View Poll Results: Kulikov, B.Smith or trade for OEL?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kulikov

7 43.75%
  • B. Smith

2 12.50%
  • Trade 1 of above and Jeff Carter for OEL?

7 43.75%

Thread: B. Smith or Kulikov or Trade for OEL?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default B. Smith or Kulikov or Trade for OEL?

Considering my team below (14 player keeper)...and cats... What would you recommend for my 4th keeper defenceman behind Doughty, Edler and Phaneuf...

Kulikov
    B. Smith

Or package one and Jeff Carter for OEL?

I'm thinking we may not have a season...so trying to move tangible assets that I may not keep to strengthen my positions...may be a prudent move...if it makes sense.

Thoughts?

Initially wanted to target Piet...but don't think he's attainable.

Dobber Sports Ninja

As high as I am on OEL, I don't think you should trade Jeff Carter in that kind of format. He's a ROTO beast.

I'd try to package Kulikov (who's worthless in ROTO) with Voracek or Flash instead.

Dobber Sports Pro

I would hold onto Kulikov and Carter.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    As high as I am on OEL, I don't think you should trade Jeff Carter in that kind of format. He's a ROTO beast.

I'd try to package Kulikov (who's worthless in ROTO) with Voracek or Flash instead.
    Blayze....help me understand. Why is Kulikov worthless in Roto?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post

In a league including SOG, Carter definitely gets a nice boost to value. But the OP doesn't list SOG as a stat in his league....he's pretty much a one category player in this league (points) and I don't necessarily like the direction his scoring has been going, and playing in super defensive LA won't help.

I would gladly package one of those two d-men plus Carter for OEL. If Kulikov could stay healthy I'd keep him but injuries look like they might just always be an issue with him. And although Smith might fill out a lot of categories someday, it's too early to take a chance on him.

OEL is already arguably the most valuable player from this group, and in short time should be the best player, as well.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Pro

Without SOG, I'd trade Carter and Smith/Kulikov for OEL.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    Same here. OEL is a stud. Go get him if you have a chance to do it.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    exactly my thoughts.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default POINTS ONLY...NOT ROTO (CRAP!...Sorry Boys)

My Bad. I never updated my signature. This is a Points Only league...NOT ROTO.

and Applicable Cats:
    (Points) 6
    (+/-) 3
    (PIM) 1
    (PPP) 5
    (GWG) 5
    Goaltenders
    (W) 15
    (GA) -10
    (SV) 1
    (SHO) 15

Does change things?

Sorry for the mix up.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I'd happily move Carter and Smith or Kulikov for Ekman-Larsson. If given the choice between moving Kulikov or Smith I'd move Kulikov.

Have you given any thought to shopping Halak and keeping Backstrom? I know it sounds crazy and it's not what you asked in the first place, but it's something to think about. If GAA and Sv% were included I'd never even think about it. With your categories Backstrom scored 489 points last year to Halak's 701. A 212 point difference. They both played the same amount of games (46), facing an average of less than 30 shots per game (28 per for Backstrom and 26 per for Halak).

Here's my reasoning: the Wild's team defense will improve with Parise, Suter and Granlund in the fold, and so will their offense. That means that they'll be giving up fewer quality chances and scoring more, and will therefore win more games. Barring injury, Backstrom will also start more games than last year, meaning still more points. The last time Backstrom played more than 70 games he was almost a 1000 point player with your set up. His wins weren't great last year, but his Sv% and GAA were the best they've been in the last 3 years and they've been trending up. I think it's only a matter of time until his other numbers start to reflect that.

Halak, on the other hand, is in a pontoon situation and will probably end up around the same GP totals as last year. I'd say he's a pretty solid bet to finish around where he did last year points-wise, but unless he starts 60+ games I'd be surprised if he could do much better. Because his GAA and sv% were so awesome I think there's a general perception that Halak is more valuable than he is in reality. Especially in a league like yours he's probably more highly thought of than he should be. If the Elliott owner needs nother goalie I think that's a great opportunity to upgrade elsewhere. At the very least I would shop him around and see what's out there.

It's definitely a risk, but I think it could pay off huge if I've read the tea leaves correctly.
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by bizzl View Post
    I'd happily move Carter and Smith or Kulikov for Ekman-Larsson. If given the choice between moving Kulikov or Smith I'd move Kulikov.

Have you given any thought to shopping Halak and keeping Backstrom? I know it sounds crazy and it's not what you asked in the first place, but it's something to think about. If GAA and Sv% were included I'd never even think about it. With your categories Backstrom scored 489 points last year to Halak's 701. A 212 point difference. They both played the same amount of games (46), facing an average of less than 30 shots per game (28 per for Backstrom and 26 per for Halak).

