Thread: Harding

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Harding

I own Harding in a points only, 24 team, keep 11, 23 man roster league. As you can imagine goalies are scarace and was hoping on Harding to break through with the Wild.

With his diagnosis with MS, I'm not sure how to procede with this.

Do I protect another goalie (would be either Bachman, Allen, or Desjardins - not the greatest of choices), protect another skater (probably Timonen if he doesn't retire), or hold on and hope for the best and work on a solution for a second goalie once the game gets back on the ice.

What are other peoples thoughts on his long term value in hockey pools?

I'm not trying to be cold here. I understand there is a real human's health in question here and I wish Harding and anyone that suffers from MS all the best.
    Last edited by shovelguy; November 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
    15 Year Rebuild - Turd Ferguson (commish)
    21/22 Keeper League - Fringe Hockey Division (commish)
    TwoMinutesForRoughing - Sunnyvale Samsquanches
    Vulcanized Rubber Dynasty - Midwest Pipeliners
    Potbelly Hockey - Middleclass Gangsters

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Personally I'd drop him.

My wife has MS, and is considered to have it rather mild. With that in mind she has had to cut back to 4 days a week and realistically if we could afford it she'd drop to 3. I admire his desire to fight on, but it's a seriously debilitating/draining illness. I atruggle to see him being able to continue the workload of a professional athlete. Thing he probably hasn't learnt yet is that he will be able to find energy to get through a game, but it's the day after that will smash him.

I wish him well, but my 2 cents fwiw
    16 Team, 50 Player Capped ($75m) Keeper (Overall Fantasy Points). 12F, 6D, 1G Active

Scoring - G, A, PPG/A, +/-, SHG/A, W, SO, (GA bonus's)

F - T. Johnson, Galchenyuk, Nyquist, A. Lee, Radulov, Nelson, Neal, Sharp, Atkinson, Ribeiro, Ryan, Staal, (Donskoi, Eller, Colbourne, Vermette, Rodin)
    D - Burns, Klingberg, Gohstisbehere, Weber, Parayko, Braun
    G - Allen (Luongo)

Farm
    F - Mantha, Wilson, Fast, Tolchinsky, Bracco, Merkley, Malgin, Novak, N. Paul, K. Roy, Maroon, Laughton, Lindberg
    D - DeAngelo, Sproul, Clendening, Trouba, Weircioch

Banned

agreed. it's a real unfortunate turn for harding and thumbs up to him for being positive about his situation, but his future as an nhl goalie is over... though, i am also saying this from the perspective of someone who has seen two people fall to ms... others, with more acute forms of the disease can endure rigorous activity much longer... i wish him well, but ms can be a nasty motherf*cker...
    Last edited by 27Blue; November 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Don't worry, this is a fantasy hockey forum after all.

I'd have to agree with the others. It's gonna be a long shot for Harding to be able to continue to compete. Would have to see the rest of your team and who is available (more details)..odds are I'd go with Bachman.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Right now my non-keeper roster of players I'd remotely considering keeping are:

F - Kruger, Smith-Pelley, Pirri
    D - Bergeron, Blum, Timonen
    G - Allen, Bachman, Desjardins

It's not much. I was really banking on having Harding as my second goalie.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

does this boost backstroms value since harding is no longer a threat to steal the job?

Administrator

Bachman is very underrated and should be protected over Harding. Sad but you have to separate the art from the artist. You have to do what is best for your team.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by mkl8687 View Post
    does this boost backstroms value since harding is no longer a threat to steal the job?
    I dont know if it boosts Backstoms value, but it certainly helps Hacketts. Not like he wasnt before, but he would be a guy I would be trying to acquire now.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

i tgink it does boost backstrom as they were able to give him more games off because harding was pretty good. he may not get as many nights off now.
    i think harding is still asvalueble or more valuble than Bachman, Allen, or Desjardins.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

I agree with kevinsrangers, I still think Harding is as/more valueable than those other 3.

I read a few comments from Jordan Sigalet. He was a Boston prospect who was also diagnosed with MS. He specifically mentioned the fact that it wasn't MS that ended his playing career, he decided on his own that it was time to move on. He was diagnosed in late 2003 I believe, his 2nd season with Bowling Green. He played another with Bowling Green, and 3 with Providence. He never played a ton of games (37, 25, 19 with Providence), but that's also a few years after he was diagnosed.

Was anyone expecting Harding to start more than 30/82 games any way? 3 or 4 years after being diagnosed, Sigalet played 37 and 25 games. To me, it's entirely possible Harding starts about 30 games... but I do realize that not every person is the same, so there's obviously some inherent risk in keeping Harding.
    12-team Rotisserie
    G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, FOW
    W, saves, GAA, SV%, SO

2C-
    2LW- Marchand
    2RW- Giroux
    4D- Rielly
    2G- Bishop, Price

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by holdUP View Post
    I agree with kevinsrangers, I still think Harding is as/more valueable than those other 3.

