Thread: Edler's back issue

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Edler's back issue

I own Edler in a keeper points league and read this:

(12/3/12) Alexander Edler continues to rehab his back but according to Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province, surgery has not been ruled out. Edler has had back problems throughout his NHL career and they flared up once again in September. Had there been a hockey season, Edler would still be out of action. Edler's back woes are a big concern to the Canucks as they chose not to re-sign him before the September 15 lockout. Should free agency remain the same once both sides settle, he can become a free agent after the 2012-13 season. He is a very good offensive defenseman but his long term back problems have to be a concern.

Are you guys worried like me ?

Should I try trading him in a combo deal for a similar defensemen ?

Let me know what you think about this situation.

Cheers

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by GelFlow View Post
    I own Edler in a keeper points league and read this:

(12/3/12) Alexander Edler continues to rehab his back but according to Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province, surgery has not been ruled out. Edler has had back problems throughout his NHL career and they flared up once again in September. Had there been a hockey season, Edler would still be out of action. Edler's back woes are a big concern to the Canucks as they chose not to re-sign him before the September 15 lockout. Should free agency remain the same once both sides settle, he can become a free agent after the 2012-13 season. He is a very good offensive defenseman but his long term back problems have to be a concern.

Are you guys worried like me ?

Should I try trading him in a combo deal for a similar defensemen ?

Let me know what you think about this situation.

Cheers

I AM NOW!!!!! Thanks!

I'm fully aware of Edler's wonky back...but didn't realize its once again an issue for him. As a fellow Edler owner and investor...I too am interested in the consensus here!

Dobber Sports Ace

Edler has a herniated disc, like Alfreddsson 2 years ago. He tried to rehab, but needed surgery, and came back good last year.

The players are likely just afraid of surgery beside the spinal cord, small risk of complications (eg paralysis)
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    Edler has a herniated disc, like Alfreddsson 2 years ago. He tried to rehab, but needed surgery, and came back good last year.

The players are likely just afraid of surgery beside the spinal cord, small risk of complications (eg paralysis)
    SO...is this ANOTHER HERNIATION since surgery? The Sept injury I mean.

Dobber Sports Giant

guys gotta get surgery. this would have been a good off season for it with the extended break. some players seem to nurse injuries/re-injur year after year and it seems to me(based off nothing scientific) that when they finnaly get the surgery they become better players.
    just get it done.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Star

Very good points already - he will need surgery and until then he will suffer through it or miss significant time.

Time to ship him if you can IMO. He will likely be fine after surgery and is an awesome offensive D, but if you are hoping to contend, then now is the time.

I shipped him and JVR for Chara and St. Louis and love every second of it. Now may be a good time to snatch up Bieksa or even cheaper, Hamhuis, as both Garrison and Edler may be on the shelf to start the season.

GL
    Last edited by loco man; December 5, 2012 at 2:12 PM.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Stud

There's some speculation (including in today's ramblings) that Kesler's agent's recent statements that his clien could be out for months more has more to do with ensuring he keeps collecting a paycheck during the lockout than Kesler's actualy health.

I heard some speculation along similar lines regarding Edler on Team 1040 (Vancouver radio) recently, with the suggestion that this may be the Canucks endearing themselves to him by paying him during the lockout in the hopes that it will entice him to take a discount on an extension. If this line of thinking is accurate, then it would necessarily mean that he ins't as injured as the public is being led to believe.

I don't have any facts to go on and I'm not making any statements one way or the other. Just thought people may be interested by this.
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
    There's some speculation (including in today's ramblings) that Kesler's agent's recent statements that his clien could be out for months more has more to do with ensuring he keeps collecting a paycheck during the lockout than Kesler's actualy health.

I heard some speculation along similar lines regarding Edler on Team 1040 (Vancouver radio) recently, with the suggestion that this may be the Canucks endearing themselves to him by paying him during the lockout in the hopes that it will entice him to take a discount on an extension. If this line of thinking is accurate, then it would necessarily mean that he ins't as injured as the public is being led to believe.

I don't have any facts to go on and I'm not making any statements one way or the other. Just thought people may be interested by this.
    Even without facts to support, raising it as a possibility is perfectly legit. Extending the recovery period is in the players & agents best interest. If they didn't have any intention on playing, why would they rush.

Not saying that is definitely the case, and it may very well not be. But it is a possibility.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I could see managment trying to talk edler into that aswell because of his contract ending soon. Looks bad in the eyes of potential suitors.
    ***2014/2017 Points only League Champion***
    Our league is a 10 team, 12 player keeper. Weekly H2H
    Points only. Dress - 4 LW 4 C 4 RW 6 D 2 G
    Weight - G= 2 A= 1 Hatty =3 W = 2 So=3 OTL=1
    Keepers - Giroux, Ovechkin, Backstrom(C), Tarasenko, Malkin, Wheeler, -- Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo -- Rask, Schneider, Talbot

Dobber Sports Stud

Edler cleared to play (were there to be games to play) but his back is still an issue.

http://www.theprovince.com/mobile/ne...552/story.html

He makes the point that it was sore and stiff last year and he still managed to play 82 games (and put up 49 points).
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."