Here's my reasoning: the Wild's team defense will improve with Parise, Suter and Granlund in the fold, and so will their offense. That means that they'll be giving up fewer quality chances and scoring more, and will therefore win more games. Barring injury, Backstrom will also start more games than last year, meaning still more points. The last time Backstrom played more than 70 games he was almost a 1000 point player with your set up. His wins weren't great last year, but his Sv% and GAA were the best they've been in the last 3 years and they've been trending up. I think it's only a matter of time until his other numbers start to reflect that.

Halak, on the other hand, is in a pontoon situation and will probably end up around the same GP totals as last year. I'd say he's a pretty solid bet to finish around where he did last year points-wise, but unless he starts 60+ games I'd be surprised if he could do much better. Because his GAA and sv% were so awesome I think there's a general perception that Halak is more valuable than he is in reality. Especially in a league like yours he's probably more highly thought of than he should be. If the Elliott owner needs nother goalie I think that's a great opportunity to upgrade elsewhere. At the very least I would shop him around and see what's out there.

It's definitely a risk, but I think it could pay off huge if I've read the tea leaves correctly.
    I wouldn't necessarily disagree with this strategy, however:

1) Backstrom is a well-known band-aid boy, and his particular injuries, mostly groins, terrify me since goalie groins get a lot of work (in games. They get a lot of work in games. Stop it.). Plus, he's going to be 34 this year. I don't trust him very much.

2) I'm not sure I understand the hockey world's complete reversal of opinion on Brian Elliott. He was mediocre at best prior to last season, had his magical year, then resumed mediocrity in the playoffs. I don't buy it. People will reference Hitchcock's system, but that conveniently ignores the beginning of Steve Mason's collapse, which happened during Hitchcock's final season in Columbus. The system helps, but you don't go from a .900 SV% to a .940 overnight, I don't care who your coach is. I'm not buying it, which means I'm putting Halak down for 55+ starts this year. Am I wrong? Possibly, but the data I have show Halak to be a better goalie than Elliott.

3) This is where knowing whether the league is a daily vs. weekly lineups might be important. If it's daily, you can swap out Halak when he doesn't start for a goalie who may have slightly less value than Backstrom would in the same situation. But if you're a believer in Backstrom's health and are in a weekly league, then that extra start per week would probably make it worthwhile to keep Backstrom.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by bizzl View Post

Interesting take.

My biggest concerns about your angles are as follows.

1) Halak is in a PLATOON situation primarily because he was injured last year and Elliot had an opportunity to shine. A Healthy Halak equals 65 to 70 starts in my opinion. Elliot had a career year last year...but his previous 2 seasons where sub par to say the least...and then 3 years ago...he was lights out for Ottawa. Don't like that Trend...rather...I do like that trend to fall in Halak's favor and be the undisputed #1 this year (when ever we start)

2) Backstrom is a career BAB. yes he's very good when he's healthy and playing...but like the wind blows on Elliot's seasons...so to do they blow on Backstrom's health. He is in a contract year right now...so this is his time to shine...but alas, we're not playing...and I think I saw that he hurt his other ankle just before he was to be dispatched to the KHL. Case in point.

3) I think Halak's value will far exceed Backstrom right now an in to the future. That said...refocusing my efforts from OEL (keeping Kulikov or Smith) and trying to move Halak a/o Backstrom and one of Kulikov/Smith and Carter to get an upgrade in net over Halak...may not be a bad idea.

Point taken sir! But either way...I don't believe Backstrom for Halak is a step forward for me.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Trade 1 of above and Jeff Carter for OEL
    Roster Requirements
    (2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 3 F, 4 D, 2 G)Totals:25 15 Starters, 10Bench, +4 IR - Head To Head - Weekly Lineups - Stats: PTS ONLY- 1PT/START(G) 2PTS/WIN - 5PTS/SHUTOUT
    Record: 17-7-0 (2015-16 Champ)

C: Seguin, Giroux
    LW: T.Hall, Panarin
    RW: P. Kane, Palmieri
    F: Galchenyuk, Domi, Landeskog
    D: Subban, Ekman-Larrson, Suter, Vatanen

Bench: T.Hertl, V.Nishushkin, Gallagher, Pulkkinen, Mike Reilly, Korpisalo
    Goalies: J.Allen, Lundqvist

Farm Team: Rantanen(RW) Barzal(C) Provorov(D) Nurse(D) Kylington(D)

Follow Me https://twitter.com/#!/MRHOCKEYLOVER87