Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Going Gluten Free: Yay or Nay?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hey Ross,

I just checked Google Scholar for gluten and lung congestion.

The articles I could find did connect gluten and lung congestion but only in relation to celiac disease (which was never in dispute here), or related to allergies (which is connected to sensitivities and I admitted should be taken into account as well).

Am seriously interested in any peer-reviewed articles you might have that connect gluten and non-celiac related lung congestion. I love research so let me know. I have found nothing yet like you claim, but perhaps they are there.

I do agree that the scientific literature in this area is not complete - but that's precisely the point of continuing to do more study - not a reason to then assume that there must be some sort of link.

Could there be health benefits to going gluten free that are as of yet undiscovered through the scientific process? Absolutely. Until such time that we have proof of that though it's only responsible (particularly for those presenting their opinions as heath suggestions etc) to not treat the gap in knowledge as support for a belief, but only as what it is - a gap in our knowledge that needs more study.

Gluten sensitivity is real (and different from celiac disease) but it's not well understood and more study needs to be done to try and determine to what degree it has an effect and to what level of the population.

I'm sorry but personal stories of changed health, while interesting and encouraging, are not science. They are anecdotes. Acedotes are why people buy power band bracelets and think sugar pills can cure cancer as well. Anecdotes COULD mean there is a relationship, but could also mean nothing. So .... enter the world of research to try and answer the questions and save us all from wasting time and money on useless diets or fads OR to guide us towards making healthier choices in areas that are legitimately needed.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    No cure for stupid.
    Despite your name calling, allow me to reiterate so that we are all clear.

Unless you have celiac disease, are gluten intolerant (similar...no gut damage), or have a wheat allergy, there is no need to be on a GF diet.

However, those individuals who are on a GF diet, by design are avoiding processed/junk foods that contain gluten. Consequently, they will lose some weight. Doughnuts, Take-out foods, prepacked meals, pre-made meat products etc...all contain gluten as a binding agent, or in gravy, sauces, or glazes.

All of these foods too are very high in fats and sugars. A point which i previously addressed and you previously avoided.

That bakery you linked too, their items are made fresh (ie, with fresh/raw ingredients) - which is theme I have been advocating throughout this thread...if you were paying attention.

Now if you can point to any of the above FACTS as being incorrect, please. I am all ears.....
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Pro

I lost my access to many databases when my laptop died (I frequented Medscape and JSTOR among others) and sadly have not bothered to figure out my info to log in on my ipad from my old keychain. I did find this scholarly article on the overall topic:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/1215/p2259.html

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Pro

Here's one more specific to the lungs:

http://thorax.bmj.com/content/57/1/91.full

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Ninja

I saw the second one already (specifically deals with celiac) and the first one also deals with celiac. Good articles but it is an area we are already in agreement on

Dobber Sports Pro

Fair enough. I retract my comment and apologize. And agree to disagree.

Here is a bit of insight into what we did, probably the approach i should have taken.

90% of the meat we eat comes from something I kill - this year i have deer, moose and elk in my freezer. Halibut and Salmon I caught fishing.

We cut out bread - including whole wheat. So burgers without buns, no toast in the morning.
    We did not cut out cheddar cheese.
    I switched from beer to Gin.
    My wife switched from Dad's cookies to a gluten free brand of cookies
    switched to rice crackers
    I now buy a gluten free brand of pancake mix
    We buy gluten free pizza crust.
    We use a gluten free rice pasta.
    We switched to corn tortilla's.
    I use rice flour when i make stuff like Banana bread.

My wife no longer has bad diarrhea.
    That is the results of our diet change.

