Thread: Iggy's contract status if year is wiped out?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Iggy's contract status if year is wiped out?

Im sorry if this has been brought up before but I remember reading an article on TSN.ca/nhl about what happens to pending UFAs if the season is lost. (I think the article is gone off the site now?)

The article stated that if a player has the final year left on his contract and this year is lost, that the player is then a free agent?? The reasoning was a player is under contract for a calendar year, not an NHL season of 82 GP. If the lockout costs a year and costs the player the revenue, does it cost the team who signed him that year of services?

They proceeded to list off the notable players affected by this hypothetical result. The list didn't mention Jarome Iginla, who I have to think would be one of the bigger stories in Canada should he just walk into UFA status.

If somebody has a grasp on how this would pan out, could you fill me in pls?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Yup, Iggy would become a free agent if the lockout lasts until after the set date of FA. Really though it depends on if there are any changes to UFA status in the new CBA that could affect it. Most likely any changes wouldn't affect Iggy though. Another interesting idea would be if they made any special circumstances for once the CBA is lifted. They could possibly set a two week period or something until FA would begin after the lockout so that the players do not become FA right away and the teams would have time to discuss a deal.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by grindin griers View Post
    Yup, Iggy would become a free agent if the lockout lasts until after the set date of FA. Really though it depends on if there are any changes to UFA status in the new CBA that could affect it. Most likely any changes wouldn't affect Iggy though. Another interesting idea would be if they made any special circumstances for once the CBA is lifted. They could possibly set a two week period or something until FA would begin after the lockout so that the players do not become FA right away and the teams would have time to discuss a deal.
    Well most likely the UFA season would not begin the day after the CBA is signed so the teams would definitely have time to talk to their own free agents. There would have to be a reset period just so that teams have some time to get their stuff in order under the new rules.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Well most likely the UFA season would not begin the day after the CBA is signed so the teams would definitely have time to talk to their own free agents. There would have to be a reset period just so that teams have some time to get their stuff in order under the new rules.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. Hopefully it doesn't come to that tho.