I read a few comments from Jordan Sigalet. He was a Boston prospect who was also diagnosed with MS. He specifically mentioned the fact that it wasn't MS that ended his playing career, he decided on his own that it was time to move on. He was diagnosed in late 2003 I believe, his 2nd season with Bowling Green. He played another with Bowling Green, and 3 with Providence. He never played a ton of games (37, 25, 19 with Providence), but that's also a few years after he was diagnosed.

Was anyone expecting Harding to start more than 30/82 games any way? 3 or 4 years after being diagnosed, Sigalet played 37 and 25 games. To me, it's entirely possible Harding starts about 30 games... but I do realize that not every person is the same, so there's obviously some inherent risk in keeping Harding.
    There is/was a possibility that he could take over the #1 gig this upcoming summer when Backstrom's deal runs out. I highly doubt they give him the job less than a full year after being diagnosed.

He also has a history of getting hurt despite not playing all that often. MS just adds to an existing pile of concerns. So with all that in mind, he likely went from potential #1 to permanent backup. He could overcome his issues and have huge success, but in fantasy hockey where we play the odds it's tough to put that much faith in Harding at this point.

I think Bachman is very capable of being productive in Dallas.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the responses...

I might start another thread to find out who should I replace him with. The goal is to find starting goalies and while I hope he can find a way to stay in the game, I have my doubts it will be in a starting role.

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    but in fantasy hockey where we play the odds it's tough to put that much faith in Harding at this point.

I think Bachman is very capable of being productive in Dallas.
    I agree it's quite a stretch that he'll be able to take the #1 job from Backstrom... but it wasn't exactly a sure thing to begin with. Short term, I'd still value Harding over the other mentioned guys, as I had said before.

But yes, long term, and if you're looking at which of those is most likely to be a successful STARTER, then Harding is obviously not at the top of the list.
    12-team Rotisserie
    G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, FOW
    W, saves, GAA, SV%, SO

2C-
    2LW- Marchand
    2RW- Giroux
    4D- Rielly
    2G- Bishop, Price

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As a Harding owner myself (and a big fan of him) I've been mulling over the situation myself and trying to come up with a legitimate expectation... I fortunate enough not too need Harding as a #2 goalie... Instead he is below Niemi, Varlamov and Nuevirth on my chart...

From what those those are saying about the side effects of MS, its more less clearing out my expectations and thoughts on his situation... as said before MS didnt end Siglat's career, it was the fact he wasn't a good goalie...

I think that there will be 2 main things to watch:

Minny's use of him in practice - the Wild will likely have to change and compensate his practice regime in that his starts will be more schedualed (good for us poolies)... obviously he likely wont practice much before a start or game day skate...

Back To Back Starts - Unlikely to see from him, but they are getting rare for most goalies, If Backstrom gets hurt, is traded, or UFAs at the end of the season, Harding could still hold that starting role, but in more the 1 A capacity... It will be unlikely he ever plays a Friday and then Satuerday game...

He once was a possible work horse, top 10 talent, Starter potential... I think he is now downgraded to a likely top 20, 1 A potential starter or capable 1B..

As for the season that could happen.. he would likely start only 1 out of 4 games behind Backstrom which is nothing new...

The question will be how he reacts if Minny elects to let Backstrom go at the end of his contract and roll Harding/Hackett... once capable of 65 starts when healthy... I think we are now looking at 55-50... but short lived... he is late 20s now, and I don't expect him to play past 35 with this diagnosis... he could likely start for 2-3 years before it would be smarter for him to fade off into the sunset, which would be an excellent time frame for Hackett and Kuemper owners if Minny stays the course....

I must echo the fact that Backstrom's value is the same or declineing due to age, with no Harding effect, Harding's value is very much based upon Manager's opinion/trust in him, not on what he can/could do now, Hackett's value grows and becomes a very good #3 to have your hands on with starting potential 4-5 years down the road, and Kuemper's value also rises but he is hampered by Hackett until he jumps him.

Your fantasy hockey thoughts never throw out your true emotions in a situation when asking a question like this. We all understand that health issues can effect your management and because you ask these questions doesnt make you seem cold... Many people delt with these questions with Mario Lemeiux and Saku Koivu, every concussion makes us question 'squishy melons' like Crosby, Lindros, Connolly and Pronger. Berard's eye... Everyone understands that we care about the player's health in all these situations, but from a game standpoint we must figure out these issues much the same as NHL managers.

Personally, I've been pleased to have traded away Luc Bourdon and Pasi Nurminen barely months before their careers abruptly ended, not because I'm a sadist, but because I got value before they were of no value, I still mourned the loss of Bourdon and felt bad for the unfortunate life change of Nurminen the same as everyone else...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck