Thread: Computer Problem

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Computer Problem

I'm having some trouble with my computer and was wondering if anyone had an idea on how I could troubleshoot to figure it out.

To put it simply, my computer is not booting up. The power on button is not working. I don't think its a problem with the power cord because when plugged in, the green light in the back is on and the fans are running. When I go to power on, nothing happens. My computer won't turn on.

Could it be that something that should be connected to the motherboard and runs through the power button isn't connected properly?

I don't want to pay for something easily fixable. If I could open it up and fix it myself I will. If the problem is too complex and costly, ill just have to get a new computer. If anyone has had this problem or knows how to fix it, some advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Star

Hey ASF,

It looks like you have SOME power, being that the fans are working and you see lights. One obvious question, is it possible that the problem lies with the monitor but the computer is atually on?

Assuming that isn't the case, have you made any significant hardware or software changes recently? If not, there are a few possibilities.

The first thing I would do, is try to power up with another power cable; they are cheap and people usually have an extra one lying around. Also, check that the voltage switch is set correctly on your power supply. I would also try plugging it in to a different outlet, and use a different power bar, or if you are feeling risky, plug it directly into the wall to ensure your power bar is good. After that, check that all of the connections in the computer are sound. Check your RAM and video card that they are seated correctly. Check all of the case connections to the MOBO. If the connector from your "Power on" button to the MOBO is loose, it could be causing the problems. There is an outside shot that your CPU isn't seated correctly, but I REALLY doubt that.

After checking all connections and ensuring it is not a power from the wall issue, odds are it's a component failure in your system. More than likely, it is your power supply or your motherboard, with the power supply being the most likely culprit.

There is also a SLIM chance that it could be your RAM, Video card or processor, but they are unlikely.

Good luck! Computer problems suck lol.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks for the fast reply Rylant.

Time to start checking off... I tried the power cable from the desktop in my basement and the power button still doesn't work. Everyting is set correctly and plugging it into the wall doesn't make a difference.

Guess its time to open it up and check if everything is connected. Only problem is my model is an hp superslim and it is extremely difficult to get to the motherboard and such.

One more note.... I kept messing around with the power cord... plugging it in and out watching the green light go on and off. Every now and then (happened about 3 times) the computer will turn on automatically when I plug the cord in. Or so it seems it's on, but I'm not getting anything on the monitor. The computer turns on but nothing happens except a loud fan noise. There's no monitor output. I hold down the power button for about 4 or 5 seconds to shut it off and then it doesn't turn back on (power button not working). Since it shuts off does that mean the power button does indeed work?
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; November 29, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Star

If the power button shuts down the computer, there is an excellent chance that the button and connection from the case to the MOBO is fine, but I would double check just in case. HP is notorious for this; although they build really solid machines, space for good air flow and making sure you have enough room to move around inside them, is always horrible.

One other thing which is simple and many people overlook; Is it clean inside your computer? I would definitely blow out the dust with compressed air if that could be the issue. With small cases with components cramped inside them, dust can cause even that much more issues.

You said there was a loud fan on start up? Did the noise sound like the fan was rubbing on something or just going too fast? Also, do you know which fan it was? A bad CPU fan, and even a bad video card fan can both cause huge issues at start up. It's probably not as much an issue if it is just a case fan.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

You positive that you can't see a faint outline on the monitor? Maybe the backlight is the issue.

I would try hooking it up to an external monitor as well just to be sure - maybe play with the input switch to make sure it wasn't accidentaly changed to a different input.

Dobber Sports Giant

this happened to my hp and i never figured it out. bought a new one.
    i thought it was the connection from computer to monitor, as it seemed like it was on but couldnt see anything.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

as mentioned above, hook it up to another monitor (use a different cable too if possible). if it works, you know your current monitor/cable is messed up.

if it doesnt work, carefully unplug everything and plug it back exactly where you unplugged it. do not unplug them all at once if you dont know where everything is supposed to go, or you're screwed lol. then try booting it again.

when you press the power button, do you hear anything turning on (besides the lights)?

