone else's first reaction to the league's desire for a 10 year CBA that they want it as long as possible to ensure they'll never have to deal with either Fehr again?
    Also locks players down, assuming the owners get the contract and FA eligibility terms they desire.
    @SmittysRant

Banned

I don't care what anyone says, this lockout has been entertaining. Guy Serota, the podium!

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    If they "can and do"... why would they get a warning not to ???

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet

Was just told by an NHL Coach, that since @RealKyper reported Coaches contacting players, the teams have been warned to cease and desist
    So that they don't muck anything up? The last thing you need at this stage of negiotiations is an over excited coach stepping over his bounds and destroying leverage one way or another during the midnight hour of the proposals.

In other words, wait for the ink to dry before you open your big mouth.
    In too many leagues for too much money to put my teams in my signature anymore

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but with a lockout such as this, one that has delayed and cancelled games re-creating a new schedule, operations and media partners all have to be coordinated and finalized before being announced to the public.
    This is typically why media partners such as your Fox Sports and Comcasts know about the end of lockouts before the public, but are silenced by confidentiality agreements.
    Once the lockout is lifted by the NHL Owners and the NHLPA, we will not hear (in the general public) that the lockout has ended until buildings are re-scheduled, media terms and agreements are re-issued, and third parties are notified. Once all of that is on the same page, they will make a big announcement to the public. Basically we won't know until the T's are crossed and the I's are dotted.
    In too many leagues for too much money to put my teams in my signature anymore

Dobber Sports Icon

Pleaaaaase get me some hockey so I don't feel compelled to wake up at 4 in the morning for the WJHC to get my fill of live hockey.
    ...i am still getting up at 4:00AM to watch this stuff...gotta love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Also, correct me if I am wrong, but with a lockout such as this, one that has delayed and cancelled games re-creating a new schedule, operations and media partners all have to be coordinated and finalized before being announced to the public.
    This is typically why media partners such as your Fox Sports and Comcasts know about the end of lockouts before the public, but are silenced by confidentiality agreements.
    Once the lockout is lifted by the NHL Owners and the NHLPA, we will not hear (in the general public) that the lockout has ended until buildings are re-scheduled, media terms and agreements are re-issued, and third parties are notified. Once all of that is on the same page, they will make a big announcement to the public. Basically we won't know until the T's are crossed and the I's are dotted.
    Interesting. Never thought of that, but makes sense.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    You're incorrect. There are so many media folks watching every aspect of these negotiations, that any change in mood, or end to meetings would be heavily reported on. It's not like they would reach a secret agreement, then pretend to continue to meet to fool everyone. In the world of twitter, we'll know almost as soon as the signees to the deal know.

In 2011's NBA lockout, as soon as there was a tentative deal on November 26, the world knew about it. December 1 players were allowed to come back, December 8 it was ratified, and the season started on December 25th. The season was originally scheduled to start November 1, and the season went from 82 games to 66.
    Last edited by thatbirdguy; December 6, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
    Setting up the play.

Administrator

Smart phones, social media, anonymous sources... the word would get out quickly.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah we live in a world with too many moving parts to try and keep stuff quiet like that.

They are still working on things so that's as good as we can hope for right now.

Dobber Sports Wizard

League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Administrator

I think the players are at a point that they just want to gain something out of all of this. Hence the "moving target" references made today. If the players can't get A, then they will try to get B and/or C.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I think the players are at a point that they just want to gain something out of all of this. Hence the "moving target" references made today. If the players can't get A, then they will try to get B and/or C.
    I agree. It's a shame that it has taken this long just to get to that point. Hopefully things pick up rapidly -- fingers crossed.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Guru

Are mediators a good sign here? I remember reading that mediation is most beneficial with the smaller details -- which might imply they are close enough to get some help on the little things?

I'm probably just over-optimistic.

Ugh.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Are mediators a good sign here? I remember reading that mediation is most beneficial with the smaller details -- which might imply they are close enough to get some help on the little things?

I'm probably just over-optimistic.

Ugh.
    Removing Bettman and Fehr - 2 layers separating the players and owners (those who really matter) - produced the best results. IMO mediators are just another layer of complication that could slow things down.

I think the reasoning probably ties into the players feeling like they are receiving nothing back. Maybe they think a mediator can convince the owners' side on something.