If you have time read this interview form Maclean's Magazine.http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/09/20/o...y/#more-215040

this piece is interesting:

National Institutes of Health researchers showed that gluten-derived polypeptides can cross into the brain and bind to the brain’s opiate receptors. So you get this mild euphoria after eating a product made with whole wheat. You can block that effect [in lab animals] by administering the drug naloxone. This is the same drug that you’re given if you’re a heroin addict; it’s an opiate blocker. About three months ago, a drug company applied to the FDA to commercialize naltrexone, which is an oral equivalent to naloxone. And it works, apparently, it blocks the pleasurable feelings you get from eating wheat so people stop eating so much. In clinical trials, people lost about 22.4 lb. in the first six months. Why, if you’re not a drug addict, do you need something like that? And of course there’s another option, which is to cut wheat out of your diet. However, and this is another argument for classifying wheat as addictive, people can experience some pretty unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Pro

my point is we have always had a diet with little processed food, we simply cut out wheat and we noticed a difference.
    Rebuilding

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    VA,

My mom has Crohn's and if this is true I would love to help her out. Do you have scientific studies that have connected gluten free diets and Crohn's?
    Tell her to check out The Specific Carbohydrate Diet by Elaine Gotschall and The Paleo Diet. She'll find research and reasoning in those books.

Grains are inflammatory. If you eliminate gluten / grains from your diet and you suffer from ANY inflammatory or autoimmune disease, that goes for eczema, psoriasis, arthritis, etc. I guarantee you will find SOME benefit. It's not just Crohn's and Celiac's, Bomm. My dad gets bad skin rashes (eczema type stuff) and when I got him to eliminate gluten, his problems decreased significantly. He used to have to put prescribed lotion on.

I would tell her to do a ton of research on Crohn's and diet on the internet as well. I have done countless hours of research and it has helped me become more well informed and more in tune with my body.

Like I've said before, just because you don't have a black and white ALLERGY doesn't necessarily mean you don't have a SENSITIVITY! (Stupid double negatives)
    Last edited by Veritas0Aequitas; December 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

Now the paleo stuff has come up. I'm going to back away from this thread now.

Jeff,

Looking forward to your next few articles. Keep it up.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks. Happy to spark a healthy debate. The community is great here - for the most part things don't fall of the rails. Obviously different points of view here.

Cheers.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Expert

I'm enjoying the back and forth here. The only thing I have interest in reading these days without hockey is lockout rumours and the always popular..."What are the good beer drinkers drinking" famous thread.

I'm currently at Day 4 of a cleanse/diet that basically cuts out all gluten based products (as well as a lot of other things I'm currently missing). I workout regularly, play hockey, and run, and eat a well balanced diet. My wife wanted to try this out before we head to Maui and I thought I'.d give it a go to show support.

So far, I haven't noticed a huge difference. I felt a bit lethargic at hockey yesterday, but overall feel pretty good. I certainly miss a lot of the stuff I can't have, but I have found rice and corn pasta to be an edible alternative for flour based pasta. I really miss beer. I can see making a few changes to the diet once we're finished, and cutting down on the amount of gluten we eat will be one of them.

Great article!
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by bumchilly25 View Post
    I'm enjoying the back and forth here. The only thing I have interest in reading these days without hockey is lockout rumours and the always popular..."What are the good beer drinkers drinking" famous thread.

I'm currently at Day 4 of a cleanse/diet that basically cuts out all gluten based products (as well as a lot of other things I'm currently missing). I workout regularly, play hockey, and run, and eat a well balanced diet. My wife wanted to try this out before we head to Maui and I thought I'.d give it a go to show support.

So far, I haven't noticed a huge difference. I felt a bit lethargic at hockey yesterday, but overall feel pretty good. I certainly miss a lot of the stuff I can't have, but I have found rice and corn pasta to be an edible alternative for flour based pasta. I really miss beer. I can see making a few changes to the diet once we're finished, and cutting down on the amount of gluten we eat will be one of them.

Great article!
    Thanks BC - and enjoy Maui. My favorite spot on earth.

Banned

What works for me is the liquids you drink. I cut out all caffeine about 5 months ago and it really does wonders. Now all I drink is water with every meal. It helps you sleep better and feel better, I find.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    What works for me is the liquids you drink. I cut out all caffeine about 5 months ago and it really does wonders. Now all I drink is water with every meal. It helps you sleep better and feel better, I find.
    Yea, water is crucial and most people don't drink nearly enough.

Coffee is fine in moderation - coffee and caffeine are not one in the same. I have cut down from four cups of coffee to one cup and a maybe some green tea and I have noticed that I sleep a lot better.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    ya more water is a good step,
    i have trouble eating properly when i am on the road for work eating out all the time, i now always order water with my meals where before i would order coke.
    Rebuilding

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer