Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Traders Remorse - Getz for Cally -Do I take the Plan B pill?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Traders Remorse - Getz for Cally -Do I take the Plan B pill?

Gents - I had been working a deal with a fellow GM a few weeks prior to our draft night to secure Getzlaf, and when it was all said and done, I pulled the trigger on a deal that shipped my Callahan away for his Getzlaf during our draft night / party. I was on the rye bus when the deal went down, and since then have hemmed and hawed over this deal as I'm unsure if it was a good move, a wash, or a mistake.

Arguments for / against Getz: traditionally a multi cat stud with a proven track record; 1st line minutes and ample PP opportunities. Unfortunately, he struggled recently and had to deal with some issues (new baby, I think, and a broken face... ouch), Anaheim seems to be lacking the depth players to provide support 'a-la advanced statistics' (think Suter, J Stall), and is headed for a new system under Boudreau. Getz plays C, where there is a lot of talent.

Arguments for / against Cally: had an amazing year last year and I saw a nice progression in his numbers over the past few years. A 5-tool stud who MAY have over produced and peaked (that's why I was ok with dealing him). Unfortunately, he'll take a lot of pucks under Torts and could get hurt, and may be pushed down the depth chart with recent acquisitions and the emergence of some young guns (Haglin, Kreider). Cally is on the RW, a very scarce position right now.

I need a hockey season to play out in order to really gauge this one; without that, I'm at a loss and kind of see it as a wash.

How did I do on that deal? Silly, good, or ok? Any thoughts on my thinking and analysis?

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

R: Wheeler, Simmonds, Voracek, Cole
    D: Chara, Del Zotto, Boyle, Yandle, Campbell, Kulikov, Nikitin
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Smith, Hiller, Brodeur

League settings:
    positions: C(x3), L(x3), R(x3), D(x6), Utility(1), G(x3), Bench(x6) =25 players.
    Cats include: G(1), A(1), +/- (.5), PIM (.25), SHG (2), SHA (1), GWG (2), Hits and blocks (.1), W(2), GA (-.2), SV (.05), SO (5)

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't think you should regret this deal at all.

Let's say Callahan gets an added 10 fantasy points off of the peripherals (hits & blocks) because Getzlaf actually does quite well with these settings as well...Getzlaf could potentially make up that difference with PIM alone...assuming he gets somewhere between 80-100 PIM in a season which in my opinion isn't outrageous.

Goals don't get any more of a boost than assists, so aside from the random stats like SHG and GWG you go with the guy with the higher offensive upside which is easily Getzlaf..not even close.

Not to mention i'd argue you needed more help at the C position than at RW on your squad. Before this deal I assume Shaw was your third C? Now you have an elite three at C and you have four decent options at RW.

I don't see any reason to doubt this deal.

Dobber Sports Ninja

You made the right move, no regrets whatsoever... in fact you should be celebrating.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think you made the right choice even while on the "rye bus". Getzlaf should bounce back whenever they return to the ice.

Dobber Sports Giant

Worst case scenario, it's a wash... I like this deal for you
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i'd take baldy over cally any day of the week.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post

Let's say Callahan gets an added 10 fantasy points off of the peripherals (hits & blocks) because Getzlaf actually does quite well with these settings as well...Getzlaf could potentially make up that difference with PIM alone...assuming he gets somewhere between 80-100 PIM in a season which in my opinion isn't outrageous.

Goals don't get any more of a boost than assists, so aside from the random stats like SHG and GWG you go with the guy with the higher offensive upside which is easily Getzlaf..not even close.

Not to mention i'd argue you needed more help at the C position than at RW on your squad. Before this deal I assume Shaw was your third C? Now you have an elite three at C and you have four decent options at RW.

Yes, I did need help at C. In fact, I hadn't drafted a C yet, and it was relatively late in the draft. I'd stocked up at RW, and saw the opportunity to move one out (Cally) to acquire my 1st C of the draft (Getz). Shaw was drafted a little later to shower up my C's.

Administrator

Have some more rye. You did well.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

Getzlaf be liking the Coin. That should be enough motivation to bring his numbers back into elite level.

Dobber Sports Padawan

From the thread title I assumed you had traded your Getzlaf for Callahan haha.. this is a fleecing in my books and you should be very happy. Getz is a franchise player (top line/top pp) and Callahan is maybe the 4th best forward on his team.
    Dynasty - $100/yr buy-in - YEAR 8 - $100M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C - Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf
    LW - Pavelski, Domi
    RW - Seguin, Perry
    D - Letang, OEL, Carlson, Hamilton, J. Schultz
    Util - M. Koivu, Aho, Spooner, Atkinson
    G - Rask, Quick

BENCH
    Brassard, Bjugstad, Jagr, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Buchnevich, Ekblad, Beaulieu, Severson, Lundqvist
    PROSPECT
    Puljujarvi, Boeser, Barzal, Dal Colle, Fiala, Sergachev, Lindell

FOUR TIME DEFENDING CHAMPION

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post

My thoughts exactly. I went to check the peripherals as well.

To reiterate what bondon said:
    Looking at last years numbers, you basically give up about 100 hits (10 fantasy points).

Seeing as how goals = assists, Callahan in a year you think he may have done VERY WELL, is a VERY LOW year for Getzlaf. Say Callahan stays at 55 pts next year, and Getzlaf bumps to 70 (easily), you're already winning by 5 pts.

The only other side that favours Callahan is SHG/A, and GWG. But GWG isn't very consistent, so to expect 9 from him is a lot. And then if you think he scores fewer goals, it reduces the GWG/SHG numbers even more.

You win
    12-team Rotisserie
    G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, FOW
    W, saves, GAA, SV%, SO

2C-
    2LW- Marchand
    2RW- Giroux
    4D- Rielly
    2G- Bishop, Price

Dobber Sports Rookie

I also think you won this deal. And it's not close. Kudos Mr. Bruneau!

Stat Categories: G(1), A(1), +/- (.5), PIM (.25), SHG (2), SHA (1), GWG (2), Hits and blocks (.1), W(2), GA (-.2), SV (.05), SO (5)
    C(x3), L(x3), R(x3), D(x6), Utility(1), G(x3), Bench(x6)

(Keep 10 skaters, 2 goalies)
    C: Backes, Kuznetsov, Pavelski, Thornton, Grandlund
    L: Benn, E. Kane, Dupuis, Kunitz, N. Filigno
    R: Kassian, Tarasenko, Yakupov, Coyle
    D: B. Smith, Carlson, D. Hamilton, Giordano, Hamonic, Seidenberg, Goligoski
    G: Rask, Schneider, Lindback, Anderson

Dobber Sports Giant

good deal. maybe a wash but id put money on getz.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Guru

Being in a contract year, the biggest question mark is whether or not Getz plays in Anaheim going forward. If there's no season, he's one of the biggest FAs out there.

Regardless, he'll be a 1C wherever he goes methinks -- I think you'll be good to go. He could end up with better linemates.

Worse case scenario: Perry leaves as a FA, Selanne retires, and Getz is stuck lining up with youngsters that are a few years from maturity in a massive rebuild while Callahan takes off with Richards, Gabby and Nash in the Big Apple.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Superstar

I would have to say that the other fellow was probably a drink or two ahead of you in the rye department. Taking Getz to the bank.