Dobber Sports Deity

[QUOTE=praba;1041714]as mentioned above, hook it up to another monitor (use a different cable too if possible). if it works, you know your current monitor/cable is messed up.

if it doesnt work, carefully unplug everything and plug it back exactly where you unplugged it. do not unplug them all at once if you dont know where everything is supposed to go, or you're screwed lol. then try booting it again.

when you press the power button, do you hear anything turning on (besides the lights)?[/QUOTE]

Is your hard drive crunching along (you can normally hear them working away) like its firing up or are you simply seeing a power light in the front. Do you see the HD light flashing like its working?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

[QUOTE=Axeman33;1041715]
    Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    as mentioned above, hook it up to another monitor (use a different cable too if possible). if it works, you know your current monitor/cable is messed up.

when you press the power button, do you hear anything turning on (besides the lights)?[/QUOTE]

Is your hard drive crunching along (you can normally hear them working away) like its firing up or are you simply seeing a power light in the front. Do you see the HD light flashing like its working?
    yea, im thinking the harddrive isn't connected properly.

Dobber Sports Deity

I figured thats what you were hitting on. That was something I was wondering when I first read this too. Thats also why I asked if the HDD light was flashing at all. I have yet to see a CPU that didnt have one of those right beside the power light. Those will indicate if the HDD is working (you can normally hear them working as well).
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I figured thats what you were hitting on. That was something I was wondering when I first read this too. Thats also why I asked if the HDD light was flashing at all. I have yet to see a CPU that didnt have one of those right beside the power light. Those will indicate if the HDD is working (you can normally hear them working as well).
    im not sure if all cases have the hdd light, which is why i suggested to listen if he heard anything when it booted up.

but yea, try unplugging and plugging all cables conencted to the hard drive first, and then booting it back up. if that doesnt work, try swapping a hard drive from another working computer if you have one. if that doesnt work, unplug everything one at a time and plug it back in.

Dobber Sports Stud

I brought the entire computer down to my basement and tried using that monitor and plugs but still nothing happened. The power button is not working.

I don't think it would be a monitor issue or a hard drive issue. I replaced my hard drive not to long ago. As for the monitor, I'm using a tv and it turns on but doesn't find a signal to the computer because the computer doesn't turn on. I can't get it to turn on consistently either. When I un plug and re plug the power cable it doesn't always work. Remember, I'm not hitting the power button either... it'll just turn on randomly as soon as the cable is plugged in but nothing happens except a loud fan noise. Holding in the power button for 4 seconds shuts it down... but trying to power up doesn't work. I don't how it could be the power button if it is able to shut it down but not turn it on.

As for the fan noise, its just the loud cpu fan. That would happen in the past when I restarted. I don't think that's a problem.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

is your graphics card connected properly? can you maybe try uploading a video? lol sorry it's hard to troubleshoot over the internet without knowing much about it

Dobber Sports Stud

I don't think I can upload a video from my phone to this forum. I can maybe snap a few pics but that may not help much. I'd really like to become familiar with what went wrong, but I don't want to spend days with no computer (the desktop in my basement is old and slow). I kinda need netbeans, c++, office and other important programs that I use.

This HP model released in 07 and I got it early 08. It lasted 5 years and maybe its time to get a new one. Before this thread ends, I'd appreciate some opinions on some models I've been checking out.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note- my HP Pavilion Slimline's specs: 2048 system memory, 500 gb hdd, amd 64 x 2 dual core processor 5000+

I want a 4000mb ram at least. As for the HDD, 500 gbs is fine (still have one from hp to use), more would just be a bonus. As far as processing speed, I'm not sure what chips are faster than others. Windows 7 64bit is ideal. I wouldn't mind Windows 8 however. I'm considering desktops as well as laptops.

~Desktop~

1 Dell: http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;...ional/20976857

2 Acer: http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;...ium-M/21097537

3 Dell: http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;...luded/21907344

~Laptop~

1 Dell: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009FX...sr=8-8&pi=SL75

2 HP: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009X8...r=8-14&pi=SL75

3 Toshiba: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009AF...r=8-23&pi=SL75

I'm considering the first dell and the acer (desktop), and the toshiba laptop. Good calls?

Any thoughts or advice would be great. I hate making decisions!
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; November 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Actually scratch everything I just said above as I've narrowed my selected down to two.

One, a hp with a duo core processing speed of 3.0ghz. The other an acer with a amd quad-core processing speed of 2.20. Both have 4gb ram.

I'm thinking the acer because of the quad-core processor. The only advantage would be better productivity, right? Running more programs at once. The 3.0ghz is probably a little faster but I think id rather go with the quad core. Any last thought on these two chips?
    Go Jets Go